1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cache for Surface Book 2

I use a Western Flyer as an EDC with a Surface 3 in a Cache. I will be upgrading to a Surface Book 2, either the 13.5" or 15" version, I'm not sure which yet. I still have a size 1 Brain Cell I may use for EDC if I go with the 15", but I would need a Cache for travel with either the 13.5 or 15 inch versions. Anyone have experience with this setup in the WF and which Cache will fit either machine?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Surface Book 2 15" and it's a fantastic device. Unlike some of the Apple stuff I have, the Surface adapts to get stuff done versus forcing me to adapt. I don't have direct experience with the cache and a Western Flyer, but I use a 4Z vertical cache (the discontinued style with a flap) in a Synapse 25, which somewhat works despite it being too long.

Getting back to your question. Based on my experience and looking at the cache sizes now available, you are going to have a hard time. Problem one is a large percentage of the cache sizes revolve around Apple products and there is no perfect fit for a Surface Book 2, although there are some that are fairly close. Problem two is that the Surface Book has more height to its screen than the wide screen ratios used by most non-Apple products. This means the few non-Apple cache sizes Tom Bihn offers aren't going to work well. Problem three is the new styles have zippers rather than a closure flap. In my view, this lowers the flexibility in choosing a size, especially if it's slightly small in one dimension. Unless there are more sizes coming out for the cache, it's a tough situation. You may have better luck buying a sleeve on Amazon.
    Last edited by NClens; 03-24-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for the time being I am using my size 1 Brain Cell from my old workstation, which works fine as an EDC. If I shove it, I can fit it into the cache I have for my previous surface, with the flap open. I might use this during travel, and it will definitely suffice until the Cache sizes are updated for new machines.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you cannot find a TB cache that will work for your Surface Pro, you might consider WaterField Designs. They have a sleeve sized for a Surface Pro 2 (both 13 & 15” sizes).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooo I ended up just picking up a sleeve at the Microsoft store that worked for the size. Looks good, though doesn't quite match the Steel of the WF. Not as clean as a Cache, but it has a front pocket for odds and ends when I need to detach it from the WF. I ended up cutting the rails off my old Cache and trying my hand at sewing them on to the new sleeve. Been using it for daily carry for about a week, and I'll have an overnight with clothes to pack with it coming next week. So far so good!

Cache for Surface Book 2-img_9699-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sleeve looks great!
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy