Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Zipper coil thread problem- getting worried

Okay guys,

Been using my Co-Pilot a lot lately. It's great. Recently, however, I discovered this abomination:

Zipper coil thread problem- getting worried-uhoh-jpg

I'm far from an expert on coil zippers, but this seems like I am losing what keeps those coils from coming undone like a slinky. If nothing else, just seeing that frayed separated thread is driving me nuts. I take very, very good care of my things, and have no idea when or how this started. The threads seem pretty tough. I am bewildered.

I don't know what to do about it... ( cannot un-see, and staring over at Synapse 25 zipper coil threads with uneasy anxiety... )

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact Tom Bihn customer service. They are wonderful and it may need a repair. Doesn't seem like the zipper should be doing that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband is having the same problem with the zipper on his pilot. This is the second pilot he’s had with this problem. His first pilot was replaced by TB because of the fraying.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely contact Customer Service. It looks like the zipper mounting itself, not how TB attached it to the bag, but they'll know what to do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely emailus@tombihn.com photos are helpful, but wed like to send you a prepaid shipping label so we can examine your bag in-person.

This isnt something thats common and, when we do see it, its sometimes because there are large items being carried in the bag that push against the zipper like a laptop that has square corners pushing against the rounded corner of the bag. That may not be the case here but I thought Id mention it because we often get questions about fitting laptops like the 15 MacBook Pro in the Synapse 19 and this is a good example why thats not a good idea. Seeing the bag in-person can help us determine the cause, and, of course, find a solution. Smilie

Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for their advice! MikeV- I definitely will send an email. I have not carried anything in the bag large enough to put pressure on that area. ( Only ever carry a tablet in the outer pocket, and a small one at that. Interior items are generally soft and not large enough to rub against the inner-top ) I had just chalked it to the zipper as a sourced part, as the bag itself has been rock-solid. I appreciate the eager offer to inspect it. That's why I buy things from here. I perform warranty repairs for a living, and some of the companies I have had to work with seem to make it as hard as possible to actually start a process. Here, I just ask a question and boom- here we go!

Ohio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Grin UPDATE

This problem was resolved! After following Mike V's suggestion to contact them about this, they quickly took care the problem. Not once did I ever even have to ask. So, consider this a huge THANK YOU! The best part about the whole thing is I never felt like I was dealing with a "company", but rather some people helping a friend out.

Best warranty service I've ever seen. Period.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update! Here's the full scoop on this: https://blog.tombihn.com/updates-sna...oint-placement
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Update! Here's the full scoop on this: https://blog.tombihn.com/updates-sna...oint-placement
    Interesting! Thanks for the update. I am looking at my Side Kicks and I am looking at the pics on the Side Kick page. I can't tell the difference with the shoulder strap attachment point. Is the attachment higher? Lower? Sticks farther out? Doesn't stick out as much? I think I'm in the majority who will never have this problem but now I'm curious about the change.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't tell from the photos what the change is either. Can someone from TB give us side photos?

The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Interesting! Thanks for the update. I am looking at my Side Kicks and I am looking at the pics on the Side Kick page. I can't tell the difference with the shoulder strap attachment point. Is the attachment higher? Lower? Sticks farther out? Doesn't stick out as much? I think I'm in the majority who will never have this problem but now I'm curious about the change.
    Ah, good questions. Basically, we removed the triangle snaphook attachment points on the Side Kick and replaced them with webbing loops. The shoulder strap now included with the Side Effect is an updated version of the Field Journal Shoulder strap: it's an adjustable/removable 1" nylon webbing shoulder strap with Gatekeepers on the end that loop through the webbing loops on the Side Effect. And its webbing is just a different size of the new very durable -- and very soft/comfortable -- webbing we now use for the Cafe Bag shoulder straps.

We tested the new version of the Side Kick and we all like it a lot. The webbing loops are more low-profile than the triangle snaphook attachment point, which can be nice for those who don't carry the Side Kick via a shoulder strap. The one downside is that the webbing loop style shoulder strap doesn't swivel -- we didn't find that to be something that impacted our experience carrying this particular bag all that much.

I took a look at the photos and we can definitely add a detail shot or two that more clearly shows the new attachment style for the Side Kick. In the meantime, here's a couple of quick photos I just took here at the factory.

Hope all of this makes sense. It's been a long day with lots of writing, talking, and thinking about snaphooks, webbing, and all kinds of materials and my head is swirling a bit...

Zipper coil thread problem- getting worried-side-kick-shoulder-strap-update-jpg

Zipper coil thread problem- getting worried-side-kick-strap-update-jpg

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Lowcountry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered the black 1050 ballistic, and just received it last week. Even though, at the present, I am not having this problem with my zipper; if I wanted, could I return it for the new revision? I want to keep my original 1050 ballistic, and I do prefer the change.

The far west
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phayes47 View Post
    I ordered the black 1050 ballistic, and just received it last week. Even though, at the present, I am not having this problem with my zipper; if I wanted, could I return it for the new revision? I want to keep my original 1050 ballistic, and I do prefer the change.
    We aren't replacing bags that don't seem to experience the issue, but since you received your bag so recently and it's presumably still new, I'd recommend sending an email to Kat, Cody, or Matthew in our Customer Service department: emailus@tombihn.com

Hope that helps!

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I am DEFINITELY going to need one of those Cloud Side Kicks!
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation photos. It makes sense now.

Also, I find the swiveling annoying, as I'm always trying to straighten the strap out. I actually prefer it if the strap didn't swivel.

So if you wanted to do the upgrade yourself, how do you cut the triangle plastic bit off successfully? What tool do you use?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast