Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Yes, another "will this fit in that cache" question.

Folks,

I recently purchased a Stowaway bag, which I'm quite happy with. I would like to use its notebook compartment to carry my notebook within it, but I'm obviously going to need a sleeve of some sort, since there is no internal padding at all. I don't care about rings or rails or anything like that -- I just need a rather perfectly-fitting sleeve that will protect my notebook computer, yet still fit into the Stowaway's compartment.

OK, so here are the details: I have an HP Spectre 13 notebook. Does that help? I expect not, because HP has been naming just about every notebook they make with some form of the "Spectre" name. I guess this is the current one, but I'm not even sure of that anymore. What I can tell you is that it is just about exactly 12 inches wide, and 8-5/8 inches tall. Just a hair over 8.5 inches tall. Depth shouldn't be an issue -- this is a "thin and light" computer, so I expect that's no problem.

Looking at the cache dimensions, I'm absolutely, positively stumped. I have a sleeve that actually works quite well, but it was a cheap thing bought online, with cheap handles, and I'd just like something with a bit better quality, to say the least. But the thing is, it really, really fits. And its dimensions are 13-1/4 inches wide, and right around 9 inches tall. Though, I'm really splitting hairs here, as it's about a quarter of an inch longer and taller than those dimensions if I measure it without the notebook inside it.

OK, so let's look at the new cache dimensions. What utterly mystifies me are the differences I'm seeing between the interior and exterior dimensions. I'm looking at this page:

https://www.tombihn.com/pages/dimensions-specs

And looking at the "Cache" tab. I'm very much interested in the new Cache models, not the Pre-2018 ones. i.e., I want a zipper, not the fold-around closure. OK, so let's look at one dimension that looks like it would work:

The 13d (13" Macbook Pro Touchbar) has exterior dimensions that would probably work -- 13.39" x 9.53". But the interior dimensions are MORE THAN AN INCH SMALLER -- what's up with that?? Are the corners so rounded that they cut the interior dimensions down that much? Or is it more like what I mentioned above, how the exterior dimensions will decrease a bit once you put a notebook computer in the Cache?

Given the simple fact that the 13.39" x 9.53" dimensions are "right about the largest that could possibly be crammed into the Stowaway's computer pocket," I'm thinking in terms of just ordering one of the 13d Caches, and expecting that my notebook will very nearly "swim" inside it.

But, before just hauling off and doing that, I thought I'd ask in here, as I'm sure we've got plenty of folks who have been through this kind of thing with the Cache already. I would truly appreciate any sage words of advice any of you might be able to throw my way.

Thanks in advance for any help you can send me!

thoots

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thoots, considering your laptop's measurements, I would probably go with with the 13C.

To answer your other questions/concerns, the exterior dimensions are a bit larger than you might think because the Caches can actually fit some laptops that are somewhat bigger than the maximum interior dimensions as long as the laptop is rounded the right way -- the maximum interior dimensions are pretty much there for if your laptop is straight-up a box (like old-style Lenovo Thinkpads), they will fit in those dimensions. You might note that the measurements for, for example, the 13D are said to fit the new 13" Macbook Pro, yet the given dimensions are small for the Macbook Pro:

Apple's given dimensions for the 13" Macbook Pro are the following: 11.97 x 8.36 x 0.59
    Our given dimensions for the 13D Cache are the following: 11.97 x 8.11 x 1.00

If you went by the dimensions on our website it wouldn't fit but it demonstrably does and that's because the Macbook Pro isn't a box, it's rounded.

All that to say the following: your laptop might fit in the 13D, but it probably won't because it has a little too tall. I'd go for the bigger 13C, which should hold your laptop just fine and it's the largest size that fits into the Stowaway's laptop compartment.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matthew,

Thanks for your thoughts. The HP Spectre 13 that I have is quite oddly shaped -- like the Dell XPS notebooks with the very slim bezels around the screen, HP really slimmed down the bezels on the sides, though they left the top bezel more "full-size," as they continued to put a camera in that bezel. So, as you have mentioned, it is indeed a bit taller in proportion to its width than most other notebooks. But on the other hand, the 13c's height is over ten inches, which is really a bit too large to fit into the Stowaway's notebook compartment. I've got a half-dozen or more sleeves with ten-inch heights, and while I can barely stuff and cram those into the compartment, it's not easy, and not done without a substantial compression of the sleeve's height. And that's the conundrum I'm facing.

Thanks again!

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to help!

Hmm, we might have to revisit the exterior dimensions on our site, but in the meantime I went ahead and gave it a try myself, and here's my results: it's a tight fit, but it does fit. I have a Dell XPS13 in there, so you know:

Yes, another "will this fit in that cache" question.-stowaway-cache-1-jpg
    It doesn't need to deform to go in, and here's the tag to show it's the right one.

Yes, another "will this fit in that cache" question.-stowaway-cache-2-jpg
    Most of the way in, no deformation.

Yes, another "will this fit in that cache" question.-stowaway-cache-3-jpg
    It's a tight fit -- the zipper of the Cache sits right up next to the zipper of the Stowaway, but as long as you have the zipper tabs at the top, it will fit.

Yes, another "will this fit in that cache" question.-stowaway-cache-4-jpg
    A little under halfway closed; looks good.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matthew,

Thanks again -- the pictures certainly do help!