Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Winona, MN
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best bags for small children at Disney

I'm planning to take my kids ages 7 and 9 to Disney in October, and I'm thinking of getting them each a small bag to carry around their camera, water bottle, and some snacks during the day. I'm considering the travel cubelet, the side kick, or the side effect and wondering what pros/cons you can foresee with each. For example the SE and SK can be worn as waist packs, which means they could keep them with them on all rides, right? Would that also work for a travel cubelet worn as a cross-body bag? They aren't going to be going on the major thrill rides, so I'm thinking this might not be such an issue anyway, but would a water bottle fit in the travel cubelet? Right now I'm leaning towards the travel cubelet because its the most cost-effective, but wondering if a waist bag option would be more comfortable for them. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even at a low speed, I would still be concerned about a shoulder strap of the Travel Cubelet snagging on a ride, though otherwise it seems like a great solution, sizewise. (But then, I'm a worrier.) For a hip pack, I'd think the Side Effect would be the best bet. I have never carried a water bottle in one, but I've seen posts by people who do -- I assume, sideways*. If you used small ones, does Disney have water-fountains readily available around the park for refilling?

The memo bottle, mentioned by @carrot, might be a good fit.

Alternatively, very lightweight backpacks or kid-sized hydration packs? The DLBP seems too large for a smallish child, but there are other brands (which I won't go into detail about here). Ultimately, it probably depends on what carry method they prefer.

Enjoy Disney!

*I guess it would have to be very watertight to avoid any possibility of spillage on the camera.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 03-25-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder whether the SE and TC might be a little on the small side for camera, water bottle and snacks together?

You might also like to consider the small cafe bag, but it doesn't zip closed, so I don't know whether that would be a deal breaker.

Attached a quick photo of a halcyon side effect with 500ml/ 14oz Nalgene, a small coin purse and a few small bits in the inside pockets. It zips closed easily but i couldn't fit a camera in. The same water bottle fits upright in the Side Kick but I don't have one at the moment to take pics (traded it).

I can easily fit the water bottle, a full side effect and a few more bits into the small cafe which is why I suggest it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it...but the sprout would have been the best solution. Since that is not an option have you thought about a small packingcube backpack? they are light weight and small. You do two tri-star pcbp in different colors for them. I just am not sure bout the whole fanny pack thing for a kid.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best bags for small children at Disney

If you have the right water bottle and snacks that are the right shape it can all fit in a SE.

I have a 8oz Nalgene wide mouth leakproof travel bottle (ETA: https://www.containerstore.com/s/nal...avel-bottles/d ) which I'm trying out as a small water bottle.

It fits in a SE if nothing much is in the front pocket and also if it isn't crammed full.

Here are some pics to illustrate this bottle, my camera in a case, and snacks. (I used a 525 ballistic SE which means that whatever fits in it will fit in a halcyon SE, as that's slightly more flexible. I don't have a 1050 ballistic to test)

Here is the bottle next to the SE. It is decorated with washi tape but I might put a TB sticker on it.

Here is the bottle next to my camera. Note that the remaining snack space is a similar size and shape, about fist sized. A long thin snack won't work. It will have to be something short.

Here are random snacks I have on hand. The things on the SE all fit in that empty space. The full size Kind Bar doesn't work because it it too long and won't zip comfortably even if it's in the front pocket.

And here are the short snacks with the bottle and camera. It zips comfortably.

ETA: I think a SK will be a bit big for a kid to use as a waist pack
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-25-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two kids both have a small cafe bag. It’s the perfect size for those few things you said they might need.

The size/shape of them is also ‘fitting’ of a child’s size. Although it’s an open top (flap v zip) that’s easier to manage for the kids and each has the zipped front pocket and I’ve attached a small OP with a key strap for their more important small things.

The strap on these is more comfortable to carry than the SE or SK over the shoulder and the SCBs came in more kid friendly colours (at least the cordura ones did, we have Plum and French Blue).

Finally, they are still small enough for mom or dad to carry them in addition to whatever we are carrying when the kids get tired.

SCBs are a winner in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found my old post from 4 years ago asking for advice on the SCB. It has some great photos of kids using a SCB to demonstrate the size of it.

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...-old-girl.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disney now has an airport-style security system, where guests with bags have to get them inspected and walk through a metal detector. Guests without bags skip the inspection line, which can get extremely long. So unless you really have to bring bags into the park, I would avoid them. This may sound strange, but I wear cargo pants and put whatever I need into one pocket and actually carry a folding backpack in the other pocket. I then place everything in the backpack after I enter the park.
    Last edited by NClens; 03-25-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Disney now has an airport-style security system, where guests with bags have to get them inspected and walk through a metal detector. Guests without bags skip the inspection line, which can get extremely long. So unless you really have to bring bags into the park, I would avoid them. This may sound strange, but I wear cargo pants and put whatever I need into one pocket and actually carry a folding backpack in the other pocket. I then place everything in the backpack after I enter the park.
    I do the the same! I also usually have a throw away plastic poncho for the water rides and or the Florida daily 20 minute rain shower.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest a small fanny-pack for kids at Disneyland.

When my children were young they loved to collect signatures from the characters in the park. Disneyland sells an autograph book that is about 3"x5". Each of my kids would wear fanny packs holding a few granola bars, a pen/marker and their autograph book. The books were accessed all the time and really added to thier Disney experience. The adults would carry bulky items into the park (water, jackets etc) in our backpacks and we would usually use a locker-rental to store the jackets in until it became cold.

After doing this for over 20 years of annual passes, I learned that it just didn't work trying to get kids to carry anything more than a simple fanny pack item that was semi-permenently attached to them and allowed them to keep their hands free. I also appreciated not having to keep track of their bags in addition to keeping track of them.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to buck the thread trend here and suggest that your kids might do better to simply not have anything to carry at all. Typically, visits to Disney theme park is long and tiring. And depending on the bag, they have to remove it when they go on a ride, increasing the risk that they might forget it on a ride vehicle.

I would have ONE adult in your party carry all the smaller stuff in a pack, like a DLBP. For shoulder seasons where you might want jackets and such, I'd recommend getting a locker and using it to stash stuff.

As background, I've had a Disneyland annual passport off and on for 20 years, as as a Walt Disney World annual pass. I'm a Disney Vacation Club member, and go at least once a year to WDW to run the marathon (and use our DVC points). I don't have kids, but I have a pretty big social circle of friends who are AP holders, and who have raised their kids in the theme parks.

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    ...it just didn't work trying to get kids to carry anything more than a simple fanny pack item that was semi-permenently attached to them and allowed them to keep their hands free.
    nimikor has nailed it here. Anything that could come off of the kids, you risk losing.

Also, keep in mind any bags require bag checks at the security gates these days.

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Disney... Guests without bags skip the inspection line, which can get extremely long.
    Actually that's ONLY for Walt Disney World in Florida. The Disneyland Resort has made a lot of changes in the past year--they no longer have the bag checks by the ticket booths (they now catch people before going into Downtown Disney, although there are also other security entrances) but NONE of them have no-bag lines.

That would be too efficient.

If you're going to Disneyland in California, there's no espress line to skip bag checks. Even if you don't have any bags.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, granted I haven't been to Disney since I was young, but I never carried a bag there. There are water fountains everywhere, restaurants everywhere (and water is free), and I didn't need to take photos of anything. Bring nothing and just have fun. PUt your credit card in a pants pocket and that's it.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently got back from 5 days at Disney World, and was so happy i had purchased a side kick just before my trip. It was the perfect bag for me, holding my wallet, change purse, phone, kindle paperwhite, small bottle of sunscreen and a 12oz bottle of water that fit perfectly. A couple of thoughts on bag vs no bag at the park:
    -If you are going to be there for the whole day and get there early then I think you would be better off carrying a small bag with the basics and have what you need. If you are going to be in and out of the park several times then you may not need the snacks/water if going back to your room/car and can save the bag check time. Disney does provide free cups of filtered water at quick service locations, but I found that I liked having my own bottle of water when waiting in long lines.
    -On a Saturday I did all four parks in one day, standing in the bag check line each time and never waited more then 5 minutes throughout the whole day. Unless it is a crazy time of year (spring break/Christmas) the lines are not going to be that long and should not delay you too much.

That being said, I think a travel cubelet would be a perfect size for a kid to carry, and would not overwhelm you, if you had to end up carrying it for a while. I wore my sidekick on each ride I went on, including most of the major roller coasters and wore it messenger style, pulled to my front with the bag just below the harnesses and never had any issues. I loved that it zipped shut for a sense of security for what was inside.
    Hope you all have a great trip!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast