Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: New EDC

Georgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New EDC

Hey, all!

I have a question about preferences for an EDC. I currently have a Kavu Rope Sling Bag that I love, but it's starting to get some holes after 7 or 8 years of regular usage. The newer Kavu bags are a bit different style, and I'm not quite as big of a fan (also can't find a pattern I'm sold on). Anyway, I have a PCSB in halcyon (which I used as my personal item on a month long trip to Europe) but I feel like it doesn't have enough structure for me as an EDC, if that makes sense. I think I need something in Ballistic, with maybe one extra pocket. Here's what I normally carry: small wallet, phone, keys, earbuds and box cutter for work in mini Q-kit, chapstick, some pens, small container of ibuprofren, and small pack of tissues. I carried more with me in Europe, so I didn't mind the PCSB so much then as I could use my journal and other things to make it more structured-feeling, but I don't find myself pulling it out to use much these days except for sometimes on day-hikes or short trips. I also have an Olympus OM-D E-M5 with a 14-42mm lens. I sometimes like to take it on hikes or other places, and would like to be able to put it in the bag and feel like it has some protection. What bags do y'all suggest? I definitely want to go with Ballistic over halcyon, but want to know your opinions on the bags. Any help is greatly appreciated!

edit: Forgot to mention that I also pack the Size 1 Travel Stuff Sack with some gloves and small tube of lotion for my hands (I have eczema and can't use the latex gloves at work).
    Last edited by SouthernBelle; 03-05-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't speak to the camera carry, but if you do decide to keep the PCSB as your EDC, there are a few posts about adding structure and organization with a medium (double) organizer pouch.

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post144578

P.S. I never link back to posts, so I hope that works!!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe a Luminary? I haven't owned one - yet - but it seems like a good size for the load you describe, without the Olympus though. How big is the camera with lens attached?

For a day when I'm carrying a camera (an old Nikon D80 with 28-105 lens) - I often carry it in my Synapse 19 using a hoody or scarf as padding. I used to use a Domke wrap (19" works for most permutations of my setup, 15" is more streamlined but requires a little more care to put on). Ultimately though it was fussier than I needed and I was happy with just using whatever extra layer (shirt, hat) I would be carrying anyway.

For travel (long flight, lots of stops) when I might have more than one bag/child to look after and thus want some extra padding to buffer my inattention, I use the Smart Alec (now only available on eBay or other secondary markets) since it has a padded bottom, and a nice wide opening that's forgiving of sloppy packing. The SA's bigger than the S19 or Luminary, of course, so it's personal preference whether you need that much capacity.

(If I don't need to pull the camera out frequently (e.g. I'm in transit rather than sightseeing), I might put it in a large Travel Stuff Sack to keep spills and crumbs at bay.)

There used to be a one-shoulder TB bag called the Buzz. It does pop up on eBay from time to time, so it might be worth keeping an eye out for that.

Georgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @kathryn: The link worked perfectly - thank you! I'll definitely look into those options! My Kavu isn't quite ready for retirement yet despite the few small holes, but I decided I should start planning on a new bag now...

@haraya: I have thought about the Luminary, but I would prefer more of a cross-body bag (like my current Kavu) than a backpack for an EDC. I do have the S25 for school (I'm in college) but don't find myself wanting a backpack for EDC. With the lens on, my camera is approximately W4.75" x H3.55" x D3.75". I do normally carry it when I'm out and using it, but when I get in the car or go in a store or something I like to put it in my bag. My mom has the small cafe bag, which I like but I really need the opening to have a zipper.

Edit: if anyone could tell me how to upload a photo to this thread, I'll show what I normally carry and what I might carry when I have my camera on me. I'm on a mac (don't know if that makes a difference), but I can't seem to get the insert image button to work. Doesn't appear to upload the files.
    Last edited by SouthernBelle; 03-05-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
    @kathryn: The link worked perfectly - thank you! I'll definitely look into those options! My Kavu isn't quite ready for retirement yet despite the few small holes, but I decided I should start planning on a new bag now...

@haraya: I have thought about the Luminary, but I would prefer more of a cross-body bag (like my current Kavu) than a backpack for an EDC. I do have the S25 for school (I'm in college) but don't find myself wanting a backpack for EDC. With the lens on, my camera is approximately W4.75" x H3.55" x D3.75". I do normally carry it when I'm out and using it, but when I get in the car or go in a store or something I like to put it in my bag. My mom has the small cafe bag, which I like but I really need the opening to have a zipper.

Edit: if anyone could tell me how to upload a photo to this thread, I'll show what I normally carry and what I might carry when I have my camera on me. I'm on a mac (don't know if that makes a difference), but I can't seem to get the insert image button to work. Doesn't appear to upload the files.
    You may need to resize the photos. There's a size limit for files uploaded to the forums. Whatever editing tool you use should be able to export smaller, lower resolution images, and IIRC the upper limit is around 1Mb. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the PCSB is right for you aside from the lack of structure (and the lack of another pocket), and if you or someone who loves you can sew, you could make an insert for the PCSB (similar to a Freudian Slip). @sharkh had the idea: https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ket-inset.html

Otherwise, possibly a Co-Pilot? I am not in a headspace where I can estimate sizes very well right now, but I think you could put your camera in the main compartment of the Co-Pilot, and it does zip closed. If you didn't want to carry the camera, I'd be suggesting a Side Effect or a Side Kick, because your load (aside from the camera) sounds more or less like what I carry in mine--right down to the mini Q-Kit!

