Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

York, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stowaway/Pilot/Co pilot

I love my Co-pilot, but have always wondered what would its big brother the Pilot would be like. I tend to use it for overnight stays with a change of clothes (no shoes), IPad and toiletries. I donít feel like I use the 2 front pockets very effectively, probably due to the fact that my side effect doesnít fit in one of them. Also, my toiletry bag doesnít fit very well, its a rectangular shape non TB bag. Its also my go to bag when flying, thatís if Im allowed 2 bags, as usually take my Synapse 25.
    How do people use the 2 front pockets, and what bags fit in the front pockets well.
    If TB produced a CP in Halcyon/NWS I would order one and compare them side by side, but they donít!
    So, Im looking at ordered the Pilot in Halcyon/NWS, but today noticed the stowaway.
    Has anyone tried both bags, thoughts on why one worked over the other?.
    Im looking at putting an order in during March/April so Sis can bring it over as a birthday pressie, so Im planning in advance..Its all part of the process for me.
    TIA
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never seen a co-pilot in real life, but I did order a Stowaway and a Pilot to test pack.

The Stowaway is an amazing little bag, very thoughtfully designed. That being said, for my packing style, the Pilot just worked better. The 3DOC, side effect, and travel cubelet fit in the front, and my 13” MBP fits in the main compartment. It’s similar in size and capacity to the Makers Bag, I think.

My guess is if you like the WF or TS, you will love the Stowaway. And if you prefer the A30/45, you might like the extra space in the pilot more.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m having a similar internal debate.

I can fit my SE in my halcyon CP. it’s a tight fit so I don’t usually do it, but it fits. I can fit my kindle or iPad mini in the other pocket. The space for the water bottle is a bit compromised with all the pockets full.

AND... I was thrilled to discover that my new Surface Pro fits in the main pocket!

Question for Stowaway folks - can you attach a hip belt to the middle of the bag when converted to a backpack? I’d would think that would help with the gapping people mention.

Trying to justify the Stowaway...
    Last edited by Traveltech; 02-14-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pilot is my favorite TB bag and I use it as a laptop bag weekly for work. In the right front pocket I put a Travel Cubelet (which I use as a purse), a small notepad, and a Pocket Pouch with my train pass. Left front pocket holds my charger, mouse, pen, and a small halcyon pouch with misc items. Water bottle pocket holds a water bottle or any extra odds and ends I need to carry.

I also use the Pilot as my one bag for long weekend trips. My Travel Cubelet stays in the right front pocket and the left front pocket holds a 3DOC with my makeup in it. The water bottle pocket holds my hairbrush and random bits and pieces. All of my clothes fit into the laptop pocket; I use Eagle Creek packing cubes and small packing folder.

I first bought the Pilot in ballistic but sold it after a few months and bought one in halycon. I love the flexibility of the halcyon fabric (very helpful for those long weekend trips) and it looks professional just like the ballistic material does.
    Last edited by Shortie; 02-14-2018 at 04:41 PM.

MA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that you are looking to go from Pilot to CP as I'm moving in the opposite direction. I love my Pilot for the things you describe, short get aways, light packing trips etc. But I find it too much day to day and I crave the smaller footprint of the CP. I love the Pilot large packing cube as I feel like I can get more in the packet without wrinkling and jamming it in. I find I don't use the small cubes for the front pockets instead I use 3DOC or some combination of other size OPs it other manufactures items.
    DogBikeSpringRainbowTengu

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my Pilot as my only suitcase for a 3 day trip. I love my SK, but I'll use my SE instead because it fits in one of the front pockets. I didn't think the TC fit very well in the Pilot front pocket, so I sold my TC. The other front pocket gets TB 3-d clear packing cube with my toiletries. Plus there is room for other stuff. The back can carry my laptop and a small Eagle Creek Specter packing folder, plus other items. My main problem is what to put in the water bottle pocket, since I don't carry a water bottle. Because it's a hard pocket to get things in and out of, I tend to put things I don't want to lose (pill bottles, jewelry) in the bottom of it. I'll put a scarf or shawl or underpants rolled up in an Eagle Creek Specter stuff sack or tube cube, so my clothing doesn't snag on the zipper.

The Pilot isn't an everyday bag for me unless I need to take a computer somewhere. I don't tend to carry my electronics around. They stay put and I come to them.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Stowaway seems like it is a double-wide Daylight Briefcase size wise. The DLBC has been my "insert" case to go into my Tri-Star, my all time favorite Ego/Super Ego and even my RedOxx Air Boss and Briggs & Riley rolling case.

So, the question is - do I need a Stowaway? I'm thinking I'd like something larger than the DLBC but not as large as my Empire Builder or one of the Egos. Sometimes I go to meetings (computer in the DLBC) and walk away with a couple of inches of paper. Some of these meetings include a plane or train ride.

Discuss

I'm thinking if I left with the Stowaway packed as if it were a
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote about the Stowaway here https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...i-tristar.html

I have a copilot for daily stuff but wanted the Stowaway for work and travel.

Iím still getting used to it but I can see it working better for travel than the pilot (which Iíve owned in the past) as it has the different compartments for segregating things. I could never effectively use the large open space of the pilot.

Time will tell though if I stick with it as an overnight bag rather than me just reaching for my Western Flyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak to the Stowaway, but I've tested both the CP and Pilot together (both halcyons and ballistics). And another thing to note re: the Pilot depending on your size/shape/physical mobility, Jaffa: in the main compartment of the Pilot, the two internal pockets are situated on the front wall (toward the bottle pocket/front pockets), whereas those two internal pockets on the CP are placed on the back wall (toward your body). In addition to the ease of sliding the SE into a front pocket of the Pilot (really does make a huge difference CP to P), if you're large or busty (or both, like I am), having those pockets placed toward the front on the Pilot makes it waaaaaay easier to access those pockets while wearing the bag, as opposed to having to take off the CP to get at those contents with ease. (Those pockets were one of the CP dealbreakers for me since one of the primary use cases for the bag for me were access to those contents while standing/walking/on public transport.)

I kept the Pilot for use as an occasional day bag (only when carrying laptop as BWeaves noted) and to double as a weekend/overnight/carry-on bag. But I did consider the Stowaway as well while figuring out what to order to test. (Which I understand isn't an option here.) Ultimately I went the CP/P route (and didn't test the Stowaway) because of the P's easier access to a water bottle (necessary for me as a day bag) and because I roll or use packing cubes for most of my clothes so I'm okay with that open space in the Pilot, and I figured I could eke out an extra Liter of volume for the same bag weight. (The Stowaway's 525 sounds pretty sweet, though.)

York, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies so far, Ive decided to stick with the CP and P options and discounted the Stowaway.
    So, think I will keep my CP at the moment and looking to order a Pilot and then I can compare, pack them and see which size works best for me.
    Thanks
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the CoPilot since it was released and its my favorite personal carry bag and EDC bag of all that I've had and used. I use it so much for business when I don't have to pack files or a laptop that the black ballistic has held up well and its also a fine bag in the business environment. My expandable Tumi ballistic briefcase has been replaced 70% of the time. Plus as a personal bag for traveling the CP to me is the ideal size. Great bag!