Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backpack straps on TS and A30/45

I have taken my new Tristar on a couple of trips now, the latest with a Cadet shoved in the middle, replaced on the way home with stuff I acquired on the trip.

When I'm waiting to board the plane, I have put away the backpack straps to avoid them getting snagged, etc. during boarding and stowing. When I'm getting off the plane, it's sometimes a scramble to pull the straps back out and get them snapped into place without getting in the way of my fellow passengers.

So two questions: 1) Am I crazy for putting my straps away every time I get on a plane? 2) Am I likely to break or wear out any of the straps or clips?

Thanks!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t think the straps would get damaged leaving them out but I know what you mean about the risk of snagging.

When carrying the Tristar on a plane, I tend to carry it by one of the end handles so that it’s narrow profile is easier to manuover between seats.

I can then get the backpack straps out later when there’s a bit more space.
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my first two flights using my A30, I did what OP did, i.e. putting away the straps before actually entering the plan to avoid snags. However, after delays in boarding which required me to hold the bag/use the shoulder strap (which I find incredibly uncomfortable due to sloped shoulders), on my later trips I have used it as a backpack all the way to my seat, and stowed it in the overhead bins with straps in backpack mode. As long as care is taken to not let the buckles dangle near the compartment's edge, I see no real danger to the hardware.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to tuck away the backpack straps before boarding, and then just carry the bag off the plane by the strap or handle. I reconfigure everything in the relatively ample space of the gate area.

But I can't think of a really compelling reason that I do things this way. Probably, leaving the backpack straps out is fine.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Vancouver, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done both ways but prefer to tuck the backpack straps away. I don't think damage to them is an issue at all, much like sticking a backpack in the overhead or under seat. I tuck the straps away simply because it's easier to maneuver down the aisle and to put overhead/under seat.