Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Measurement of WF pockets

Pardon the interruption, but I need a favor. Here's my situation...Ive lurked on here for a long time, was debating a TS for awhile, but have decided to step down to a WF. I picked up a Porta ballistic bag while in Peru last year and its a tank when it comes to carrying bulk items and heavy clothes. So i came to realization that a WF will work wonders as a personal item carried in tandem with my other big bag being the checked bag. Now. Heres the fun part... Picking out the accessories!!!

Sooo here's the favor I need.....What dimensions are the two little pockets and also the water bottle pocket? I'm trying to figure out cubes and organizers for all my little things. Please and thank you!
    Nick

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two little pockets run almost the full height of the bag. Even the smaller one actually has half its space above the zipper. However those two pockets are VERY flat. I only used them for paper items like my travel itinerary and my boarding passes, and my keys (I only carry two keys).

I know other people manage to stuff all sorts of things in those pockets.

I apologize, I don't have a WF in front of me to actually measure the pockets.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 05-03-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to just use the Western Flyer cube sizes as a good proxy

The large is 17.5 x 11.8 x 3.1
    The small (two fit per major compartment) is 8.7 x 11.8 x 3.1

EDIT: my bad, missed that you wanted the 'little' pockets

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once used the large pocket for a large powerbank, Kindle Paperwhite, and USB cables, but with the bag fully packed it is a tight fit to slide them in. I wouldn't use the clear pouches in them, the interior dyneema sticks to the plastic and makes it nearly impossible to pull them out.

Now I keep a small powerbank, USB cables, mouse, and wired headpnones in a 3D mesh cube on a long keystrap in the large pocket. Great for inflight organization. I usually leave the small pocket free for loose paper like receipts or business cards I collect.

Forum Member
    Kansas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Bweaves said, those pockets are best for things that are pretty flat. I have the Tri-star, not the Western Flyer, but I think what you could use them for would be similar. I usually put a folded shop bag in the tallest pocket, then I put spare supplies like pocket Kleenex in the other(s). I've also put in a smushed down travel tray. It's a great place to put spare change and keys before you go through security. I think I've managed to squeeze a not too full 3D cube into the water bottle pocket, as well as a travel curling iron. That pocket has snaps to hold the bottle in that make it hard to utilize for anything too wide. I have found that what I pack there tends to bulk out the bag instead of stealing room from the interior; YMMV.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the replies so far. What I'm thinking for the pockets is a 311 style bag for the water bottle pocket and a organizer pouch for one of the flat pockets to carry light office supplies such a pens and sticky pads....

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, the left 2 pockets are really only designed to handle relatively thin and flat items and those are somewhat dependent on how much you pack in the front area as they all consume space from each other. I typically have notebook, phone, business cards, business receipts, maybe some mints, etc. As for the right water bottle pocket, it almost never carries a water bottle but usually has a small umbrella and an external battery pack with cable. I believe folks have stated you can put in a not overstuffed 3DOC there also but its a tight squeeze.

Personally I wished those pockets were L or even 1 big U zip with some pen slots and such organization like in the cadet.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the WF front pocket max dimensions:

Bottom Front Pocket - 10" wide by 8.5" tall (the top of the pocket goes above the zipper for it)
    Top Front Pocket - 10" wide by 10" tall
    Waterbottle Pocket - 7" wide by 10" tall and can expand about 4" out at the centre to fit a waterbottle.

As mentioned above, the 2 Front Pocket are really only for items 0.5"-1" thick. Anymore and the pocket will bulge out.
    Though I have never tried it, your description of what you want in your pockets should work ok - 311 bag in the waterbottle pocket and organizer pouch for the horizontal zip pockets.

I have fit 2 Lenovo power supplies in the waterbottle pocket with no trouble and I put several small organizer pouches in the zip pockets without problem.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks TPNL! Thats exactly what I was looking for!!

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NParker View Post
    Appreciate the replies so far. What I'm thinking for the pockets is a 311 style bag for the water bottle pocket and a organizer pouch for one of the flat pockets to carry light office supplies such a pens and sticky pads....
    I tried to carry the 3D Clear cube as a 3-1-1 bag in the water bottle pocket in the pre-precheck days, but with the WF packed full, it was really hard to get it in and out. You really have to pry the pocket open due to the friction of the dyneema. Highly not recommended.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I tried to carry the 3D Clear cube as a 3-1-1 bag in the water bottle pocket in the pre-precheck days, but with the WF packed full, it was really hard to get it in and out. You really have to pry the pocket open due to the friction of the dyneema. Highly not recommended.
    If you're TSA precheck, you could probably use a size 1 TSS in the water bottle pocket and just keep a backup quart ziplock tucked inside for those times when they require extra inspection.
    I went Global Entry/TSA Pre-check 3 years or so ago and haven't had to pull out my toiletry bag (domestically) since then...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    If you're TSA precheck, you could probably use a size 1 TSS in the water bottle pocket and just keep a backup quart ziplock tucked inside for those times when they require extra inspection.
    I went Global Entry/TSA Pre-check 3 years or so ago and haven't had to pull out my toiletry bag (domestically) since then...
    I am pre check. (Thank goodness..haha) thanks for the tip tho. Was looking at those grab bags too

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One note on the measurements - they are max dimensions for my bag and could be IMHO +/- 1/4" due to the handmade nature of the bags.
    Also, as you put thicker things in, it will stretch the pocket in other directions and make the max dimensions I posted a little less (as normally occurs with any pocket - not just TB). This is one of the reasons people buy the Halycon versions as it allows more flexibility to stretch.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-05-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't recommend a 3D Clear Cube in the waterbottle pocket either. To be honest, I haven't been able to fit anything in that pocket successfully. It might be good for a scarf or gloves.

I wish the pockets in front were a bit more like the Pilot, with a bit of depth to them.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Still, the clear plastic TB uses is like glue to the dyneema. I have only found other dyneema, basllistic, and mesh to work in the front pockets. The price of PVC-free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast