Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 strap fit

I recently got a new Synapse 19 and unfortunately the straps do not fit well. The majority of the weight sits on the inner edge of the strap, which digs into my neck. I have narrow, sloping shoulders and it feels as if the straps are designed for squarer shoulders.

Two questions:

Has anybody who had the same problem found a solution that let you wear the bag comfortably? Other than the straps I like the bag so I would like to make it work if I can.

If you had this problem with the S19, how do other Tom Bihn backpacks compare? I'm most curious about the Luminary and the Aeronaut 30.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tested the Synapse 19 loaded with stuff?

I have the same bag and the same shoulders, mine fits fine, but, when I first got it, I had to fill it up, then test the best straps configuration. I also use the Sternum Strap extensively.

I had the very same problem with an S25 and returned it, but Tom and Nik have designed the Internal Frame, which I absolutely want to try.

I have a Daylight Backpack and a Luminary that fit really well, even with one shoulder carry, which I would never dream of doing with other backpacks. They are not as roomy as the Synapse 19, but, if you don't carry the kitchen sink, they are fine EDC bags.

My first Tom Bihn Bag was a Brain Bag, I love it! I traveled and went to classes with it for 6 years.

Make sure that the Synapse 19 has item(s) that fills up the bottom of the bag, then add more items, load balancing is important.

Don't worry, after sometimes with the Synapse 19, load balancing technique becomes second nature.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, same problem fully loaded and lightly loaded.

Adjustment wise, what I tried was putting the backpack on, using the waist strap to get it to sit comfortably along the curve of my back, adjusting the straps so they were comfortably snug, and then doing the same with the sternum strap. Did not alleviate the problem.

I compared the strap attachment point with my old backpack which fits decently, and it's considerably narrower on the S19. I know TB has gone back and forth on this, so I guess the old wider version would have worked better for me. I think I have to return this one. Too bad, since I love the size and pocket layout.

How does the strap attachment point compare on the Luminary? Are the straps more widely spaced?

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son had the same issue. The inner sides of the S19 straps turned in and dug into his neck. After wearing the bag for 1-2 weeks the padding in the straps relaxed and now lay flat and are comfortable.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omg, yes! I thought I was the only one out there! I traveled for a long wknd to NJ in November and took a recently purchased s19, it was maybe 2/3 packed. I am a very petite person, 5ft 120lbs so I thought it would be perfect. I tend to fill any bag I own when I pack so my thinking was it would restrict me from taking too much. Pack wise, it was a perfect size, but OMG I had such bad shoulder and neck pain at the base of my neck. I ended up having to take it off in the airport and hand carry it. It weighed maybe 7lbs at most. When I posted to the forum no one else had a similar issue. I have an s25 with frame sheet now and it is awesome. Feels like I am carrying nothing at all. Below is a pic of me wearing the s19 at the airport.Synapse 19 strap fit-img_20171122_062444427-jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by melminimalist; 02-28-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loma View Post
    I compared the strap attachment point with my old backpack which fits decently, and it's considerably narrower on the S19.
    Is the other backpack the same height, and where does the top of the bag sit compared to the S19?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. same problem here. There are a few threads on others having this same problem. I didn't find a good solution yet though.