Oh, and I just remembered another thread you might find useful: https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...barcelona.html Traveltech posted about using a PCSB and a Co-Pilot as camera bags, with an Ape Case Cubeze as an insert that can move back and forth between them.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Georgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New EDC-img_20180305_2-jpgNew EDC-img_20180305_3-jpg
    (Thanks, @kathryn for helping me figure out how to post these!) Here's what I normally carry, as well as what I might carry when taking my camera but not my whole camera bag. That includes the 2 lens adaptors (usually only take the wide angle adaptor (slightly bigger one in the pic) and both are quite small), an extra battery, and a lens cloth. Not shown is my phone (Moto x4), but I usually carry that in my back jeans pocket anyway. (Also, the white tube contains ibuprofen and there's a roll of paper tape I forgot to mention that I carry around.)

@aedifica thank you for sharing the post about the insert for the PCSB. I'm constantly wowed by the creativity of the forum members! I'll definitely have to look into that.. I should do a few more test runs with the PCSB... And thanks for the other link too - I remember reading that one, but I had completely forgotten about it. So many great options! It appears that you have the Side Effect and the Co-Pilot. Is there one you tend to use more often than the other? How would you compare them?

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle View Post
    @aedifica thank you for sharing the post about the insert for the PCSB. I'm constantly wowed by the creativity of the forum members! I'll definitely have to look into that.. I should do a few more test runs with the PCSB... And thanks for the other link too - I remember reading that one, but I had completely forgotten about it. So many great options! It appears that you have the Side Effect and the Co-Pilot. Is there one you tend to use more often than the other? How would you compare them?
    I do have the Side Effect and the Co-Pilot, and also the Side Kick. I wouldn't really compare the SE and CP at all since I think the CP has almost seven times the capacity of the SE if I remember right.

The Co-Pilot in Halcyon is my favorite bag for running errands: I can drop purse stuff in one of the front pockets, carry a small water bottle in the water bottle pocket, and have room for whatever I need on the errand. (I often stick some grocery bags in there in case I need a lot more room.)

I'm more likely to carry the Side Effect inside another bag (including the Co-Pilot!) than I am to carry it on its own, though I have also carried it alone. These days I'm more likely to use the Side Kick than the Side Effect; I put more or less the same stuff in it that I would in the Side Effect, it's just a lot less crowded. (There are people for whom the SE doesn't get crowded. I'm not one of them.) Then I drop the SE or SK into whatever bag I'm using for work or school.

On the topic of Co-Pilots and Side Effects, those are actually the two bags that I think I have too many of. The problem is I don't want to give up any of the colors! I did convince myself to give one of the CPs to my sister, though. :-)

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    On the topic of Co-Pilots and Side Effects, those are actually the two bags that I think I have too many of. The problem is I don't want to give up any of the colors! I did convince myself to give one of the CPs to my sister, though. :-)
    Brief digression from the topic of the thread: after I wrote the bit I quoted here, I started thinking about it more. If I look at it in terms of functionality, then yes, I have too many Side Effects and Co-Pilots. But if I look at it from the standpoint of having colors around that bring me joy, I don't have too many after all. :-) (I'm still giving one CP to my sister, though. Giving useful things to people I love also brings me joy.)

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side Kick was my first thought. It's pockets and structure would allow you to stash the things from the travel sack without using it. It MIGHT fit your camera, but would be really tight, so if you need to take the camera, I think the Co-pilot or the DLBC could do it for you. The DLBC comes in the thinner ballistic, and is smaller than the co-pilot in capacity, but similar in footprint. Good luck!

Georgia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @aedifica: Thank you for all of your comments! It really helps to learn how others use and combine the different bags! And can you really truly have too many TB bags?? I have the S25, A30, and PCSB (plus random accessories) and my mom has the small Cafe Bag and the Swift... We both can't stop drooling over the amazing designs and reading the forums. Both of us are eager to grow our small collections, but have to be conscientious about what we need at the time... One day though... Smilie

@luvdabags: thank you for your input! I don't normally take my camera with me, or if I do and want/need to stash it away in a bag it is only for a little while, but I never thought about how tight it might be. I forgot to compare those measurements - oops. So many options to consider... I really appreciate everyone's comments!

Alberta, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread is a little old, but I am very curious if you ended up making a decision about a new bag!

I have a ballistic SK, and a Sony A6000 mirrorless that I usually prefer with a Sony 50mm prime lens. The camera with lens attached fits nicely into my SK on its end, with the lens facing the end of the bag. Still leaves plenty of room for a eReader, wallet, phone, 16-55mm kit lens, kleenex, pen, metal straw, two sets of keys (on key straps, of course!) and my passport (if I'm travelling).