Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the cache a pain to use on a daily basis?

Iíve just about convinced myself to get a Synapse 25 as my do it all bag. I think the only thing Iím not sure about is the cache.

With a bag that has a built in sleeve, you can just reach in and pull your laptop out.

With the cache, it seems like itíd be just a bit harder to get your hand in the sleeve, and youíd need to use your other hand to hold the sleeve down while you pull the laptop out to keep the sleeve from coming with the laptop.

I know it seems like a small thing, but for around $250 with the cache, I donít want to be annoyed with my bag.

If you use the cache regularly, what has your experience been like with it?
    Is it as fussy to use as Iím picturing?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question. I am curious others answers too.

Iím a new member here, waiting for an S19 and S25 with cache to be delivered tomorrow. Plan for it to be my main work back (among other things), so Iím slightly concerned about your question as well. In my current cheapo messenger bag with a built in laptop compartment, like you said, itís one hand reach in and pull it out.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had zero issues with my caches, both the old fold-over version and the new zippered version. I mostly leave it a bit unzipped unless I'm actually traveling or if it's raining.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

around 53į
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít have the S19 or S25 but I do have the MB, LCB, MCB, and DLBC. I carry a 13 inch MacBook Pro in cache and am able to use each of my bags with ease.

I canít take the laptop out with one hand but it is not bothersome to do so with two. I like having the cache because then I donít have wasted space in the bag for when Iím out without my laptop.

Iíve also used just the cache, with no bag before.

After using a cache I donít see myself buying a bag with a built in laptop compartment anymore.

Using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Tom Bihn backpack but I use a Cache almost daily with a MacBook Pro as well. It offers a perfect amount of cushioning and protection yet keeps the shape of your bag sleek. I also occasionally carry the Cache by itself when going between meetings, but I would suggest being careful with the fold-over model if you do that (that's the model I have). For work, I use the Cache in a Daylight Briefcase in Halcyon. When I need to remove my laptop, I can sometimes do so with one hand, but I need to use the other hand to brace open the outer bag in order to slide the laptop out (so I guess it's with two hands overall). It's easy to remove the Cache from a larger bag for air travel scans (I use the Pilot for air travel). I think it's a great product.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that the cache gives me the ability to customize my bag for whatever the days carry requires. That being said, the cache for the Surface is VERY tight and definitely needs two hands to remove.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a cache to me is useful if I want to throw my laptop in a shop bag or something else. Yes, a padded compartment in a bag can be nice but I'd rather keep the S25 the way it is for when I don't need a laptop with me and take just an iPad. At that point a padded pocket isn't needed and takes up space.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a cache in my S19, and I don't think I could extract a laptop from it with one hand unless it was significantly smaller than the cache. Consensus seems to be if you can see yourself wanting to remove the cache sometimes to give yourself more space/flexibility, it's a great option. if you'll pretty much always use your Synapse as a laptop bag and you value the convenience of single-handed retrieval, maybe another solution would work better.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the texture of your laptop too. I have a smooth Chromebook that goes into the cache great. My Dell E7450 is a terrible fit because it has a grippy rubber type outer texture. They're the same size otherwise. I don't use my cache anymore because it would be too cumbersome to take out in a meeting, shimmying it up and out a half inch on each side at a time.

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I like that the cache gives me the ability to customize my bag for whatever the days carry requires. That being said, the cache for the Surface is VERY tight and definitely needs two hands to remove.
    Which size did you order for the surface? I am considering getting the new zippered cache for mine. Also, will it slide in the copilot with the cache?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Which size did you order for the surface? I am considering getting the new zippered cache for mine. Also, will it slide in the copilot with the cache?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Vertical Surface Pro w/keyboard

And it does fit in the CP!
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info. Since I’ll almost always carry a laptop, and won’t need the tiny bit of extra space if I don’t, I think a built in sleeve will work better. Now to see if I can find one with TB’s reputation for quality.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love using the Cache, both in a briefcase as well as in a backpack! I have used both the current iteration, which has the dual-orientation zipper, as well as the prior iteration where the top tucks inside.

My preference is for the prior iteration, just because I can open it and retrieve my MacBook or iPad with my eyes closed.

I could do the same with the current iteration with even greater ease if I chose to pack it with the zipper unzipped (which I don't). I recall a friend made this mistake, carrying his 17" PowerBook in an unzipped Monolith (vertically oriented predecessor to the Vertical Brain Cell, at a time when the Brain Cell was offered only in a horizontal orientation). When he unzipped the Brain Bag, the bag was tilted down enough that the PowerBook went sliding out of the Monolith. I felt so awful, because I had shared that that is often how I used the Monolith, leaving it unzipped.

I wouldn't carry my MacBook without the Cache. But please, with the Cache zipped closed!
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I absolutely love using the Cache, both in a briefcase as well as in a backpack! I have used both the current iteration, which has the dual-orientation zipper, as well as the prior iteration where the top tucks inside.

My preference is for the prior iteration, just because I can open it and retrieve my MacBook or iPad with my eyes closed.

I could do the same with the current iteration with even greater ease if I chose to pack it with the zipper unzipped (which I don't). I recall a friend made this mistake, carrying his 17" PowerBook in an unzipped Monolith (vertically oriented predecessor to the Vertical Brain Cell, at a time when the Brain Cell was offered only in a horizontal orientation). When he unzipped the Brain Bag, the bag was tilted down enough that the PowerBook went sliding out of the Monolith. I felt so awful, because I had shared that that is often how I used the Monolith, leaving it unzipped.

I wouldn't carry my MacBook without the Cache. But please, with the Cache zipped closed!
    This is a me, too, reply. I know that the new cache design works in both horizontal and vertical orientations, but I think the prior version is slightly more tolerant to less exact fits of laptop to cache. Also, I have favorite versions of everything (Clear Urethane, straps, etc.) and that includes the material used in the cache -- where my favorite cache material is the denser foam that was in use about the time that the original Cadet debuted. So, I still use versions of the cache with that foam, even without the rails. Just my preferences; YMMV.

moriond

moriond

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    This is a me, too, reply. I know that the new cache design works in both horizontal and vertical orientations, but I think the prior version is slightly more tolerant to less exact fits of laptop to cache. Also, I have favorite versions of everything (Clear Urethane, straps, etc.) and that includes the material used in the cache -- where my favorite cache material is the denser foam that was in use about the time that the original Cadet debuted. So, I still use versions of the cache with that foam, even without the rails. Just my preferences; YMMV.

moriond

moriond
    Interesting, why do you find the older style of cache more flexible in terms of accommodating different laptops? Is it less rounded? Wondering because I have a zippered cache, and I do sometimes find I have trouble putting my 13" pc back into it when I use it horizontally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast