Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cloud vs Black in the new 525 ballistic

I know this has been discussed before, but for those who have carried items in the new 525 ballistic fabric for a few months now, how has Cloud held up?

I already have a black 525 Travel Cubelet I have used, pretty much every day since the first batch was released, and I see no visible scuff marks or stains on it. I wonder how something in a Cloud exterior would compare.

Any general comments about the two colors would be appreciated as well. I am considering which exterior would work best for a Small Cafe Bag. This would be used as a tour bag while traveling. Probably, black is the most practical, but there is something nice about the Cloud. Since it is a casual bag anyway, I don't really care if it looks "professional" or not, but nevertheless I can't seem to decide between them.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to try a S19, and I wanted to check out the new fabrics, so I checked the store ó the only colorway that wasn't unappealing was Cloud/Island. I like Island interiors, but I was expecting not to like Cloud. As the bag sat around waiting for it's frame, Cloud started to grow on me. Long story short, I've kept the S19 since the frame came out (2 1/2 weeks ago?), and Cloud has held up fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images Cloud vs Black in the new 525 ballistic-s19-zipper-pulls-jpg 

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!
    Now the Cloud Small Cafe Bag is no longer available -- pretty sure it had previously been listed as "in production". Strange. So my choice may be made. Well, the black may be more versatile anyway.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-28-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cloud/viridian SK and I think it's a great combo and seems to hold up just fine
    cloud kind of sneaks up on you

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Now the Cloud Small Cafe Bag is no longer available -- pretty sure it had previously been listed as "in production"
    It was definitely listed yesterday.

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're up for order now.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    I have a cloud/viridian SK and I think it's a great combo and seems to hold up just fine
    cloud kind of sneaks up on you
    I have the same color combo for my Side Kick. Cloud is a great choice if you want a neutral colored bag that goes with everything and the pop of viridian is cheerful. I bought the bag last fall and it still looks new; no stains or scuff marks.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    I have the same color combo for my Side Kick. Cloud is a great choice if you want a neutral colored bag that goes with everything and the pop of viridian is cheerful. I bought the bag last fall and it still looks new; no stains or scuff marks.
    That's funny; I tried that too and did not like the Viridian as much as I thought I would. It's too bright for me. Or Barney the Dinosaurish. Or something. However, I think Cloud with a more toned-down interior color might be perfect. Anyway, I ordered the Small Cafe Bag in Cloud and will try it out. The Small Cafe Bag is a good size for me, and with the Travel Cubelet inside, it's pretty much the perfect touring bag.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-01-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't do viridian as a primary color (or any of the other bright colors TB offers) but I love it and the other bright colors as an interior option. It's like how many women's handbags are being designed now: the outside is a nice, safe conservative neutral but the inside is bright colors or patterns.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloud is my new favorite color! I have a Pop Tote and Side Effect in Cloud and just love the color. I find it goes with everything and doesn't show dirt. I was surprises as I thought it was sort of industrial looking online but it is lovely in person.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have items in cloud and grey cordura to compare? Grey cordura is the perfect shade/tone in my opinion but Iíve not ordered cloud items as they seem a lighter grey.

So hard to tell from the website alone. Could anyone share some comparison photos if possible.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloud is a little bit lighter, but I think the biggest difference is it has a more blue-grey tone, and grey cordura has a more black-grey tone. I like them both and don't think I'd have a preference of one over the other, although I like the slick/smooth finish of the Cloud a little bit better than the rough cordura (mostly because of pet hair.)

I just happened to have mine tucked together from last week's move, so here's a quick photo. The light isn't great in here but it's a pretty accurate representation of the shade difference if not necessarily the color tones.

Cloud vs Black in the new 525 ballistic-grey-vs-cloud-web-size-jpg
    Rambling On. . . . .

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    Cloud is a little bit lighter, but I think the biggest difference is it has a more blue-grey tone, and grey cordura has a more black-grey tone. I like them both and don't think I'd have a preference of one over the other, although I like the slick/smooth finish of the Cloud a little bit better than the rough cordura (mostly because of pet hair.)

I just happened to have mine tucked together from last week's move, so here's a quick photo. The light isn't great in here but it's a pretty accurate representation of the shade difference if not necessarily the color tones.

Cloud vs Black in the new 525 ballistic-grey-vs-cloud-web-size-jpg
    Thanks for posting. This gives a good comparison and is how I imagined the two comparing with cloud being slightly lighter. They both look great though.

Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'll have a lot of Cloud items to photograph when I get my Small Cafe Bag, because I also ordered the Daylight Briefcase in that color. Mostly because it had a Dawn interior, whereas the DLBC offered in Blue had the dreaded Grass inside (sorry, but that combination is so awful to me. I keep wondering why the blue exterior is never combined with cloud inside; that would look really nice.)

I don't know if I like the way the black elements of the DLBC stand out so prominently against the lighter grey in that particular design, giving it kind of a busy look, but it may appear different in real life than in the product photo.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Does anyone have items in cloud and grey cordura to compare? Grey cordura is the perfect shade/tone in my opinion but I’ve not ordered cloud items as they seem a lighter grey.

So hard to tell from the website alone. Could anyone share some comparison photos if possible.

Thanks.

Here's a picture that I posted early on comparing the Small Cafe Bag in Cloud/Cloud with the same bag in Grey Cordura:

Again, you can follow the link back to the original thread. Note that the 525d Ballistic has a more reflective surface.

HTH

moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast