1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freudian Slip sizing page - inconsistent or just me?

I'm looking to buy a FS that will travel between a couple of bags - a ultralight rolltop hiking backpack, a different manufacturer's tote, and a TB Pilot. looking at the FS page, and especially the sizing table, I am getting really confused about the dimensions. Typically (across manufacturers) dimensions are written width x height x depth.

However, looking at those, it seems they switch it up willy nilly. For example the S25 size FS is written 17.7" x 13" x 1" - its clearly the height first. But the Makers size FS is written 13.4 x 10.2 x 1" - looking at the picture of the maker, thats gotta be (unless its an optical illusion) the width first. Can anyone help me out here? My biggest need is that it fit in my rolltop hiking backpack, which I often use a long trip onebag, and that backpack is tall but narrow (max internal width 12"). Any suggestions on sizes, and/or materials and usefulness between similar sizes, would be great.

Thank you advance for dealing with my frustration :-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You aren't seeing things, the FS dimensions aren't written in the same order as each other. When I was comparing them, I found it helpful to write down the dimensions of the styles I was comparing in the order that made sense to me.

Materials are the same across styles. It's hard to say that one style is more useful than another because it depends on your particular pocket needs, how/if your pack tapers, and how close to the top you want your FS to be.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twosandalz View Post
    You aren't seeing things, the FS dimensions aren't written in the same order as each other. When I was comparing them, I found it helpful to write down the dimensions of the styles I was comparing in the order that made sense to me.
    The thing is, if they wrote 17.7h" x 13w" x 1d" and then 13.4w" x 10.2h x 1d" that would be fine. there's NO indicator of what each dimension is and, with the things that are square or approaching square or just generally ambiguous, its really tough. I have to meticulously study photos - and/or understand the bag orientation they're made for - to confirm my suspicions of what is what. Just generally offputting.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bintobeen View Post
    The thing is, if they wrote 17.7h" x 13w" x 1d" and then 13.4w" x 10.2h x 1d" that would be fine. there's NO indicator of what each dimension is and, with the things that are square or approaching square or just generally ambiguous, its really tough. I have to meticulously study photos - and/or understand the bag orientation they're made for - to confirm my suspicions of what is what. Just generally offputting.
    When in doubt, call Customer Service if you have a question and need to be sure.

Also, they monitor the Forums and improve the functionality of the website as things are brought to their attention and time permits
    @Darcy - this may be one of those things that could use some TLC

Cheers

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    When in doubt, call Customer Service if you have a question and need to be sure.

Also, they monitor the Forums and improve the functionality of the website as things are brought to their attention and time permits
    @Darcy - this may be one of those things that could use some TLC

Cheers
    Seconding @Darcy - also, I dont always have time to call Customer Service.. Especially when doing this kind of meticulous comparison shopping :-) A table would be so much helpful, with clearly indicated HEIGHT WIDTH DEPTH across the different bags. I can't possibly be the only one who thinks this. Funny thing, the bag comparison page is also bereft of the freudian slip, so can't compare there...

Meanwhile would still love a recommendation for one FS that would be best for a TB pilot, a 14" x 14" x 8" tote (a shorter shopping bag style) and a travel backpack which is 11" width x 25" height. Thank you all.
    Last edited by bintobeen; 03-13-2018 at 07:59 AM. Reason: mistyped the mistype

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the only one that would fit all the bags you mentioned is the Small Cafe Bag FS or possibly the Medium Cafe Bag FS, unless you want to lay an FS on its side in one of the bags and use it upright in the others. (I think the MCB FS would *just* fit in the Pilot, but I can't test it for you since I don't have an MCB FS right now.)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos are Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi.

I have fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. Just talked on live chat to CS as well. Apparently they're working on a solution for this!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One solution would be to list all bags each FS fits. I have both a Swift and LLBeans pack. A makers bag FS would work in both, but so would a smaller one. Living a sustainable way means not buying too much in the first place. I carefully consider non degradable purchases.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be great, though of course with the 100 billion bags out there, there's no way they can do this and keep it updated all the time. But something like a table (like the bag comparison page) with specific column breakdowns should be pretty simple to put together and would provide an instant reference to potential buyers. With a few easy JS libraries, you can make it sortable, so I can sort by height for example if I have a bag in mind.

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey y'all, so we talked about this and here's what we're going to do: we can see how the Freudian Slip, Packing Cube, and Dimensions / Specs pages can make it a little confusing with our current setup (which is largest dim to shortest dim in our case as well as a lot of other manufacturers -- you could think of these current measurements as length, breadth, and thickness).

What we're going to do is this: we're going to start putting all measurements across the site in a uniform w x h x d measurement so there's an orientation implied and label each dimension as such. We'll start with pages that have multiple items of different sizes and work out from there. This project will likely take a 2-3 weeks to complete site-wide.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great news Matthew. Thanks for doing this! I guess I get the largest dim to shortest dim if you sold one piece, but as a bunch of different things, all oriented differently and with pockets point differently, it becomes hella confusing to the passerby. Awesome to know my frustrations/suggestions are now leading to real change

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just another example of TB's above and beyond style of customer service. Amazing as always!