Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Pack in Halcyon or Cordura?

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my S25 and I love it so much!! I just want to buy more Tom Bihn bags. I'm thinking about getting the Daylight Pack (also in case I want to buy an Aeronaut 30, I can use the Daylight Pack as my EDC).

I remember reading on some of the forums to get the Daylight Pack in Halcyon, but now I can't seem to find any of those sources anymore.

For those who have the Daylight Pack - do you like the material you got? Should I get it in Halcyon or Cordura?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your new bag! It really can be a bit of an addiction

For material, what did you get the S25 in and how do you like it? I have a medium cafe bag made out of cordura, and while I love the color and how the fabric looks, it's really rough feeling. To me it definitely feels like more of an outdoorsy fabric. Halcyon has a different vibe to it and it is lighter and more flexible, so it may pack better for you in an A30 and also be able to mold to the shape of the contents a bit more. The halcyon coloring put me off at first, but once I got my S25 and actually saw it in person I was much happier. My S25 is the black/grey halcyon and it really does look and feel nice, I don't think the pictures do the fabric justice!

If you can't decide, you can always try both out, and return or sell the one you don't end up using. Or just have another bag option for when you want to switch things up!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember too that you can ask Customer Service for fabric swatches to see/feel
    Cheers

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have cordura but if I could do it over again I'd get halcyon. For the small weight savings, and it is smoother / doesn't scratch up clothes at all.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Halcyon is really nice if you want to pack it inside of other bags, because it is easy to fold.
    Also, I suspect it may be released in the new 525 ballistic fabric someday soon, but I don't know for sure. Personally, I would still go for the Halcyon though, because it is so light.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both, and I prefer the halcyon version for packability and lack of clothing abrasion. Plus, I just like the feel of the fabric better. (I hope @bchaplin is right, because I think that 525 ballistic would be ideal for the DLBP)
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve owned the DLBP in both cordura and halcyon.

I prefer the cordura due to its durability. It just feels high quality and the colours of the fabric look great.

The halcyon has the lightweight benefits (small though in my opinion) but ultimately Iíve found it less forgiving and easier to mark or scratch in real life use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this thread is a few months old, but I have been struggling with this decision myself. However, since I am planning on using this pack inside of my A30 for a EDC when traveling and the Black Halcyon became available... I went ahead and ordered it. It's only been 5 minutes since the order and I'm already getting the TB anticipation shakes. Now, I'm just trying to not order the 525d version out of pure curiosity.
    Does anyone have the new 525d version of the DL? Does it pack up as well as the Halcyon? Have you taken it on travel inside your bag?

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babblinbeanz View Post
    I know this thread is a few months old, but I have been struggling with this decision myself. However, since I am planning on using this pack inside of my A30 for a EDC when traveling and the Black Halcyon became available... I went ahead and ordered it. It's only been 5 minutes since the order and I'm already getting the TB anticipation shakes. Now, I'm just trying to not order the 525d version out of pure curiosity.
    Does anyone have the new 525d version of the DL? Does it pack up as well as the Halcyon? Have you taken it on travel inside your bag?
    I bought a 525 Ballistic and was surprised how firm the material was. I didnít keep it (despite being a Ballistic fan) as I really did want the flexibility and packability as the main features. Iím sure the Ballistic would loosen up and pack well but just not as well as halcyon/cordura.

However as per my earlier posts, Cordura is still a better choice than halcyon for me. I know these are no longer sold in this fabric but a good second hand one is a great option for flexibility and durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up for Halcyon packability

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I bought a 525 Ballistic and was surprised how firm the material was. I didnít keep it (despite being a Ballistic fan) as I really did want the flexibility and packability as the main features. ....

However as per my earlier posts, Cordura is still a better choice than halcyon for me ... for flexibility and durability.
    I just got a Medium Cafe in 525d Ballistic; I also have a Medium Cafe in Cordura and one Halcyon. And a Daylight Backpack in Cordura only.

So until I read this thread, I was really thinking about a 525d Daylight Backpack, instead of the Black Halcyon I used to want. (I don't mind that Halcyon is less durable than Cordura - my main concern is cat fur at home and lint under the airplane seat.)

After seeing and handling the 525d Ballistics in my new Medium Cafe, I have to agree with you that 525d isn't the best choice where the ability to flatten the bag for packing in other luggage is important.

So I guess if there is a Daylight Backpack "upgrade" in my holiday shopping list, it will be to Halcyon not 525d.