Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?

I've been craving for a slightly bigger version of the sidekick that would better utilize the space in the end pocket of and Aeronaut 45 (A45). The packing cube shoulder bag doesn't have enough structure, and I've looked at about 80 bags from other companies, but nothing hits the right combination of organization, build quality, and materials (leather is a no go for me). Then I started to wonder if a daylight briefcase (DLBC) that isn't overstuffed might fit in the end pocket of an aeronaut 45. The width seems about right, but it is just over an inch too tall (14.2" x 10.2" x 3.9"). For a DLBC in halcyon, would it be possible to squash it down an inch in the vertical direction? Would someone be able to test this for me? I typically travel with an iPad Pro 9.7, cables, battery charger, sunglasses, snacks, and passport. This barely fits in the SideKick. A bit more room would be welcome.

I realized that while I don't have a DLBC, I do have an Eagle Creek (EC) medium packing cube that measures~14"x10"x4". I tried this in the end pocket of my A45, and it seems to work pretty well. As long as you don't overstuff them, I imagine you could fit 5 of them stacked this way in the bag book style (3 in the main compartment, 1 in each of the end pockets). Since this packing cube fits, would the DLBC squeeze in there as well (as long as nothing taller than ~9" is placed in it)? Thanks!!!!

Here are some photos of the EC packing cube in the A45.

The EC packing cube on top of the A45:
    Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?-img_0037-jpg

The EC packing cube in the end pocket:
    Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?-img_0036-jpg

The EC packing cube in the end pocket zipped shut:
    Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?-img_0035-jpg

The EC packing cube in the main compartment on end:
    Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?-img_0038-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got curious and grabbed my other 3 Eagle Creek packing cubes (3 classic, 1 scepter). As long as I don't overstuff them, they fit pretty well end on. I know people have posted the same type of thing with the end pocket packing cubes designed for the A45. I only had 4, not 5 cubes to test, so I used a small A45 cube in the second end pocket. A 5th Eagle Creek medium cube would have easily fit in here instead, though. Here is how it looks.

Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?-img_0041-jpg

Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?-img_0042-jpg

Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?-img_0040-jpg

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancingphysicist View Post
    ...Then I started to wonder if a daylight briefcase (DLBC) that isn't overstuffed might fit in the end pocket of an aeronaut 45. The width seems about right, but it is just over an inch too tall (14.2" x 10.2" x 3.9"). For a DLBC in halcyon, would it be possible to squash it down an inch in the vertical direction? Would someone be able to test this for me? I typically travel with an iPad Pro 9.7, cables, battery charger, sunglasses, snacks, and passport. This barely fits in the SideKick. A bit more room would be welcome.
    That's an interesting idea! I can test it for you in a few days, but I hope someone will beat me to it. If no one has by Friday, though, feel free to send me a PM to remind me and I'll post the results to this thread.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 45 with Daylight Briefcase in end pocket?

Youíre right on point. The DLBC is too tall to fit if it were full. But you can crunch it down an inch or two and fit it. I donít have an iPad Pro. But my old iPad would fit with snacks and stuff.

It isnít a perfect fit. Youíd probably have room around the DLBC. But the bag would definitely hold stuff and then be really useful once you reach your destination. If youíre intrigued, I would suggest risking the shipping charges to try it out.

Photos below. Hope theyíre useful. Two showing how it sticks up. One showing the briefcase pressed down into the end pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Fulton! This is exactly what I was looking for. Is this with the DLBC full or empty? It seems to match quite closely with my EC packing cube. I might give this a try.

Also, thanks for volunteering to send photos, aedifica. Everyone on this forum is so helpful. I'm still holding out hope for a larger Side Kick that can fit in the end pocket of either Aeronaut size. I'm hoping that the DLBC will be a good stand in until then.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancingphysicist View Post
    Thanks, Fulton! This is exactly what I was looking for. Is this with the DLBC full or empty? It seems to match quite closely with my EC packing cube. I might give this a try.
    Thatís empty, but puffed up to full height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk