Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoulder bag for travel and teaching

I'm looking for a shoulder bag/briefcase that can do double duty for a professor. Doesn't need to be super formal, but I'd like it to look at least a little professional if possible. I'd like to:

1. Bring it to class. I normally carry a surface pro (in cache, 0.75") and a 3 ring binder (2"), along with pens/cords/connectors. Extra space for papers would be a plus.
    2. Use it as a personal item for conference travel on planes. I need to carry the surface pro along with a book, big headphones, assorted travel stuff. Would be carried alongside a backpack or rolling bag, so multiple carry options are a necessity.

Ideally, I'd be able to wear cross-body for an occasional short bike or motorcycle commute, but this isn't critical. I have a Synapse 25 that I love and use for that purpose, but it's not ideal for conferences or meetings.

My first thought is the pilot, but I'm not in love with the look of it. I dig the cadet, but I've been told it would be too tight on space. Would the Maker's bag work?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoulder bag for travel and teaching

Makerís Bag would absolutely work. I carry work papers every day. You can fit several inches thick. I often have a thermos, an umbrella and a stuff sack with cords with the paperwork.

Then it works as a personal item in planes. I have paired it with an S25. Clothes and supplies in backpack. Book, iPad, snacks, etc in the Makers Bag.

I love the MB. I have a black one and have carried it into meetings and a courtroom. Looks fine.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the empire builder. It is large it even has file folders to carry your papers. You can carry it over your wheel bag, carry crossbody or hold it by the handles if you choose. It looks professional in a business setting. I took it to Oman with me and carried my training notes for a 10-day class. No problem

Forum Member
    New Jersey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MB is my EDC for my job as a public school teacher. I generally carry my lunch, thermos, Klean Kanteen, various papers, folders, along with pens, pencils and other misc school supplies. A large Qkit holds some toys and fidgets while a small Qkit holds some band aids. Seems like this may work for you. I switched from a backpack and quite like it.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Pilot as a conference and airplane bag when I'm bringing my laptop. It does look boxy but it is very functional and holds a lot. Mine is in Dyneema (now Halcyon) and it always seems to be able to accommodate just a little bit more. I'm a fan of the back pocket, which holds a magazine or other flat items nicely.

For everyday carry when I have my laptop (MacBook Pro) with connectors and adaptors, I use the Daylight Briefcase (also in Halcyon) without a shoulder strap, and I separately carry a handbag for personal items.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Maker's Bag and use it as my everyday work bag. I can easily fit a laptop, thick book(s), and loose papers or folders, plus my EDC (Side Effect) and other odds and ends. I haven't used it for air travel yet, but probably will later this spring and think it'll make a great carry on. I will, however, make sure that my loose bits are corralled into organizer cubes or a travel tray to make sure nothing accidentally spills out. (This isn't an issue for me when the bag is buckled, but I rarely buckle it for daily use and experience the occasional spillage when it sits in my passenger seat.)
    kindness is contagious.