Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

flying with the internal frame?

Hello all! I finally got my s25 with the internal frame that I plan to use for my next travel to europe. I like the idea of the frame and so I really wish I could use it, especially when the bag will be fairly overpacked. My question is, has anyone passed the security checkpoint with the frame? Any trouble or asked to take it out? It contains a pretty large size aluminum bar, and I've never flown with a metal of that size. I don't want the hassle of unpacking just to get the frame out.

Forum Member
    On the shores of Lake Erie
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I flew Aer Lingus from Toronto to Dublin, then Stobart for Aer Lingus with s25/internal frame. Didnít even consider the metal bar. Nobody questioned my bag, no secondary inspection, no issues at all. That said, next time Iíll likely take the frame out. It kept me from being able to stuff the s25 under small seat long way. Had to do horizontally (no bar separating between seats so stole my daughters room too lol). Hey meant daughter had to put her bag up in bin. She wasnít pleased.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just flew domestically in the US, through BOS and ORD, with the frame in my S25 without any issues at all. I do know though, that every TSA agent is different and may flag certain things. When packing the main compartment I try to use packing cubes to keep everything contained. For this last trip I had two eagle creek compression cubes, my 311 bag, rolled up jeans, and my laptop. So even if I did have to unpack it it would be super quick and easy to show the internal frame and repack it. All of my loose items, or items in smaller bags, were in the external pockets.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken my bag through security in NYC, Dallas, Honolulu, Seoul, and Taipei and have had zero issues with the internal frame sheet.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since most suitcases have some sort of internal metal frame or handle, I would think the TSA agents would just assume it's part of the bag. Only we know it's removable.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter just took her S25 with frame through Atlanta, Seoul, and Taipei without any problems.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traveled by plane in January with an internal frame no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I though the same since the bar is removable. But I flew UK to Thailand in November and they didnít blink.

However, in Bangkok they did want to search my bag (they are hot on external USB power packs) and the disbelief on the agentís face of everything that came out of the S25!

I honestly think he was going to ask where it was all coming from. Such a Tardis of a bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues to and from Philadelphia airport multiple times.