Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tristar vs Aeronaut 30

I have a tristar and have had it since it was released and love it. It has gone around the world with me including a few month long trips.

I have been debating about the aeronaut 30 or 45. I think the 45 will be too big.

I am wondering if the 30 holds more than the tristar.

My packing list is pretty straight forward and I usually fill the tristar right up!

I do love the bag a lot just sometimes feel that the center portion can be a bit limiting.

Broussard, Louisiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.. TriStar has less packing room than A30. A30 is capable of holding more, but no dedicated laptop slot.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TriStar has a larger capacity than the A30, but it's configured differently so it depends on what you're packing and how you pack it.

You might find this post useful

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ht=#post155484

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of discussions on the TS/WF vs A30/A45 bags so here's another.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...-know-now.html

At the end of the day its what and how you pack that is the determining factor. The WF/TS need flatter packing styles which work better for formal clothes (at least for men) such as suits, dress shirts, etc and doesn't look out of place in a business meeting. The A30/A45 are basically duffel bags and are more flexible with different packing styles and odd shaped items like multiple shoes, etc. The EC medium folder works perfect in the WF/TS but doesn't work very well with the other bags. Every business trip I take uses that folder.

Side note, I had TS and moved to a WF because I found the 3 sections limiting and preferred the 2 larger sections in the WF. I can pack almost as much in a WF as a TS and would love an 18x12x8 WF.
    Last edited by hachkc; 01-30-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the A30 held my stuff, but wasn't big enough to hold an EC packing folder. Plus, I had to fold everything too small to get it to fit.

I like the 2-D acreage of the A45 better than the A30, and underpack A45. If I unzip one of the interior walls, the EC medium packing folder fits perfectly in the A45. I prefer to underpack my bags instead of stuffing them full. They just seem more comfortable to carry that way.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    Lots of discussions on the TS/WF vs A30/A45 bags so here's another.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...-know-now.html

At the end of the day its what and how you pack that is the determining factor. The WF/TS need flatter packing styles which work better for formal clothes (at least for men) such as suits, dress shirts, etc and doesn't look out of place in a business meeting. The A30/A45 are basically duffel bags and are more flexible with different packing styles and odd shaped items like multiple shoes, etc. The EC medium folder works perfect in the WF/TS but doesn't work very well with the other bags. Every business trip I take uses that folder.

Side note, I had TS and moved to a WF because I found the 3 sections limiting and preferred the 2 larger sections in the WF. I can pack almost as much in a WF as a TS and would love an 18x12x8 WF.
    I also found the WF to be a much better bag than the TS due to the two big sections rather than 3 small sections. I can pack about the same mount of clothes, fit shoes much more easily, and still have room for a laptop and gadgets. I believe the WF is the best travel bag in the lineup.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow I find it interesting you can fit the same in WF as you can in the TS!!! that one was never on my radar because I thought it would be way too small.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish the WF was TS sized. I like having fewer pockets, but larger ones.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I wish the WF was TS sized. I like having fewer pockets, but larger ones.
    That would probably be the perfect bag!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the WF was the same size as the TS, AND, had a TS like carrying handle, THEN it would be the perfect bag!!!!

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
    If the WF was the same size as the TS, AND, had a TS like carrying handle, THEN it would be the perfect bag!!!!
    So agree on the handles. I like the WF 18x12 vs the TS 19x13 but would love the WF to be 8" deep plus TS handles.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    So agree on the handles. I like the WF 18x12 vs the TS 19x13 but would love the WF to be 8" deep plus TS handles.
    Haha. I like that the depth of the WF, but want it to be 19 x 13. And I want it to have Pilot like front pockets instead of the flat ones.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 5 day trip to California coming up and should be able to use the WF for everything. This will include work wear, exercise clothes, shoes, laptop in a DLBC, etc. Looking forward to it!

Broussard, Louisiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good discussion.. and I stand corrected regarding A30, Tri Star volume.. my mistake.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the contention that it depends on how you pack. My wife has an A30 which is an awesome bag. A couple of times I've had the idea to take it for a spin, thrown it on the bed and started packing. I get halfway done and then pull out the Tri-Star. I have no doubt the A30 would fit all my stuff, but I'm probably just conditioned to organizing things in a certain way, which is why the A30 hasn't felt right for me when packing for a business trip. Now, a weekend or vacation trip would probably yield a different result, but then I'd have to try and pry it away from my wife!

I also agree that sometimes the 3 sections of the Tri-Star is not perfect, and that a two-section bag like the WF would provide more flexibility. I almost wish TB would produce a "Bi-Star" or whatever, a two-section bag that is between the Tri-Star and WF in size. I've considered getting a WF several times when carrying a partially-filled Tri-Star, however I do not have a bottomless wallet, and the fact is that the Tri-Star looks and carries very well even when only partially filled.

I will say one other thing: Many up here will claim that they can carry a week's worth of clothes in this or that, but you need to take this with a grain of salt as there are many variables such as the size of clothes (I wear XL which obviously takes up more space than M), as well as whether they are washing underwear in their hotel sink, etc (I don't because my trips typically aren't that long, and if they were I'd probably just do some laundry in the hotel). Anyway, people are different sizes, have different types of trips, and have different thresholds for this kind of stuff, so just factor this into your decision, too.
    Last edited by Htown; 02-06-2018 at 09:56 AM.