Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25: Halcyon or Ballistic?

I'm planning to add an S25 to my modest Bihn collection. This will be for EDC, and I'm really struggling with whether to go with Halcyon or Ballistic.

I've owned a Smart Alec in the old Dyneema for years. It's been a great travel companion and an awesome beach/pool bag because of it's cavernous space and light weight. But for EDC, I need separate compartments and organization. I also have a black halcyon Pilot. It's my go-to "personal item" for flying, but I'd rather have a backpack for EDC (due to the weight & volume I haul and maneuverability on crowded trains).

I've found that Halcyon has all the durability and toughness I need. The only downside is that does not hold its shape and tends to flop around when underpacked. I'm not sure whether this would be as noticeable in a backpack. Opinions about which fabric would be best on an S25 used for EDC would be most appreciated. Things to consider:

• The Ballistic weighs a full pound + more than Halcyon. That seems pretty noticeable. Is it?
    • I don't give a hoot about "professional appearance." That's not a factor for this purchase.
    • I will not be using this for travel. It's strictly for EDC to work.
    • Buying both and sending one back doesn't sound like a great option. I'd rather not pay an extra $25 in to/from shipping.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're really want to see both, $25 to send one back is not that bad. I always figure it would have cost me X dollars to drive to the store and look at them, vs. the convenience of having it arrive on my doorstep and let me test pack the bags in the privacy of my own home.

It sounds like you already really like Halcyon, and the S25 is going to hold its shape a bit more than the SA because it has more pockets and structure.

I'm a ballistic lady, myself, because I don't like the floppiness of Halcyon. The new thinner ballistics are really nice, and the colors are gorgeous.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agree with @BWeaves, the new 525 thinner ballistics are dandy
    they are basically the in between choice...

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a Halcyon Synapse with a frame sheet for stability? I have a parapack Synapse 25 (close to 400D Halcyon in weight and structure) and it doesn't seem floppy to me. @SIM has a thread about his Halcyon Synapse 25 with a frame sheet.

Look again at the stated weight of the bags. There's not a full pound difference. It looks to be about 6oz.

Aisle seat
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For larger bags I always tend to go with ballistic, as I imagine over time it will hold up much better than Halcyon. EDC can mean a lot of wear for a bag...
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a halcyon S25 and it looks great underpacked. I would say it looks svelte rather than floppy. Also, you can fit a bit more in the smaller pockets in halcyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan@heart View Post
    I'm planning to add an S25 to my modest Bihn collection. This will be for EDC, and I'm really struggling with whether to go with Halcyon or Ballistic.

I've owned a Smart Alec in the old Dyneema for years. It's been a great travel companion and an awesome beach/pool bag because of it's cavernous space and light weight. But for EDC, I need separate compartments and organization. I also have a black halcyon Pilot. It's my go-to "personal item" for flying, but I'd rather have a backpack for EDC (due to the weight & volume I haul and maneuverability on crowded trains).

I've found that Halcyon has all the durability and toughness I need. The only downside is that does not hold its shape and tends to flop around when underpacked. I'm not sure whether this would be as noticeable in a backpack. Opinions about which fabric would be best on an S25 used for EDC would be most appreciated. Things to consider:

• The Ballistic weighs a full pound + more than Halcyon. That seems pretty noticeable. Is it?
    • I don't give a hoot about "professional appearance." That's not a factor for this purchase.
    • I will not be using this for travel. It's strictly for EDC to work.
    • Buying both and sending one back doesn't sound like a great option. I'd rather not pay an extra $25 in to/from shipping.
    Two words: frame sheet, it's made my s25 a dream!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB