1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Effect Vs Side Kick: Does Double Organizer Pouch fit in the Side Effect?

Hello kind folks,

I am waffling between the Side Effect and the Side Kick as an insert for my Makers Bag and a smaller EDC option. I'd be thrilled for advice or answers to my questions:

1)Would the double organizer pouch, size small, fit inside the Side Effect?

2)Am I right in thinking that glasses in a hard case, a wallet, and a cellphone in an otterbox would be too big for the Side Effect, or too hard to access them conveniently because of the 2" width? I would also keep a small calendar, inhaler, transit pass,and ideally the double organizer pouch in the Side Effect.

3)How big are the pockets in the Side Effect?

The Side Effect is the fabric and size I prefer, but about a half inch narrower than I'd like. I'm confident I could still fit a light jacket under the Side Effect in the Makers Bag. Stowing layers is the main purpose off the Makers Bag for me. The Side Kick on the other hand has all the organization I could dream of.

Thanks,

Michelle

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the double organizer pouch as my wallet, because it's nice and flat and I can tether it to the inside of my "purse" with keystraps. I never accidentally leave my wallet behind because it's firmly attached to my cross body bag (SE or SK).

The pouch will fit tightly in the SE, but it fits. I prefer the SK because I don't like a bag stuffed full. I like to have some room. The only reason I keep the SE is because it fits perfectly in the front pockets of the Pilot. Also, if I'm going to walking around an art show or something like that, I want a smaller bag with minimal items (pouch and phone and keys).

It's hard to judge if your things will fit in a SE because my glasses cases run the gamut between very large, to medium size. Some people's wallets are what I would consider a clutch purse, and other peoples wallets are no more than the size of a couple of credit cards. Some people's phones are small and some large. And I don't know how much you plan of putting in the double organizer pouch. I keep my driver's license, one credit card, my insurance cards and a few dollars in my double organizer pouch.

I actually have a SE and SK in my favorite colors so I have a choice as to which size bag I need for the day or the trip.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-16-2018 at 06:31 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you might be able to fit your intended items in the Side Effect, it could be a tight fit, depending on how streamlined the items are. The Side Kick should definitely fit those, and it works great as a bag in bag in the Maker's Bag. If I have work travel meetings and fear it will be cool in the venue, I often pack a SK inside my MB along with a sweater, water bottle, etc, and the combination works great. While I prefer not to have to struggle to fit things in my 'break out' bag, other folks may like the smallest option available; it is whatever works best for each person's style.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much! I've decided to order them both and try them out.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small DOP fits very nicely inside the large inner pocket of the Side Kick. It's a bit cramped in the SE. I pack a large hard sunglasses case, phone, wallet, big battery pack, mini Q-Kit, and small DOP with a little room to spare in my SK.

The two inner pockets in the SE are just big enought to hold a iPhone 5s upright (height-wise) but doesn't fit my Samsung S7 (closer to the iPhone 8 size) unless I put it in the main compartment.