Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Palo Alto
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 45 not full, or Aeronaut 30 filled?

New to TB, I like the Aeronaut. I think the 45 is a better bag for me, but the 30 will be a better carry-on in Europe with its carry-on weight and smaller size restrictions. But for $10 more I can have the 45.
    My question- if I go for the 45 but not fill it completely (so I can use it in Europe) how bad would that be? I think this bag is best packed full, so will a 3/4 full bag just have all my stuff sloshing around?
    Also, just for reference, I am a 5''5' women built like a linebacker, so wondering if the 45 will fit my body better.

thanks!

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An under packed A45 is a joy to carry! I'm a 4'11" woman built like a block of clay.

I had an A30, but I always overpacked it. Once, I moved the contents to the A45 (without re-packing anything). The A45 was under packed and it felt lighter and just easier to portage around. I did not find my things moved around. I used packing cubes and the straps in the main compartment. This helped keep things in place well.

I found the backpack straps similar between the two, but it is easier to shoulder the A45, even with one strap.

This is just my personal experience. If it helps, I ended up getting rid of the A30 and keeping the A45 (even though originally, I thought the A45 was way too big and thought the A30 would be the perfect bag).

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the nice things about the Aeronaut (either size) is that if you don't want to use the whole capacity you can leave one or both side pockets empty and just pack in the center section. It looks fine this way too. (I suppose if you REALLY don't need the whole capacity you could just pack in the side pockets and leave the center section empty, but that probably would look a little silly.)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having had both bags and gotten rid of the A30, I prefer the A45 underpacked. It feels lighter. It's easier to pack because the pockets are bigger. And it will always squish into the bag sizer if it's underpacked.

UPDATE: I'm very good a minimalist packing. My problem with the A30 was that it always tipped me over backwards. The A45 surprisingly felt more balanced on my back and therefore lighter, even with the same items. I think it's because the packed items are closer to my back and spread over a larger area.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-08-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am always amazed and impressed with those who say they can under-pack their bags.

For me under packing is just a dream, as my relationship between my bags and their content is more a story of “if you build it, they will come!” Aeronaut 45 not full, or Aeronaut 30 filled?

I need my bag’s size to hold me accountable.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    New Jersey
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched from an A45 to an A30 and have been quite happy. I find I like being restricted by the size of the bag but have never found myself, traveling with one bag each between my wife, myself, and my 1 year old son, wanting or needing more space. I'd say either one seems like a good option although it is generally pretty easy to just pack that one more thing with the bigger bag. I'd say go with the A30.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try to underpack and say A45 with no hesitation.
    For one I have silly huge shoes,know what I mean?
    Second I would rather have the space and not need it than the other way around and I will always remember how bad it feels to carry too much weight too far because I had the space but not the need in retrospect!

A45 for sure.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but that is Funny!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    An under packed A45 is a joy to carry! I'm a 4'11" woman built like a block of clay.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I am always amazed and impressed with those who say they can under-pack their bags.

For me under packing is just a dream, as my relationship between my bags and their content is more a story of “if you build it, they will come!” Aeronaut 45 not full, or Aeronaut 30 filled?

I need my bag’s size to hold me accountable.
    Me too. I seem to always fill whatever bag I am packing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically I too fill whatever bag I'm packing, except that for short trips I am able (with just a little bit of extra willpower, not lots) to leave an Aeronaut side compartment empty and pretend it doesn't exist. That's one more thing I like about Aeronauts. :-)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Virginia, Paris, Berlin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the A30 and the A45. I prefer the A30 for the size, but I would always choose to under-pack the A45 rather than fully pack the A30. If you are only going to buy one bag (something which is far too hard to do for me to even attempt), then go with the A45, you will have more flexibility.

Forum Member
    Palo Alto
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled the trigger today and ordered the A45 in black Halcyon 400 with the ultra violet interior, and a Pilot as well. I also ordered the packing cubes for the A45.
    I decided to go for the A45 and hope to god under-pack it! I went for the lighter weight Halcyon and I think the A45 is going to be a better fit for my body.

I love the fact that one hour after I ordered it, I got an email saying it was shipped! And I think I must have gotten the last one in that color combo as it is now not offered!

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used an A30 over the past 1.5 years for all my trips, and it was sufficient although often uncomfortable even at 15lbs (a seemingly common-ish maximum carry-on weight for some european airlines.) Based on the advice here, I just got an A45 to see the difference for myself. I loaded both bags to 15lbs and noticed that an underpacked A45 does feel a bit better. But then I realized its straps were adjusted very differently from my A30, so I watched a few videos on how to get the straps right and tried again, putting more weight on my hips, and the A30 felt better. I went back and forth, making minute adjustments on each bag until I found that both were fairly comfortable.
    YET when I looked in a mirror, I noticed that I wasn't just changing the straps, but my posture had also been changing as I adjusted the packs, too.

So, my question for those who seem to prefer one size Aeronaut over the other (specifically, a full A30 or under-packed A45), how do you find that posture affects your comfort? E.g., most people have better posture at the beginning of the day, and descend into slouching as the day progresses...does comfort change over a few hours? Or does a certain pack adjustment perhaps lead you to better posture, which helps overall comfort?
    Last edited by ThomGault; 05-12-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not wearing my A45 in backpack mode for hours on end. It's just when I need to carry the bag through the airport. But yeah, I'm going to be slouching after a long day and I find that an underpacked A45 sits closer to my body and is just more comfortable than the fully packed A30 which kept trying to tip me over backwards. Plus, I just like the 2-D acreage of the A45 better. Less wrinkles in my clothing. And the end pockets and lid are easier to get into than the A30 versions of those end pockets.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny. I just packed 2 A45 bags for a one month trip to Europe. I thought I was underpacking, but the bags are pretty full. Not stuffed at all. I could definitely fit a lot more stuff in. But since the laundry packing cubes are exactly the right size for the bag, nothing is shifting around.

I did the trick of weighing myself, and then weighing myself with the bag, and mine is coming in at 16 lbs and the weight limit is 17.6 lbs. I may give hubby's A45 some of my stuff to even out the weight. I'm so glad I sized up to the A45. It was so much easier to pack than the A30, and carries better on my back. The end pockets have an extra pair of shoes with plenty of room to spare.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 05-14-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast