Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help deciding. Aeronaut vs Tristar

Hi all, I'm having a hard time deciding on the right bag for me. I have some trips ranging from 3-10 days coming up and looking to get a new bag for travel. I'm planning to get a "carry on" bag as well as a synapse 25 as my personal item.

Typically for a 10 day summer trip id pack:
    10 pairs of underwear
    10 pairs of socks
    8-10 cotton t-shirts
    2 polo or casual dress shirts
    1 pair of jeans or dress pants depending where I'm going.
    4-5 pairs of shorts
    2 swim shorts
    1 additional pair of shoes.
    Toiletries

Will all of that fit in both the aeronaut 30 and the Tristar or am I looking at needing a aeronaut 45? Am I packing too much? Lol

Lastly is it hard to get used to a shoulder/backpack coming from a roller/spinner carryon?

I don't generally travel with suits, however if I do I have a Briggs and Riley garment bag for that.

Really looking for any advice as I'd like to get something asap.

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, @AZJoe,

One quick question: What size shoes are you planning to take along? The Aeronaut side pockets are generally easier to use for carrying shoes, especially larger sizes. Also, what is your preferred packing style? The Tri-Star takes a more compartmentalized approach to organization that requires "flat-packing" organization, but also offers the convenience of a central compartment that can easily be accessed in transit, but many people prefer the large single main compartment approach of the Aeronauts. Do you have/use packing cubes?

Are you trying to minimalist the number of bags you carry? If so, would you also entertain suggestions about the fabrics of clothing items?

Hope this gets discussions started and that other forum members will jump in with suggestions.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind the Synpase 25 is too large for the personal item with most airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Immediate reaction is you’re packing too much. Half the number of tees and shorts. (I’d also halve the underwear and do laundry along the way, but that up to you.)

As @rae said, make sure the S25 works for your particular airline as a personal item.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two recent threads that may be helpful:
    A30 vs A45 (though I myself prefer the A30, and I really think it depends on your body size)
    and
    trip report with A45 and Side Kick

I'd also weigh in to say that you might consider the Side Kick, the Synapse 19, the Co-Pilot or one of the Cafe Bags as your personal item. However, it really depends what airline you are flying. For many, particularly in the US, the Synapse 25 might be fine.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Welcome to the forums, @AZJoe,

One quick question: What size shoes are you planning to take along? The Aeronaut side pockets are generally easier to use for carrying shoes, especially larger sizes. Also, what is your preferred packing style? The Tri-Star takes a more compartmentalized approach to organization that requires "flat-packing" organization, but also offers the convenience of a central compartment that can easily be accessed in transit, but many people prefer the large single main compartment approach of the Aeronauts. Do you have/use packing cubes?

Are you trying to minimalist the number of bags you carry? If so, would you also entertain suggestions about the fabrics of clothing items?

Hope this gets discussions started and that other forum members will jump in with suggestions.

moriond
    I'm open to any and all suggestions. Please feel free to recommend away!

I'm coming from an eagle creek tarmac roller. I do use their packing cubes in that and plan to buy an assortment from TB.

I wear a men's size 10.5

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Keep in mind the Synpase 25 is too large for the personal item with most airlines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll downsize to the 19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Immediate reaction is you’re packing too much. Half the number of tees and shorts. (I’d also halve the underwear and do laundry along the way, but that up to you.)

As @rae said, make sure the S25 works for your particular airline as a personal item.
    Lol. I kinda figured. I think on my next trip I'll try and pack half and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Two recent threads that may be helpful:
    A30 vs A45 (though I myself prefer the A30, and I really think it depends on your body size)
    and
    trip report with A45 and Side Kick

I'd also weigh in to say that you might consider the Side Kick, the Synapse 19, the Co-Pilot or one of the Cafe Bags as your personal item. However, it really depends what airline you are flying. For many, particularly in the US, the Synapse 25 might be fine.
    I've read a ton of comparison threads and am left more confused. Ha

I like the sidekick size but it's too purse like for me, I'm thinking.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you're packing too much, lol!

But seriously, as folks have mentioned, it will probably come down to how you like to pack - what style you prefer... you should be able to fit all that into an A45 (3D style packing) or a TriStar (flat packing) and probably an A30 (3D style packing).

Some ideas for you to consider:
    -assume you'll wear all your shorts/jeans/pants at least twice (ie, 10 day trip = 5 pairs of pants total)
    -do some sink laundry or 'real' laundry half way through the trip
    -bring minimal travel sized toiletries
    -wear your bulkiest shoes, pack the second pair
    -get/use some swim trunks that double as shorts... a pair could be drying on the shower rod whilst you're wearing a second pair...
    -wear your jeans (heavy/bulky) and pack one pair of nicer long pants
    -merino wool and (some) synthetics are your friends...they can wear multiple times (especially merino) and they pack WAY smaller than cotton... cotton is a classic fabric, but it's hard to travel with (heavy, bulky, wrinkles, no wet warmth, takes forever to dry)

I'm not suggesting you run out and buy a whole new wardrobe, but consider 'shopping' in your closet and see what you already own that is light weight and travels well. Golf/Tennis type polo shirts pack well (light weight, sink washable, not bulky) and since they have collars are acceptable casual wear most places... and some of your t-shirts could be synthetic work out/hiking shirts instead of cotton - it will cut your weight/bulk in half.

Best of luck and post pics once you choose and have it packed up!

EDIT: last October I went to Ecuador for two weeks - mountains and Galapagos - with an A30 and an S19 and I still think I overpacked

https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...hlight=ecuador
    Last edited by G42; 03-07-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Migrating from a roller it’s easy to underestimate the weight of your pack. Fully loaded, your bag will be heavy, and (IMO) you will want to carry it in backpack mode. For this reason I suggest you make your carryon a shoulder bag to free your back to carry the heavier bag with the backpack straps.

Aeronaut vs Tristar? The Tristar works best when in mixed use (business papers and computers plus clothing) whereas the A30/A45 work best as travel bags - since they function more like traditional bags, they are much more forgiving.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    New Jersey
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used the Tristar but love my A30 for traveling. I wear the same size shoe and the end pockets are perfect for packing an extra pair. I'd say you are definitely looking to pack too much although I tend to like to pack pretty light. I'd rather find a way to wash some clothes as needed, pack less, have about 3-4 days worth of clothing, and get by with a single bag. I'd definitely go with your heaviest bag as a backpack either way though as any of these bags fully packed would be fairly heavy. I currently bring a diaper bag, with a 1 year old, as a personal item, and try to avoid one altogether if I can. If I feel like I can't avoid a personal item I'd make it a shoulder bag such as a Sidekick or Cafe bag or something similar, basically, for essentials and things I want easy access to on the plane.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above example is about the "worst case scenario" packing list. I have a lot of 3-4 day trips coming up where I'll pack a lot lighter.

That said, I think I need to learn how to pack better. Lol I will research the "bundle" method.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order a a30 and start there. I have no problem ordering one of each for different scenarios if I need to.

I think I'll also order a s19 or s25. Not only for a personal item bag but I could always use a good backpack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AZJoe — Do not believe these people. They ARE suggesting that you buy a whole new wardrobe. It has happened to me.

Check our G42’s suggestions for a few merino wool T-shirt’s or fast-drying shorts. From advice on this forum, I have ended up wjth some pricey pieces of clothing like merino shirts, gloves and socks, Wool & Prince shirts, and Outlier pants and shorts. But the investment has paid off. I enjoy the clothes and pack smaller and simpler on every trip.

I got caught in last Friday’s storm in NYC — surprised by snow and cancelled trains. My packing made all the difference. I was dressed warm and had all my paperwork and clothes in a Western Flyer. That went on my back, and we took a subway in search of a rental car.

If you’re amused, the advice on this forum about TB luggage pairs great with the advice about packing and clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, sometimes it's best to see the bags in person. Order one of each. Test pack them each bag with all your items. Walk around the house in shoulder, hand carry and back pack mode. Then send back the bags you don't like.

I started with ordering what I thought I wanted, and ended up trading or selling bags and ordering different ones. I would have avoided all that if I had just ordered one of each to start with and test packed them.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    AZJoe — Do not believe these people. They ARE suggesting that you buy a whole new wardrobe. It has happened to me.
    Sssshhhhhhhh!!! You're not supposed to let on to our nefarious plan!

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just reiterate that cutting down the number of clothing you take is a good idea. if not half, at least to a 6- or 7-day plan. One set of clothing is travel day clothing, coming and going.

Anyway, I was thinking if you're used to packing a Tarmac, the Aeronaut would probably be the best place to start. You probably wouldn't even need to get new packing cubes at first. The main difference in packing styles between the Aeronaut and Tri-Star is Aeronauts are trunks and Tri-Stars are sleeves. So horizontal packing opposed to vertical packing, if that makes sense. I also believe you can fit all into an A45 and a Tri-Star. I agree, you can also probably use the A30.

As BWeaves said, get two, pack both, and return the one that doesn't match your style.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again. I'll definitely heed all of this advice and will buy both. It looks like most Tristar colorways are oos right now unfortunately however.

Now I need to watch some YouTube videos on various packing styles. if anyone has any suggestions in that regard I'm all ears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast