Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Briefcase vs. Cadet for center of Tri-Star?

Hello,

A couple of years ago I purchased a Tri-Star, and since that time have been alternating between using my Air Boss and Tri-Star, just depending on how much gear I've had to bring. As time has passed I've learned a few things about light packing, organization, and just my general "workflow" during a trip, in terms of what feels organized and convenient, and what doesn't, and I pretty much use only the Tri-Star now.

I've arrived at the conclusion that I would like to begin storing all of my "on-plane" and "in-rental-car" stuff in a single bag. The packing list would look something like this:

- Storage clipboard (approx 1" thick)
    - 13" laptop (not every trip but when needed)
    - Kindle Voyage
    - Travel-size bible (about 3/4" thick, 5x8" size)
    - Small Moleskin journal
    - Basic meds (Advil, Tylenol, etc)
    - Apple EarBuds
    - Other general small stuff such as gum, small bottle of hand sanitizer, pen, a few business cards, small snack, etc.

My idea is to pull this bag out of the Tri-Star as I board and keep with me in the seat. Then put back into the Tri-Star as I move through the airport to rental car, and then pull out again to keep with me in the front seat as I go to visit a site (I'm a commercial appraiser), and basically use this to work out of during the day.

So my questions are:

1. Will either of these two bags work, or would I be pushing it trying to get all of this into the DLBC?

2. Would the Cadet packed like this basically kill the utility of one of the other Tri-Star sections (due to bulge, etc)?

I like the idea of the Cadet, even though it's double the weight of the DLBC, because when I return home I could just take the personal items out (Kindle, etc) and then use as my EDC briefcase, rather than sorting stuff back out to my current briefcase, nightstand, etc as I currently do (I currently use a Red Oxx Metro briefcase, which I like well enough, with the exception that it has trouble standing up).

That said, if the DLBC would adequately hold all the stuff listed, then upon returning home I could just pull out the Kindle, etc, and put the entire DLBC into the Metro.

My idea behind moving to this "bag within a bag" system is that it would make it easier to pack for trips, unpack upon a return, and as noted before be more convenient during the trip. Currently when packing I feel like I'm having to remember too many "components" (power cords are in this little bag; Kindle and other personal items are in this little bag with me on the plane; laptop/clipboard is in the overhead bin so I have to get up and pull it out if in mid-flight I decide I want to get some work done on the plane, etc".

FWIW, I use a large Tri-Star packing cube for clothes in the back section of the Tri-Star (most of my trips are 1-3 days). I'm 6'1 and 195 so all my clothes are XL. About 50% of the time I'll take a pair of size 11 jogging shoes for a hotel workout or whatever. I have a small toiletry kit which fits a 9-1-1 bag + the other usual stuff.

Thank you in advance for your ideas and opinions!

Peace,
    Chris
    Last edited by Htown; 02-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hesitated to comment because I don't have or even seen the Cadet, in person.

But, I have a Daylight Briefcase and it is perfect for the Tristar.

However, I am not sure that both, the storage clipboard and the laptop. would both fit in the main compartment of the Daylight Briefcase.

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daylight Briefcase vs. Cadet for center of Tri-Star?-fullsizeoutput_7bd-jpgDaylight Briefcase vs. Cadet for center of Tri-Star?-fullsizeoutput_7ba-jpg

I have a DLBC and just packed it with a storage clipboard and my 13" MacBook Air.

I can fit the storage clipboard and laptop in the main compartment and there is still room for smaller items without getting bulky. I have a soft-sided devotional of the same size as your Bible and it slips into the front slant-zip compartment, and it's still loose enough that you can use the horizontal-zipped section for small items.

The DLBC is small and flexible, and I would think it would be much more packable than the Cadet.

HTH!
    Last edited by KatrinkaWinkle; 02-07-2018 at 06:15 AM.
    EDC: SK/SCB, Swift for knitting, DLBC for light carry days, shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: indigo, kiwi, aubergine, verde, navy, zest dyneema, nordic dyneema, nordic halcyon, black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the replies.

KatrinkaWinkle, wow, thanks for taking the time to test out the clipboard and laptop. Extremely helpful and I think you've sold me on the DLBC. I was leaning that way anyway for a variety of reasons, but that helped push me over the edge.

Now I just have to wait for them to be available as they're currently "in production"!

Thank you again and enjoy the day!

Chris

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're welcome!

Another thing I like about the DLBC is that it can also be used as a day bag on the weekends. Easily holds a lightweight jacket or sweater, phone/wallet/etc., a book or Kindle, snacks, tour guides, etc. Worn cross-body, it curves to conform to your body and is lightweight.
    EDC: SK/SCB, Swift for knitting, DLBC for light carry days, shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: indigo, kiwi, aubergine, verde, navy, zest dyneema, nordic dyneema, nordic halcyon, black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, good to know. Definitely seems pretty versatile.

It looks like the only ones in production are the Halycon versions, which is fine w/ me, but I do like the look of your Cordura version.

Forum Member
    Conifer, CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the DLBC. I once took a 3 day business trip with only that bag.
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, Daylight Briefcase, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping the Daylight line will be eventually produced in the new ballistic fabrics. I think they are perfectly suited for it, because there would be slightly more structure, but the smoothness (vs. cordura) would make it easy to nest the bags inside of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Htown View Post
    Awesome, good to know. Definitely seems pretty versatile.

It looks like the only ones in production are the Halycon versions, which is fine w/ me, but I do like the look of your Cordura version.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bcchaplin, Agreed, my preference would definitely be the ballistic for the structure.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Htown View Post
    ...but I do like the look of your Cordura version.
    I also like the Cordura of my Cocoa/Steel DLBC. To me it looks more natural, less manufactured which I prefer in a briefcase. However, in most my other Bihn travel cases and packs I prefer Halcyon because of its technical look.

Go figure 🤨
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Lincolnshire (UK)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just dug out my old post from 2014 - Cadet inside Tri-Star still works a treat ...

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...-tri-star.html

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UK-Limey,

OK great, now you got me considering the Cadet again! Big Grin

Great write-up/review on the Cadet/Tristar combo. What I really like about the Cadet is the organization. For example I can already see the pouch where I'd keep my business cards, my hand sanitizer, my drink coupons for Southwest Airlines, etc. And it has places for extra pens, etc. From what I can tell, with the DLBC most/all of this would be thrown into a single pocket or two.

BTW what part of UK are you in? I'm wrapping up a fascinating 10-book historical fiction series, the Saxon Tales by Bernard Cromwell. It basically chronicles the period of large, organized Dane (Viking) incursions, and the Saxon response, between the 860's and 937, the Battle of Brunanburh, which as I'm sure you know is considered to mark the birth of the unified England we know today.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for the DLBC - in Halcyon, it slips out of the Tri-Star middle compartment really easily, and I use mine currently as my EDC as well. At times, I wish I had a bit more capacity to carry incidental shopping, but at the same time I'm grateful that I don't get sore shoulders from carrying too much weight!