Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see your concern, but it's a no-brainer to live with for me. No fuss at all. I'm an IT guy and my S25 is my office, so I "exercise" it many, many times a day. No fuss at all. The fact that I can move the cache to another bag or free up my edc for fun is part of the appeal. And with the S25's internal frame, a recent acquisition, it's even better.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes find it a pain as its basically a bag in a bag type of concept. Part of the problem may be that my 6Z cache fits my Lenovo T460S like a glove which is just a bit too tight. This means getting it in and out takes just a little bit of effort and two hands especially compared to my Timbuk2 Command Messenger where it simply slides in or out with one hand in the dedicated pocket. A larger cache that I leave open would probably make this easier but I don't believe the S19 supported anything bigger than the older 6Z. The TSA friendliness is of little interest to me as I'm TSA-Pre and easily 90%+ of my flights don't require the laptop to be removed.

The cache does add some flexibility as you can move the laptop around in a bag versus having it in a fixed location. In my WF, its usually sitting in the back section but I will sometimes move it to the front if I need more space for clothes and such. If you don't have a laptop, there is obviously no space wasted for a built in laptop area. From a TB perspective, they also don't need to design bags with laptop specific areas. The new caches are nice now that they support horizontal and vertical usage; wish I could convince myself to buy one. This flexibility is nice but does add cost especially if you are always traveling with laptop because you need to add a cache or something similar.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm of mixed opinion on the cache. I have one that just fits my Surface Book 2 15". When I grab my laptop to pull out, the entire cache also comes out, which then leaves me having to put the cache back into the bag. It would be nice if there was a way to lock down the cache for instances when I'm using my S25 outside of an airport. Maybe Tom Bihn should put an o ring in the bottom of the backpack and one at the bottom of the vertical cash so their customers can link the two with a carabiner.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Maybe Tom Bihn should put an o ring in the bottom of the backpack and one at the bottom of the vertical cash so their customers can link the two with a carabiner.
    Yes, exactly this.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that a pair of 1" Triangle Metal Hook: as used as a yarn guide in the Yarn Stuff Sacks or
    1-1/2" Triangle Metal Hook: as used on the front of the Brain Bag could be threaded on the straps of the Cache and clipped to the o-rings at the top of any TB Bags.

The convenience of those two Triangle Metal Hook is that they can be removed from vertical to horizontal strap re-orienting the Cache anchor points when one switch from a Backpack to a Tote.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-04-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though I have not tried it, maybe some sticky backed velcro attached to the bottom part of the Cache and the wall of the backpack may provide enough friction to keep the Cache in the bag but still be able to easily "tug" it and pull it out if doing a TSA check. i would not put too much, just one or two small squares and stick them to the webbing stripes. I get my velcro from office supply stores or Hardware stores.

Alternately, you could just clip something on the cache webbing just below where the gatekeepers clip on. The idea is that it will act like a door stopper keeping the webbing from travelling through the gatekeeper clip. Perhaps a paper clip or a spring clip might work and I have see other nicer looking gadgets that might work.

Another solution might be to put some fabric/extra webbing in where the cache webbing goes through the gatekeeper clips to "jam" it so the webbing cannot slide through the gatekeeper clip.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-05-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clipping a triangle hook to the rails probably doesnít do anything as the cache would still slide with the hooks. I donít think spring clips or velcro would be strong enough to really solve the problem unless the bag was minimally packed and therefore very light. This may require a really strong toothed alligator type clip but that could end up chewing up the straps over time.

An o ring in the middle of caches and the middle of bags has the added benefit of keeping caches compatible across different bag types. The o ring on the bag side may need to be attached to a very short strap to allow a carabiner some freedom of movement to prevent it binding and bashing into the cache.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the (old style) caches for laptops and ipads (both the big ipad pro and the 9-inch styles), in both horizontal and vertical versions. I obviously like them (and I'm excited for the new style so I'll need half as many caches for my next gadget!)

The change I'd like to see made is to have a little stitch a half inch or so down from the "top" part of the cache on the rails--letting you attach the clips to a shorter section when you're not traveling, for ease of removing the device one-handed without pulling the cache completely out of the bag. When traveling, the clips could be attached to the "long" section of the rails.
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only had the cache start to come out once or twice in 9 months of daily removal of my laptop. Based on the other comments, I don't know if this is because my computer is relatively thin or because, between the Freudian Slip and the straps on my BB, the cache is less likely to slide out on its own. On the other hand, I also haven't had any problems pulling it out for security screening at airports.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2