Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheep_jeep View Post
    -On a Saturday I did all four parks in one day, standing in the bag check line each time and never waited more then 5 minutes throughout the whole day. Unless it is a crazy time of year (spring break/Christmas) the lines are not going to be that long and should not delay you too much.
    OMG WHY?!?!? You are crazy!!!!!

That said, The WDW monorail transportation system is pretty good so it's possible to get around all four theme parks, assuming you start out early and run around all day.

Saturdays are actually not that bad at WDW because the majority of visitors are not local, and they use the weekend to travel. That's a complete flip of Anaheim, where they've had to come up with all sorts of contorted methods to reduce local (annual passholder) crowds who inundate the parks on the weekends (especially Saturday).

So if you're visiting Disneyland in California, either avoid the weekends, or check the annual passholder blockout dates and go during the times when the locals are shut out (peak summer days, holiday seasons, etc.).

Two more very important tips, since sheep_jeep was able to hop on attractions with no more than a 5-minute wait... sheep_jeep, when did you go on this trip? It's possible to do standby walk-ons onto a lot of attractions during the slow season (and I tend to not plan in advance so I do the same thing), but if there are any rides you REALLY want to go on, you ABSOLUTELY must get a Fastpass in advance. They're essentially a placeholder you get in advance that reserves a window of time for you to go on a ride.

Some rides are extremely popular. *IF* you are picky about what rides you want to do, you're going to be pretty frustrated that all you can mange is five rides in a day (when you are paying $120 to go into the park and mostly just stand in line).

Good example: Disney's Animal Kingdom opened their new Avatar-themed land last year (remember that old James Cameron SF/Fantasy movie with the tall blue people?). They have a ride there called "Avatar Flight of Passage" that SINGLEHANDEDLY put the Disney Parks and Resorts division in the black last year (OK maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration... but not by much).

I just looked up the standby wait time right this very second. 230 MINUTES. If you went to Animal Kingdom right now and went to stand in line, you will be in line for almost four hours to get on this ride. And it's almost impossible to get a Fastpass if you don't grab one the moment you're able.

...which brings me to my last point.

If your kids have their heart set on meeting certain characters, at least in WDW in Florida, they've got it down to a science where you can get Fastpass reservations for meet-and-greets. But you have to plan it in advance. The moment you know you're going, buy your park tickets in advance so you're able to use the My Disney Experience smartphone app to pick up Fastpasses for everyone. You're limited to how many you can get in advance, but if you get the ones that are really important, it's one huge stresser off your back.

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I suggest a small fanny-pack for kids at Disneyland.

When my children were young they loved to collect signatures from the characters in the park. Disneyland sells an autograph book that is about 3"x5". Each of my kids would wear fanny packs holding a few granola bars, a pen/marker and their autograph book. The books were accessed all the time and really added to thier Disney experience. The adults would carry bulky items into the park (water, jackets etc) in our backpacks and we would usually use a locker-rental to store the jackets in until it became cold.

After doing this for over 20 years of annual passes, I learned that it just didn't work trying to get kids to carry anything more than a simple fanny pack item that was semi-permenently attached to them and allowed them to keep their hands free. I also appreciated not having to keep track of their bags in addition to keeping track of them.
    This is exactly what I'm thinking. We're going to make small autograph books for them to bring. Since my husband is not coming with us, I don't want to be the sole pack animal, especially for water bottles. I have a SCB and that is probably what I'll carry, but it seems too big for what I want them to carry for themselves, which isn't much. My daughter, especially, is always thirsty. I found a link showing a small Tiger or Naglene bottle can fit vertically in the Travel Cubelet, and I like the idea of the bottle staying vertical to worry less about leaks, but I can see how wearing it cross-body style could be annoying/tiring for them and potentially dangerous on rides.

So, now I have another question: Does anyone know if I could use a Gatekeeper waist strap with the small sides loops of the travel cubelet?

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas and things to consider- it's my first time to Disney as an adult

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    This is exactly what I'm thinking. We're going to make small autograph books for them to bring. Since my husband is not coming with us, I don't want to be the sole pack animal, especially for water bottles. I have a SCB and that is probably what I'll carry, but it seems too big for what I want them to carry for themselves, which isn't much. My daughter, especially, is always thirsty. I found a link showing a small Tiger or Naglene bottle can fit vertically in the Travel Cubelet, and I like the idea of the bottle staying vertical to worry less about leaks, but I can see how wearing it cross-body style could be annoying/tiring for them and potentially dangerous on rides.

So, now I have another question: Does anyone know if I could use a Gatekeeper waist strap with the small sides loops of the travel cubelet?

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas and things to consider- it's my first time to Disney as an adult
    My concern with using the TC as a waist pack is similar to using the Side Kick: it's a bit tall as a waist pack even for an adult.

Since a 7oz Tiger and an 8oz Nalgene fit vertically in a Side Effect, is there another reason you were thinking of a TC instead?

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if I can say this on the Forum but ... It's my opinion that Tom Bihn bags are not designed or optimized for children. The SE and TC are great bags but both are rather large and odd shaped for the average 10-year-old to wear for 12 + hours standing / sitting / walking in the park. Part of the fun of going to Disneyland is being able to get branded souvenirs that you can use once you are home to preserve the memory. I recommend checking out Etsy or other online Disney retailers for youth Fanny Packs that have the Disney characters on them. They will be a fun memory of the trip and they are also designed for children to carry all day at the park.

If you prefer to use a TB bag I would recommend trying out the 3DOC and attaching the TB waist strap with the gatekeeper clips. Size-wise, that would be a good fit to hold sevreal items and not be a problem when sitting on the rides.

Here is a link to a blogger who recommends using a Fanny Pack when visiting a Disney park.

https://disneyfashionista.com//top-1...-disney-parks/
    Last edited by nimikor; 03-27-2018 at 04:35 PM.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a brilliant idea

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best bags for small children at Disney

Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post

Here is a link to a blogger who recommends using a Fanny Pack when visiting a Disney park.

https://disneyfashionista.com//top-1...-disney-parks/
    Her reasons are solid! Waist packs are underrated.

I agree that a branded one would be a fun souvenir.

Or you could consider a running waist pack that comes with a water bottle pocket, for the child who is always thirsty.
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-28-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Clarity

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    My concern with using the TC as a waist pack is similar to using the Side Kick: it's a bit tall as a waist pack even for an adult.

Since a 7oz Tiger and an 8oz Nalgene fit vertically in a Side Effect, is there another reason you were thinking of a TC instead?
    I was thinking about a TC because it was the smallest bag and I know it's going to be hot and the days will be long, so I don't want the bags to feel too heavy or just be cumbersome. Also, if (most likely when) we get to the point that they don't want to carry them, the TCs will fit in my bag (I suppose that would be the same for the SE).

Today I asked my son to carry my SCB for a while and he loved it. He said he felt like Hermes, the messenger. So, at least I know he likes the cross-body style.
    Last edited by nessagr; 03-30-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a SE last week in Aubergine with a waist strap to give it a try, as that seemed to be the most popular recommendation. My daughter (age 6) is currently wearing it as a hip pack, and asked me if she could wear it to Disney. I'll have to shorten the straps for her, but I can see now how the vertical orientation of the travel cubelet might not be comfortable as a hip pack. I do think the SE is going to be a good way to go. My plan is to surprise them with full bags closer to our departure, decorated with some pins, and inside the perfectly sized TB notepads decorated in theme to use as autograph books, and a mini OP each for their daily supply of quarters/pennies for the souvenir presses. I still need to figure out the water bottle/camera configuration, but have plenty of time to work on that. Now, to order one in red for my son!

Size-wise she is tiny for her age (about the size of a 4 year old) but the SE doesn't overwhelm her, as you can see:
    Best bags for small children at Disney-img_7377-jpg Best bags for small children at Disney-img_7376-jpg

I, on the other hand, did not like the feel of a hip pack and could see it driving me crazy in 80 degree heat, so I'm still not sure what I'll be doing- maybe my SCB with everything inside OPs secured with key straps so I don't have to worry about everything falling out on rides? Maybe I'll just carry one water bottle for the three of us and refill as needed- seems like there will be plenty of places to do that. No water would make their bags much less heavy/full and eliminate my worry about getting the cameras wet. (They are both really taken with the idea of having a camera, and have asked for one for their summer birthdays).

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ordered a SE last week in Aubergine with a waist strap to give it a try, as that seemed to be the most popular recommendation. My daughter (age 6) is currently wearing it as a hip pack, and asked me if she could wear it to Disney. I'll have to shorten the straps for her, but I can see now how the vertical orientation of the travel cubelet might not be comfortable as a hip pack. I do think the SE is going to be a good way to go.
    Here's a suggestion you can try for using shorter waist straps if you don't want to cut down the existing waist strap yourself, and are willing to do some simple bag hacking: get the Smart Alec Gate Keeper Strap.

These straps are used to carry items lashed to the front webbing loops of the Smart Alec, where the minimum separation is 6" (300 mm). As a consequence, the length of the webbing on the longer side of the SA Gate Keeper Strap is only 14" in contrast to the 20" length of each of the two webbing sides of the regular waist strap. The Gate Keeper Straps have one very short end with the female portion of the 1" Side Release (Buckle) sewn to the end of the webbing.

The combination I find most convenient is to use is the longer end of the SA Gate Keeper Strap with half of the regular waist strap. You might be able to use two sets of the longer end of the SA Gate Keeper Strap in place of the two ends of the regular waist strap, but it may be a bit marginal with the Side Effect. (I can use this combination in place of the waist strap of a backpack, which occupies more width along my waist than an SE, but it doesn't allow for much adjustment when you use heavier outer clothing, and the fit is tighter when worn with the Side Effect).
    If you experiment with this, you'd need to either unthread the female part of the side release buckle from the regular waist strap and then thread it onto one of the SA Gate Keeper Strap long ends (after removing the male part of the side release buckle).

There's another option for adults who want to wear the Side Effect for long periods around the waist, and don't want dangling straps: if you have the Field Journal Notebook Strap you can shorten it to almost its minimum length and attach it to the SE. The down side of using this as a waist strap is that in order to take it off, you need to disengage the Gate keeper clips where they connect to the Side Effect -- you don't have a buckle. However, if the length is comfortably adjusted, there's only flat webbing against your waist, and this can be comfortable to wear for long periods. The Citizen Canine 1" Shoulder Strap is similar to the FJN Strap, but in Coyote. It's an option when ordering the Citizen Canine, but you can get it separately if you contact Customer Support. I find that it is just slightly longer than the (black) FJN strap, so that at minimum length it is slightly too large for my waist with the SE (unlike the FJN strap), but it will probably work for many/most adults.

Best bags for small children at Disney-imageuploadedbytapatalk1523249771-977512-jpg

The top picture shows a Coyote Side Effect with a modified waist strap consisting of the longer side of the SA Gate Keeper Strap + half of the regular waist strap. The strap half on the right side of the picture is from the Gate Keeper Strap, at nearly full extension. (This just about centers the buckle on my waist). To the left, the extra strap of half of the standard 1" webbing waist strap extends. (I'm right handed, so when the SE is worn, I'd be pulling on this length, that extends toward the left end of the picture, to adjust the waist strap). You can see that the setting for two half lengths of the longer section of the SA Gate Keeper Strap on the SE almost works for me -- with no room for adjusting the waist strap at all. Just below the Coyote Side Effect I show the length of the longer part of the SA Gate Keeper Strap (with no parts of the Side Release Buckle threaded onto the strap). Underneath, for comparison, is half of the regular 1" waist strap, with the male portion of the Side Release Buckle threaded onto the strap. The difference in length is 6" of webbing. The end of each strap is sewn with a double thickness of webbing. This reinforced strap end can be threaded through the sections of the 1" Side Release Buckle.

It's easier to see the places where you can thread the double thickness end of the strap in the picture of the male half of the 1" Side Release Buckle (the female half is not sold separately in Parts, but the combination of the entire buckle is the same price -- $1.00 -- as just the male half of the buckle)

Best bags for small children at Disney-imageuploadedbytapatalk1523249846-812361-jpg

The SA Gate Keeper Strap (both parts, separated at the Side Release Buckle) is shown below the two previous strap sections. Below it is the Field Journal Notebook Strap nearly doubled (at about the correct setting for my waist) with one end attached to a Mars Red Side Effect. Below that is the Citizen Canine Shoulder Strap at its minimum length setting.

My plan is to surprise them with full bags closer to our departure, decorated with some pins, and inside the perfectly sized TB notepads decorated in theme to use as autograph books, and a mini OP each for their daily supply of quarters/pennies for the souvenir presses. I still need to figure out the water bottle/camera configuration, but have plenty of time to work on that. Now, to order one in red for my son!

I, on the other hand, did not like the feel of a hip pack and could see it driving me crazy in 80 degree heat, so I'm still not sure what I'll be doing- maybe my SCB with everything inside OPs secured with key straps so I don't have to worry about everything falling out on rides?
    You might find a Halcyon version of the Side Effect more comfortable to wear around the waist, since it is more fabric-like, and also molds better to your shape than the Ballistic Nylon versions. The most comfortable SE in this respect would be the Original Halcyon/Wasabi SE. (I've tried both Halcyon and Ballistic Nylon Side Effects).

HTH

moriond

ETA: In addition to using parts of the Smart Alec Gate Keeper straps for less dangly waist straps, and for their designed purpose of securing items to the front of the Smart Alec that can't be held just by the elastic cord at the front, I use them for bag hacking. See, for example, my post (#12 in the Smart Alec with MacBook Pro Retina (13" or 15") and iPad Pro 12.9" thread, for pictures showing how a 13" Retina MacBook Pro is secured to the back wall inside the Smart Alec with this strap. (I'd probably use my Vertical Brain Cell if I needed more protection).
    Last edited by moriond; 04-08-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You might find a Halcyon version of the Side Effect more comfortable to wear around the waist, since it is more fabric-like, and also molds better to your shape than the Ballistic Nylon versions. The most comfortable SE in this respect would be the Original Halcyon/Wasabi SE. (I've tried both Halcyon and Ballistic Nylon Side Effects).
    Is Original Halcyon/Wasabi more comfortable/flexible than other Halcyon combinations, then?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'll just carry one water bottle for the three of us and refill as needed- seems like there will be plenty of places to do that. No water would make their bags much less heavy/full and eliminate my worry about getting the cameras wet.
    We did exactly that on our recent trip to Orlando. Refilling at restaurants was very easy. I got this water bottle from Bed Bath and Beyond, the mist sprayer was awesome while waiting in hot lines.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...bottle/3304093

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Is Original Halcyon/Wasabi more comfortable/flexible than other Halcyon combinations, then?
    Hi @aedifica,
    All of the Halcyon combinations will give you flexibility in the Side Effect. I find the 400d (white grid) Halcyon fabrics slightly more cloth-like in their textures, so I think that any of these (including Original Nordic and Steel) are a bit more comfortable to wear around the waist. YMMV. I'm a tactile person, so I notice differences in fabric hand -- including when earlier production batches of 400d original Nordic Halcyon still had faint residual grids in the first batch of COWs made from them. You can experiment for yourself, since I know you have different Halcyon products. Visually, there are lots of cases where I like the new (Grey grid) Black and Nordic 400d Halcyon (e.g. for the Daylight Briefcase and Night Flight Travel Duffel), and my Side Kick is the New Black Halcyon/Island combination.

HTH

moriond

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I find the 400d (white grid) Halcyon fabrics slightly more cloth-like in their textures, so I think that any of these (including Original Nordic and Steel) are a bit more comfortable to wear around the waist. YMMV.
    Oh, that is interesting--thank you! I'd never noticed any difference, but until recently I didn't have the same bag in more than one Halcyon, so any difference in flexibility would have been attributed to the cut of the bag. Now that I have an Original Halcyon/Wasabi Side Effect as well as my Black Halcyon/Island Side Effect, I'll try comparing them.

Lincolnshire (UK)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    OK, granted I haven't been to Disney since I was young, but I never carried a bag there. There are water fountains everywhere, restaurants everywhere (and water is free), and I didn't need to take photos of anything. Bring nothing and just have fun. PUt your credit card in a pants pocket and that's it.
    I second this.
    Kids do not need a bag at WDW, a vacation is supposed to be fun ...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UK-Limey View Post
    I second this.
    Kids do not need a bag at WDW, a vacation is supposed to be fun ...
    But the right bag, well-stocked, IS fun! Best bags for small children at Disney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast