Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DLBP v Luminary

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DLBP v Luminary

I can't decide between the DLBP and the Luminary. I like the lightweight design of the DLBP but I'm concerned the straps will dig in or be itchy is I wear a tank top. I like the straps and the organization of the Luminary. Does anyone have experience with both? If so, which do you prefer? Or does it depend on what I want to use them for?

I'm going to a convention in Phoenix at the end of May so it will be hot outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a while, I was using the DLBP as my everyday carry bag in the Fall and Winter. The backpack straps were very surprisingly comfortable for a 30 min walk twice a day loaded with a laptop and stuff. I did have a jacket on, so not sure if it would be good to carry in the summer. I ultimately had to retire the backpack more because it was hanging too low, making the bag umcortable due to the weight of what I was carrying. I’ have a smaller frame with back problems and the length of the bag was too long for my liking. I now use it as my weekend “carry the kids stuff” and it is great just to have as a quick, light, comfortable backpack with lots of open space to carry a lot of stuff.

The Luminary is my favorite TB bag to carry. I use it to carry my personal items - Side effect with my most important items and a light jacket. The back slot for tablets is fantastic and I love this for my ereader or mini tablet. The side pockets are pretty useless though, but good for a small item like travel hand sanitizer or squeezing in a phone. I find the Luminary not great for carrying much more than a few items as it can get overstuffed quickly. However, this is perfect for me. The backpack straps feel great - very sturdy and comfortable. and I love how I can easily wear the backpack anywhere - the slim profile and length mean that I forget that I have it on and I can easily wear it while sitting at a restaurant without feeling odd about it (with kids, it’s not out-of-place, especially with winter jackets and general kids stuff strewn about).

So, my answer is... it depends on what you want out of the backpack. For convention purposes, it depends on whether you carry and pick up stuff or like to go minimal.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How tall are you? The Luminary is VERY comfortable, but only for people below a certain height. I am 5'2", and it is the bag I most frequently wear day-to-day. The rigidity makes it easier to pack full without items shlumping to the bottom, and the back flat panel is indispensable for me. The top handle is very nice to hold and makes it easy to carry the backpack when needed.

However, the Daylight Backpack might be preferable i:
    * you are tall enough that the Luminary might not be comfortable
    * you're carrying large items that would not fit in the Luminary
    * you want something that will pack flat in your travel bag

I use my Halcyon DLBP when I need a stealth bag that can be unfolded and put into use, when I'm carrying odd-size items, and at places where backpacks are technically not allowed (because I can fold it up and tuck it under my arm if someone approaches me about it). I DO find the straps to be comfortable, though I'm always wearing it over sleeves. But under normal circumstances, I find the Luminary more functional.

A new version of the DLBP in ballistic fabrics is out, and this may wear and function differently than the Halcyon one that I'm discussing. Maybe someone who bought one of those will post a report soon, which will give you a better basis for comparison.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    How tall are you? The Luminary is VERY comfortable, but only for people below a certain height. I am 5'2", and it is the bag I most frequently wear day-to-day. The rigidity makes it easier to pack full without items shlumping to the bottom, and the back flat panel is indispensable for me. The top handle is very nice to hold and makes it easy to carry the backpack when needed.

However, the Daylight Backpack might be preferable i:
    * you are tall enough that the Luminary might not be comfortable
    * you're carrying large items that would not fit in the Luminary
    * you want something that will pack flat in your travel bag

I use my Halcyon DLBP when I need a stealth bag that can be unfolded and put into use, when I'm carrying odd-size items, and at places where backpacks are technically not allowed (because I can fold it up and tuck it under my arm if someone approaches me about it). I DO find the straps to be comfortable, though I'm always wearing it over sleeves. But under normal circumstances, I find the Luminary more functional.

A new version of the DLBP in ballistic fabrics is out, and this may wear and function differently than the Halcyon one that I'm discussing. Maybe someone who bought one of those will post a report soon, which will give you a better basis for comparison.
    I'm 5'4 and not planning to carry large items in my pack. Just a wallet, sunglasses, water bottle, sweater, some sunscreen, and a few little items so the Luminary should fit me okay.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emilymachado View Post
    For a while, I was using the DLBP as my everyday carry bag in the Fall and Winter. The backpack straps were very surprisingly comfortable for a 30 min walk twice a day loaded with a laptop and stuff. I did have a jacket on, so not sure if it would be good to carry in the summer. I ultimately had to retire the backpack more because it was hanging too low, making the bag umcortable due to the weight of what I was carrying. I’ have a smaller frame with back problems and the length of the bag was too long for my liking. I now use it as my weekend “carry the kids stuff” and it is great just to have as a quick, light, comfortable backpack with lots of open space to carry a lot of stuff.

The Luminary is my favorite TB bag to carry. I use it to carry my personal items - Side effect with my most important items and a light jacket. The back slot for tablets is fantastic and I love this for my ereader or mini tablet. The side pockets are pretty useless though, but good for a small item like travel hand sanitizer or squeezing in a phone. I find the Luminary not great for carrying much more than a few items as it can get overstuffed quickly. However, this is perfect for me. The backpack straps feel great - very sturdy and comfortable. and I love how I can easily wear the backpack anywhere - the slim profile and length mean that I forget that I have it on and I can easily wear it while sitting at a restaurant without feeling odd about it (with kids, it’s not out-of-place, especially with winter jackets and general kids stuff strewn about).

So, my answer is... it depends on what you want out of the backpack. For convention purposes, it depends on whether you carry and pick up stuff or like to go minimal.
    Hmmm based on your experience, I'm thinking I might be happier with the Luminary

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a DLBP because the straps seemed too basic for what I would find comfortable.

I have a Luminary that I think is great for EDC or urban excursions, as long as you're not wanting a laptop or tons of stuff. I put a couple water bottles and a rolled up jacket in the main compartment and Kindle or flat journal in the back compartment. The side pockets are small and a funky shape, but it all depends on what you want to carry. I put my Altoids tin, a Clif bar, and a small first aid kit in one... in the other I usually have a mini Q-Kit that holds those small travel vials of motrin, dramamine, etc. and a packet of tissues. I have it on a key strap and it fits ok if you angle the top zipper into the bag with the flat part of the Q-Kit up against the pocket zipper, if that makes sense...the inside shape of the Luminary side pockets is like the shape of the mini Q-Kit on it's side...

Of course, the standard advice is get one of each (or 3, if you try the DLBP in ballistic and halcyon), test pack them, and return the ones that don't work for you...
    Smilie

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @G42! And yes the explanation about the Q-Kit makes sense. I've also considered getting both and seeing which one I like best but I'd likely just keep them both. I'd find a use for both of them.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are carrying it ALL day, walking around, I'd go for the Luminary. I don't find the thin DLBP or PCBP straps comfortable enough to use all day. They are a bit scratchy when wearing short sleeves. Not exactly the strap material itself but there's a part with stitching that irritates my skin.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    If you are carrying it ALL day, walking around, I'd go for the Luminary. I don't find the thin DLBP or PCBP straps comfortable enough to use all day. They are a bit scratchy when wearing short sleeves. Not exactly the strap material itself but there's a part with stitching that irritates my skin.
    Good to know, thanks sarah_atx

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tortyqueen View Post
    I've also considered getting both and seeing which one I like best but I'd likely just keep them both. I'd find a use for both of them.

That is always the danger! Order to several to 'test' and end up keeping them all, lol

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @G42 lol I know and I just did some spring cleaning so I can't bring more items that I may not use

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the Daylight Backpack make for a good packing cube?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderersaurus View Post
    Does the Daylight Backpack make for a good packing cube?
    It can be used as a packing cube, but it won't be a good packing cube. It's tapered design at the top means it wastes space (in most bags) compared to a more conventional rectangular packing cube. Also, the zipper doesn't go as far around on the main compartment, making it more difficult to actually pack. Finally, it will be quite a bit heavier and more structured than an actual packing cube. I imagine that if you go this route, the halcyon version would be better for this purpose. I love my DLBP, but I always just fold it up and stow it in the backpack straps of my Aeronaut when traveling.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tortyqueen, I'm 5'4 as well and I have both the DLBP (in halcyon) and the Luminary. Sounds like what you want to carry is fairly close to what I carry in my Luminary as an EDC. I don't put a sweater in there, but I do have a large 'mom wallet', water bottle, sunglasses case, passport sized Travellers Notebook, and a sz small TSS with ear buds, lotion, nail file. In the side pockets I can fit my iphone 6 easily in one side and a mini OP with lip balm, cuticle cream and lipstick in the other side pocket. With all this, I'd say the bag feels under packed, so a light sweater would easily fit. I find the top half of the bag is still empty without the sweater. The luminary is super easy to carry and I sometimes forget I have it on.

I usually use my DLBP as gym bag with just a towel, water bottle and a few odds and ends. It's very light and easy to carry. I did recently use it on a trip to Orlando and walked the parks with it all day in warm weather. I didn't find the straps to be painful at all. Some days I carried 4 vinyl adult sized ponchos and a water bottle. The pack was heavy, but it did the job. From the load you plan to carry, I think you might find the DLBP to lack organization. (perhaps a FS might help with this?) It would feel a bit cavernous it think. I found myself using a A30 side packing cubes to store the ponchos or sweater in order to decrease the amount of sliding around in the main compartment. I also used a bunch of OPs in the front zipper pocket because little things get lost. That being said, I loved the fact that the bag was folded up in my A45 and brought to Orlando as an extra bag.

Good luck in your decision. I'd be happy to post any photos if you want.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MJMEBLOM Thank you. I was concerned that the DLBP would essentially become just a big pocket that I have to dig around in to find something. I'm definitely going with the Luminary I'm just waiting for the Alphaviolet/Viridian to be in stock again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast