Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who owns a Tristar and loves it and also someone who has debated about the 30 I can tell you the Tristar is wonderful.
    I am always surprised what I can get into it.
    Here is my tentative packing list for an April Mexico trip for 10 days that will go in my Tristar. I do also carry a messenger type camera bag for electronics, camera etc.

3 pairs of underwear
    2 pairs of socks (buy Merino wool you can wash them in the sink when you need and you can wear them longer without smell)
    3 cotton t-shirts
    4 tank tops
    2 polo or casual dress shirts
    1 pair of lightweight tech type chinos which pack nicely and are perfect for dressier events
    4-5 pairs of shorts
    6 swim shorts (yes I know this is where I go over the top but its a beach vacation)
    2 paid of flip flops (casual and a dressier pair)
    Toiletries

I have wondered if I ever need to pack another pair of shoes that might be challenging.
    I wear my chuck taylors and I find them work good with the dressier chinos. The only time they would not be good enough is if there was a very formal event.

I went to Mexico for a month and packed very similar to this with the addition of a lightweight sweater and a packable waterproof jacket as I was traveling in the mountains for part of it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as for packing make sure you buy all of the cubes that go with the Tristar. They are a great addition.
    I use an eagle creek folder for my button up type casual shirts just to keep them separate and that slips in the center compartment. I also use the center compartment for things like my 3-1-1 bag (buy the TB ones they rock), I have a document folder I keep in the center portion too.

I find rolling my clothes is the best. I have tried different methods and just came across a new method that is really cool.
    I also roll my pants as well.

The large Cube I put pants, t shirts, shorts, tank tops
    The medium cube put underwear, socks swimwear
    The small cube I put both pairs of sandles/flip flops. if you don't use it as a backpack a pair of flip flops fit in this section very nicely

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdophoto View Post
    as for packing make sure you buy all of the cubes that go with the Tristar. They are a great addition.
    I use an eagle creek folder for my button up type casual shirts just to keep them separate and that slips in the center compartment. I also use the center compartment for things like my 3-1-1 bag (buy the TB ones they rock), I have a document folder I keep in the center portion too.

I find rolling my clothes is the best. I have tried different methods and just came across a new method that is really cool.
    I also roll my pants as well.

The large Cube I put pants, t shirts, shorts, tank tops
    The medium cube put underwear, socks swimwear
    The small cube I put both pairs of sandles/flip flops. if you don't use it as a backpack a pair of flip flops fit in this section very nicely
    Thanks for the info. Any details on the new rolling method you're using?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Joe,Welcome to the Forum!

I think you can do this any way that you want to but f you do want to pack as you listed first then yes you will need the A45 & S25 and you should be golden!
    Sure you can monkey around with various methods and smaller bags to get smaller and lighter but if you just want what you want do what I do and bring it all along.

I have a TriStar and LOVE it,an A45 and S25 and have had the S19 as well and I have traveled for a long time with all of them in many combinations and strategies and the bottom line for me is that I prefer to bring too much and not have to do laundry if I can help it.

I bring 9 or 10 Polo Shirts in 2 Eagle Creek Folders,10 pairs of Socks and 10 Undies in Eagle Creek Cubes,an extra pair of thick Jeans,2 extra pairs of size 13 mens shoes and various other stuff just in the A45 with no issues at all.
    I have never even seen the Bihn packing cubes and do not need them as I already have the E.C versions.

Then in the S25 I bring my Toilet stuff,not a lot of need for me really.
    I bring another change of Socks,Undies and Polo Shirt and a jacket if needed and all electronics,food,reading materials and other sundry stuff I need to travel that I would need if separated somehow from the A45.

It is not Rocket Surgery,I have never been looked at or questioned about either bag on any domestic flight anywhere.
    I only stick the bags overhead as I need somewhere for my giant clown feet to go during the flight.
    If I think I will need something at the seat then I will pack a Pilot or Co-Pilot with that stuff and slide it in and out of the S25 as needed but this just varies trip to trip for me.

The TriStar is amazing but will just not pack this much stuff period.
    I can get about 1/2 of that into the T.S. without it pillowing out of control making it tough to carry and use and the first of these bags for me was the T.S. and I have tried many.many trips to make it work with too much stuff for the time I would be gone.

The A45 is INSANE and somehow can pack so much bigger than it seems that it is hard to accept to me,really.

So only you can decide whether you want to jump through hoops to pack and have to do work on the trip for it or just carry the stuff you need to carry and have a good time,for me it boils down to this and believe me I have tried and keep trying to lighten my load and 1-Bag many times and I am usually just miserable!
    I know this is not the P.C. answer these days but this is what I have learned about myself so I wanted to share it.

Of course it will be heavier too the more you drag around and only you can decide if this is practical for you or not?
    I usually carry the A45 as a Back Pack and sling the S25 over a shoulder through the lines and it is fine for me but YMMV as they say.

I also have learned and suspect that you will end up buying all of the bags anyway if you stick around here and then you can see for yourself what works and doesn't work,this just seems to happen if you stick around here a while.
    You have been warned!

Happy Packing

Ed

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for writing such a detailed response. I think buying them all is the best advice yet! Smilie

Do you have the large eagle creek cubes?

I have a couple of the ec folders and really like those for polos.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure really?
    I think I have Large,Medium and Small and in the original material not the newer lightweight stuff.

I can get 10 pr socks or 10 undies in the large easily.
    I can get an 2 entire shirt,socks,undies sets folded in a Medium and 5 folded Polos in the Folders that I have.
    So for the 10/10/10 set you talked about at first it would be 2 folders and 2 large cubes for the main stuff in the main compartment and a pair of jeans on top.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Thanks for writing such a detailed response. I think buying them all is the best advice yet! Smilie

Do you have the large eagle creek cubes?

I have a couple of the ec folders and really like those for polos.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely pare back the packing list. I'm not a small person by any stretch, 6'3" size 13 shoes, and did a week in Mexico with an A30 and a DLBP in the A30 strap pocket that I used as an EDC and a personal item on the return trip with gifts and purchased swag. For business travel with a computer I either two bag it with the A30 and a laptop bag or a one bag with a Thule Subterra 40L. While not perfect the Subterra laptop bag works ok as an EDC heading from the hotel to the office.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Not sure really?
    I think I have Large,Medium and Small and in the original material not the newer lightweight stuff.

I can get 10 pr socks or 10 undies in the large easily.
    I can get an 2 entire shirt,socks,undies sets folded in a Medium and 5 folded Polos in the Folders that I have.
    So for the 10/10/10 set you talked about at first it would be 2 folders and 2 large cubes for the main stuff in the main compartment and a pair of jeans on top.
    Received my a30 today and did a test pack. My first thought is I definitely need more practice packing. Lol I'm awful at it.

I tried to do a bundle pack but it turned out larger than the bags dimensions. Then I tried to roll method and easily fit 7 t-shirts, 2 pairs of jeans, 2 shorts, 5 underwear, socks and a pair of shoes with room to spare.

I'm for sure going to buy an a45, Tristar and s19.

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Aeronaut 30 (I also have the A45).

I don't have a Tristar, but I have the similar Western Flyer.
    It seems to me, the shoes really tip the choice in favor of the Aeronaut, because of the end pocket.
    I have crammed shoes into the Western Flyer when I needed a bag that would double as a briefcase, but I didn't like it. Unless you need a bag which can pass for a very big briefcase in professional situations, or unless you need a bag to carry a computer frequently, I would suggest you go with the Aeronaut. (I do carry a computer in my A30 and my A45, but it is a pain to get in and out frequently, unless I slip it in the large read pocket for the shoulder straps)

The A30 will definitely hold what you list (though as others have said, you might be able to pare things down), but you might consider the A45. It is bigger, and I try to take the A30 when I can just because it feels more svelte, but the A45 responds very well to under-packing. I have never had any trouble getting on a US airline with an A45 as my carry-on bag, no matter how small the plane.

I do like to use packing cubes with the Aeronaut.

Forum Member
    Austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fully stuffed synapse 25 will fit under the seat of every airplane I've been on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2