Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Where, oh Where to begin?

    New to everything that is Tom Bihn! I am a self-confessed bag lover. Sold luggage for years and have moved away from the fancy expensive French brand, to TravelPro, Eagle Creek, Briggs and Riley, Tumi, Kipling, and lastly Ebags. Now I have found the Nirvana that is TB and I hardly know where to start.

    I did buy a medium Cafe for my husband to carry his new camera, and I bought the small in the Violet for myself. Plus I bought the RFID passport cases as we travel internationally quite a bit.

    Heading off to Venice and Monaco in May on Virgin Atlantic, and India in July, Emirates overwater and Spice Jet/Air India internally. Weight restrictions of 7kg and my plus size women's clothes means an Aeronaut won't work as a carry on, so I will have to check a bag.

    I was thinking of bringing a 22" Rollerboard to check, and carrying on a Western Flyer with my CB as my purse.

    I use packing cubes a lot and one thing that really attracts me to TB is that his packing aids are build for each of his bags--no wasted space!

  2. #2
    Forum Member melminimalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    Alabama
    Posts
    643
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrottngal View Post
    New to everything that is Tom Bihn! I am a self-confessed bag lover. Sold luggage for years and have moved away from the fancy expensive French brand, to TravelPro, Eagle Creek, Briggs and Riley, Tumi, Kipling, and lastly Ebags. Now I have found the Nirvana that is TB and I hardly know where to start.

    I did buy a medium Cafe for my husband to carry his new camera, and I bought the small in the Violet for myself. Plus I bought the RFID passport cases as we travel internationally quite a bit.

    Heading off to Venice and Monaco in May on Virgin Atlantic, and India in July, Emirates overwater and Spice Jet/Air India internally. Weight restrictions of 7kg and my plus size women's clothes means an Aeronaut won't work as a carry on, so I will have to check a bag.

    I was thinking of bringing a 22" Rollerboard to check, and carrying on a Western Flyer with my CB as my purse.

    I use packing cubes a lot and one thing that really attracts me to TB is that his packing aids are build for each of his bags--no wasted space!
    Welcome! I would love to hear about what you typically take pack list wise as you are a seasoned traveler.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Welcome! I would love to hear about what you typically take pack list wise as you are a seasoned traveler.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    I take a little a possible since my clothes are already on the large size. I try to minimize shoes, but I usually take 4 pairs (due to plantar issues)-2 pairs walking shoes (shoes and walking sandals), a dressy flat pair of sandals, and a pair of thin flip flops for pool, beach, bathroom wear. I often bring a small, dressy purse for evening (a gold Coach bag that I can either fold flat or fill with scarves or socks). My day bag is sometimes a small backpack or a small Longchamp tote. I shop at minimus dot com for trial sizes of first aid stuff and bring a small flat pouch for First Aid. I also bring a small laundry kit with a stretchy clothesline, and Purex sheets along with a 2 gallon zip lock bag for a makeshift sink, if the one at the hotel doesn't close. I bring a power brick for my iPad as it is my entertainment center with Kindle, movies, music, notes.
    Every trip seems to need a different packing method--a cruise needs dressier clothes so I use my garment bag; a car trip in Europe needs a soft duffel. If I a checking a bag, I prefer it to have wheels. I am really searching for the perfect bag.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Share
    New Zealand
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that the Aeronaut 30 when fully packed (but not totally crammed in) weighs just on 7kg. I travel a lot on airlines where there is a 7kg carry-on limit, so this works out well for me.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Share
    Palo Alto
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denises View Post
    I have found that the Aeronaut 30 when fully packed (but not totally crammed in) weighs just on 7kg. I travel a lot on airlines where there is a 7kg carry-on limit, so this works out well for me.
    And this is the Halcyon/wasabi mentioned in your signature? You're so lucky. I really pare my stuff down, but cannot seem to get under that 7kg barrier!

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Share
    New Zealand
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the Halcyon/wasabi mentioned in my signature. I chose it over ballistic specifically because it weighed less. It can take a lot of thought to keep the weight down, but I've found that some careful planning helps. I take clothes that can layer to cope with different climates and that are fairly lightweight. If I'm going to a colder climate, merino and cashmere are great.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •