Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For us who carry Laptop in your Synapse inner pocket/sleeve without the cache...

Hello all!

I got my Synapse 25 recently, and decided that my laptop (Thinkpad for work), which has an extra battery attached to it so it has added "width" to it, just doesn't fit well in the cache's. It could work, but it's far from a perfect fit.

My plan is to just use the inner pocket for my laptop, and I see no safety concerns, personally. The only place I can see that a little extra padding would be nice is at the bottom, but the top, sides, etc, of the laptop should be very very well protected by the bag (in my opinion).

Does anyone stick something soft for extra padding down at the bottom of that pocket? I put a dishcloth in the bottom for now. But I'm curious if anyone else has any good recommendations?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I know that I'll be in control of my pack, I usually just stick a piece of (small bubble) bubble wrap under the edge of my laptop when I can't be bothered with a case. Cushioning comes from adding air pockets, so this would probably work a bit better than a towel, but depends on how hard you are on your stuff.

Most of the opportunity for damage in my own normal handling is putting the pack down too hard. So I take a piece of bubble folded over a few times and put the laptop on that... I fold it wide enough so it extends up the side of the laptop a few inched on each side...so it's a little 'c' shaped pocked basically - YMMV.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    If I know that I'll be in control of my pack, I usually just stick a piece of (small bubble) bubble wrap under the edge of my laptop when I can't be bothered with a case. Cushioning comes from adding air pockets, so this would probably work a bit better than a towel, but depends on how hard you are on your stuff.

Most of the opportunity for damage in my own normal handling is putting the pack down too hard. So I take a piece of bubble folded over a few times and put the laptop on that... I fold it wide enough so it extends up the side of the laptop a few inched on each side...so it's a little 'c' shaped pocked basically - YMMV.
    That's a good idea. I could possibly even "tape" it to the Halcyon fabric to keep that "C" or "U" shape solid, so the bubble wrap doesn't move around...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheuptick View Post
    That's a good idea. I could possibly even "tape" it to the Halcyon fabric to keep that "C" or "U" shape solid, so the bubble wrap doesn't move around...
    Or take a clean paperboard cereal box, a corrugated box, or similar.... and cut a rectangle out... use a ruler (hold firmly) bend the paper/corrugate in two locations to make a 'U' or 'C' shape...tape the bubble inside of that...

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry my 14" Lenovo x1 Yoga laptop in the main compartment pocket. I put it in the Thule 13" Case that fits it.
    However, if I were to put my laptop in bare, I might invest in some corrugated plastic from the hardware or arts store. I would bend it into that "U" shape that @G42 suggests to make a tougher cereal box Smilie. This is what was in the now retired Brain Cell. I would add some foam at the bottom and maybe a foam strip at the top in case the top of your bag hit the floor. For foam, there is good chair foam at fabric stores or you could use some foam weather stripping. Also, putting some wall foam insulation (from hardware store) at the bottom would help with preventing damage if the bag falls to ground.

Hope this helps
    CHeers!
    P.S. - What size of laptop do you have?
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walmart sells a blue foam pad for cheap made as a sleeping pad for camping and I use this cut to fit to protect all sorts of electronics in bags all over the place.
    This foam is easily cut and even 1/2 scored to fold as needed and then I use duct tape to create custom "Envelope"s for protection as needed too.
    I think it is $7 for a sheet long enough to sleep on so it goes a long way!
    Not too thick but very protective for sure.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)