1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    But the right bag, well-stocked, IS fun! Best bags for small children at Disney
    Not at a theme park. It just weighs you down.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I delete a post?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-11-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Not at a theme park. It just weighs you down.
    A major goal of any out-all-day situation with kids is to reduce whining and meltdowns.

If having a small water bottle in a small bag is going to reduce that, as it might for the OP's thirstier child, then that benefit outweighs the potential burden of carrying the bag in the first place. Ditto snacks, especially for fussy, allergic, or hypoglycemic kids.

What I've just said doesn't address whether the adult should just carry things instead of the kids (another potential whine reducer), but the OP knows the kids best and is the best judge of their capability.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 3D Organizer Cube is also a solution, it is much lighter which will be a plus in 80 degree humid weather.

A mister, water, sunscreen and a hat are also must have, in any circumstances, in the South, I think it would be even more important in lines, on top of concrete or asphalt, in a crowd. A tiny coin purse can help getting ice pop, if someone can hold the place in line or, before getting in line.

The 3D Organizer Cube can carry small sizes of the items above, and the hat can be secured to the 3D Organizer Cube with the Simple Shoulder Strap.

A Simple Shoulder Strap is very lightweight and can be configured to use as long cross body, a waist strap, doubled up to make a purse-like strap, which also works perfectly with the Side Effect.

The one question would be will the camera fits there? Or, can it be carried separately by your child, if it has its own holder with strap?
    Or would you carry it?

I used to be a city park guide and I also had to endure very hot and humid southern summers.
    The park experience taught me that, as the day goes by, every ounce carried becomes a quart or a gallon.
    It is even worse in hot weather.
    Sitting and hydrating as much as possible is a must to avoid heat exhaustion.
    In addition, tired children and obnoxious adults take a toll on enjoyment.
    There is always a line at the women's bathroom.

People will flock to air conditioned areas after their rides, around lunch, around mid afternoon snack time that means sitting is limited.

I suggest checking the park's map, well in advance, to pinpoint the rides, the bathrooms, places to eat and areas to rest. In addition,
    find out with popular map apps where it is flat and hilly and plan your day from there. If you can do a virtual tour, it is even better.

Choose comfortable, broken in shoes, for every family member.

A week or so before you go; check the weather, there may be more cloud and rain than sun; find out if any rides are closed and plan alternatives.

I almost forgot, everything is designed to get visitors to spend as much money as possible, so there are also gift shop(s) and stands placed in strategic areas. Logo stuff and little figurines can be bought at discount stores worldwide, stuffed animals are hard to pack and easy to loose.

Tickets, stickers and print out of the pictures taken by family members can be gathered during the trip and put together in a travel journal or a scrapbook as a keepsake.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-11-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to WDW, then I have some experience, as I was there in November 2017 and about a dozen times in the past 6 years. I haven't been to Disneyland in a long time.

Every child is different, but 90% of the kids in the WDW parks aren't carrying anything. There are many good reasons for this. Since kids need to take twice as many steps for a given distance as an adult, they have it even worse than adults in the heat. I've seen children who look like they are 10 years old being pushed in the rental strollers because of the combination of heat and being on your feet a lot. My son used to want to bring a camera and bag, but that desire faded very, very fast, and weíre from NYC so he is very used to walking. At the end of the day, it's the parent that usually has a backpack. As I posted earlier in this thread, I use a folding backpack that I can stuff into my pocket (Osprey makes mine, and it's amazingly good) and then open up to hold a camera, snacks, umbrellas and 3 rain jackets.

There is plenty of water in the park, from water fountains and you can buy bottled water. Unless you are on a tight budget, I don't really see a need for carrying around liquids. Disney doesn't really have healthy snacks, so that may be worth bringing with you. From what Iíve seen, lots of people bring those food snack bars into the park.

A few non-bag related tips

* I noticed you are going in October. If your kids are interested in EPCOT, like the Frozen ride, I would go to that as soon as the ride area opens. There is a food and wine festival at EPCOT in the Fall and people get plastered in the late afternoon. Itís mind boggling why someone would pay really high prices to get drunk at a childrenís park, but it happens. They also may gravitate there, because the Magic Kingdom and other areas donít serve alcohol outside of a few sit down restaurants.

* As others have mentioned, you need to make sure you book fast passes at the popular rides well in advance. The Mine Train, Avatar (the 3-D ride), Peter Pan, and Frozen lines can get very long. By very long, I mean 300 minutes long!

* Download the Disney App to your phone as it has a wait time list, food and bathroom locations, and schedules.

* If itís really hot, you actually can walk through the air conditioned stores a fairly long distance. For instance, at the Magic Kingdom you can walk the entire length of Main Street through the stores on the left hand side (you exit at the Casey's Corner hot dog place). EPCOT has an area near the entrance with free soda and a fairly long corridor and Hollywood Studios has a long corridor of stores by the entrance. There is nothing you can do at Animal Kingdom, it's hot there.

* Watch your children around people with motorized scooters. Five years ago, these things were relatively rare. Now there are a ton of these at the parks being driven by people who arenít used to driving them because they are clearly not handicapped. Some drivers are careful. Some drivers are well meaning but not experienced. Then you have the bad eggs who are angry and just drive these things at full speed expecting pedestrians to get out of the way.

* Moving between parks takes time. For instance, moving from Magic Kingdom to EPCOT on the monorail requires a station transfer. The boat from EPCOT to Hollywood Studios is slow. Otherwise, you are taking a bus. As I noted, there are a lot of motorized scooters at Disney. They take a huge amount of room, because unlike with a normal wheelchair, the person using them almost never sits on the scooter.
    Last edited by NClens; 04-11-2018 at 10:51 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas, thoughts, and tips. I do want to reiterate that I will not be forcing my kids to carry their bags all day. Right now, in the planning stages, they have asked about carrying bags with the items I mentioned above, so I am going with it and encouraging them to carry the stuff they tell me they want to have with them. When they are hot and tired, will I refuse to carry their things? Of course not. But if they carry them even for a couple of hours in the morning, it's a couple less hours I have to do it. We'll also reassess after the first day, and they may decide they don't need/want everything they think they do now. We travel a lot, and they have backpacks they take everywhere stuffed full, but I like that a smaller bag will help them think about reducing what they carry to the bare minimum, a skill you can't learn too early. (Yes, I realize no bag at all would be the most minimal, but I have yet to evolve to that advanced stage of development).
    Last edited by nessagr; 04-11-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    Yes, I realize no bag at all would be the most minimal, but I have yet to evolve to that advanced stage of development.
    My how times change. I was 20 before I felt the need to carry a purse, but I just got my first car and I needed something to carry my keys and my wallet, and that's all. I hated carrying a bag. Even now, I don't carry a purse to work if I'm carrying a briefcase or totebag (never both at the same time).

One of my co-irkers carries TWO S25 sized backpacks to work. One has his lunch in it (a microwave dinner) and the other has a small, slim 13" laptop in it. I don't get it. I really don't.

Sorry, I got off topic. But it's awkward to have a bag on a ride.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    My how times change. I was 20 before I felt the need to carry a purse, but I just got my first car and I needed something to carry my keys and my wallet, and that's all. I hated carrying a bag. Even now, I don't carry a purse to work if I'm carrying a briefcase or totebag (never both at the same time).

One of my co-irkers carries TWO S25 sized backpacks to work. One has his lunch in it (a microwave dinner) and the other has a small, slim 13" laptop in it. I don't get it. I really don't.

Sorry, I got off topic. But it's awkward to have a bag on a ride.
    Some people like to carry stuff with them, some don't, it isn't a matter of times changing, or age at all. I have had friends age 15 and 40 who carry nothing with them apart from their keys and a credit card, but I remember getting very excited to have a purse when I was a little kid, and I am the same now. I love a well-stocked bag. People are just different.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Disney World six times, going back this summer, and I've only tried making my son use a waist pack (that he decided to call a "crotch bag" haha) once. It was nice having some of my load shifted to him, but he was already 13 by then, so I wasn't as worried about him losing things or the weight bothering him. He wasn't crazy about it, but I considered it a successful experiment.

Stuff I HAVE to bring with me to the parks: tissues, hand sanitizer, epipen and benadryl, phone (he'll have one too this year), charger, lip balm, travel sized sunscreen, cheap disposable ponchos for when it rains (we usually go in late summer when afternoon showers are inevitable), and a water bottle. I am a big water drinker, as is my son, so we would be spending way too much on water, or half the day at water fountains, if we didn't have one. This year I'm planning to try a vapur style expandable bottle, hopefully that will work well.

This year I'll probably use my Side Kick and have my son use a Side Effect or travel cubelet, although I'm seriously considering trying going bagless at Universal Studios, where you have to stow bags in lockers on many rides. I really, really hate the lockers, so if I can figure out a way to go without all the above stuff, I'd gladly do so.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matrox View Post
    I've been to Disney World six times, going back this summer, and I've only tried making my son use a waist pack (that he decided to call a "crotch bag" haha) once. It was nice having some of my load shifted to him, but he was already 13 by then, so I wasn't as worried about him losing things or the weight bothering him. He wasn't crazy about it, but I considered it a successful experiment.

Stuff I HAVE to bring with me to the parks: tissues, hand sanitizer, epipen and benadryl, phone (he'll have one too this year), charger, lip balm, travel sized sunscreen, cheap disposable ponchos for when it rains (we usually go in late summer when afternoon showers are inevitable), and a water bottle. I am a big water drinker, as is my son, so we would be spending way too much on water, or half the day at water fountains, if we didn't have one. This year I'm planning to try a vapur style expandable bottle, hopefully that will work well.

This year I'll probably use my Side Kick and have my son use a Side Effect or travel cubelet, although I'm seriously considering trying going bagless at Universal Studios, where you have to stow bags in lockers on many rides. I really, really hate the lockers, so if I can figure out a way to go without all the above stuff, I'd gladly do so.
    It may be too warm for a Scottevest jacket there but Scottevest also sell t-shirts, cargo pants, even dresses now. I haven't ever tried any of it but now that I have looked I would love a dress and chambray shirt to take on holiday with me.

https://www.scottevest.com/womens-be...clothing.shtml

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Some people like to carry stuff with them, some don't, it isn't a matter of times changing, or age at all. I have had friends age 15 and 40 who carry nothing with them apart from their keys and a credit card, but I remember getting very excited to have a purse when I was a little kid, and I am the same now. I love a well-stocked bag. People are just different.
    I agree. People are different.

I apologize if I've tried to steamroll anyone with my comments. I didn't mean to do that. I hope you have a lot of fun at Disney.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Every child is different, but 90% of the kids in the WDW parks aren't carrying anything. There are many good reasons for this. Since kids need to take twice as many steps for a given distance as an adult, they have it even worse than adults in the heat. I've seen children who look like they are 10 years old being pushed in the rental strollers because of the combination of heat and being on your feet a lot. My son used to want to bring a camera and bag, but that desire faded very, very fast, and weíre from NYC so he is very used to walking. At the end of the day, it's the parent that usually has a backpack. As I posted earlier in this thread, I use a folding backpack that I can stuff into my pocket (Osprey makes mine, and it's amazingly good) and then open up to hold a camera, snacks, umbrellas and 3 rain jackets.
    I've experienced this on numerous occasions as well. Having a small bag for each child seems like a good idea, but the heat, humidity and walking soon take their toll and the parents end up handling multiple bags. We're over in Florida 3-4 times a year as we have a holiday home in Orlando. So we've spent PLENTY of time in all of the parks. We keep it simple with just a single DLBP that dad & mum takes turns in carrying.
    Last edited by UK-Limey; 04-16-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    When they are hot and tired, will I refuse to carry their things? Of course not. But if they carry them even for a couple of hours in the morning, it's a couple less hours I have to do it.
    I would plan *your* bag(s) considering both your load when your kids are carrying their bags and when you have to carry their bags too. Assuming you don't want to be carrying three bags separately, you'll probably want either a bag that can hold their bags too or a separate folded bag that can fit in yours and be opened to hold all three bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3