Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Melbourne, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stowaway and MacBook Pro 15” fit

Hi. Can someone who has the Stowaway let me know if a MacBook Pro 15” would fit? I have had the Pilot in Dyneema for years and that fits the MacBook Pro 15” (even the older pre-retina models) despite it not stating it can. I love the Pilot but the single strap is stuffing up my back. I don’t want another backpack because when I get on the flight, I have my A45 on my back and the Pilot in the front. Because I wear a dark or black top, they don’t often notice I am wearing the A45 on my back. The Pilot is a good distraction. I want to be able to use the same bag but in backpack mode when I am running around town once I get to the destination. Your help appreciated. Cheers.

Forum Member
    Melbourne, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one knows? No one have MBP15”?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a MBP15, just no Stowaway. Sorry!

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey SWANK-E -- in most cases the answer is "no" and in the best case scenario of a 2017 or 2018 15" Macbook Pro, the answer is "maybe without any case, but probably not." I don't have a 15" Macbook Pro to test with but the measurements are close enough that it could possibly fit under specific circumstances, but it probably won't.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SWANK-E View Post
    Hi. Can someone who has the Stowaway let me know if a MacBook Pro 15” would fit? I have had the Pilot in Dyneema for years and that fits the MacBook Pro 15” (even the older pre-retina models) despite it not stating it can. I love the Pilot but the single strap is stuffing up my back. I don’t want another backpack because when I get on the flight, I have my A45 on my back and the Pilot in the front. Because I wear a dark or black top, they don’t often notice I am wearing the A45 on my back. The Pilot is a good distraction. I want to be able to use the same bag but in backpack mode when I am running around town once I get to the destination. Your help appreciated. Cheers.
    I'm hoping that @maverick (who has or had a 15" MacBook Pro -- but I think he's now using the smaller Touchbar model of the 15" rMBP now -- and has a Stowaway), or @tpnl, who also has a Stowaway, can answer your question, but I believe that the current model of the Stowaway will not hold your laptop, based on @tpnl's comments in the Stowaway interior dimensions? thread:

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I measured my Stowaway and all three compartments are about 1.75" thick. I would also estimate that they could stretch a bit as it is fabric to just under 2". As for the other dimensions, each compartment is 13" wide by 10" high.

Cheers!
    There is also a good review that @Perseffect did recently in the Stowaway - The Mini Tristar thread that gives more details about this bag (but not specifically about 15" laptops)

That said, I believe they are working on a larger version of the Stowaway, but I don't know whether this would debut any time soon.

As another possibility, have you thought of carrying your Pilot with the Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap? (Q-AM strap). @tpnl first posted this solution in the Q-AM (Quick-Adjust Messenger) strap thread back in 2015.

I'll excerpt a few pictures:

In use, you can cinch it higher up if that is how you want it. This is my preferred way to wear my Pilot - it is so comfortable! YMMV but loosening and tightening is easy for me - once you understand how any messenger strap works. Essentially, to loosen the strap, just pull up on the end of the middle buckle with one hand. To tighten, just pull on the loose strap end. If your bag is heavy, you may also need to support the bag with your other hand to make it easier to tighten. This is how all the other messenger straps work that I know of. They may show one-handed tightening, but, IMHO it would only be doable for a lightly loaded bag.
    The front of the Q-AM strap (not shown in these pictures) is a long, padded strap, so weight gets distributed throughout. If it's set so that you carry the bag high on your back, the weight falls more on your back than on your shoulder. Although these are not currently listed on the Web Site, since the retirement of larger messenger bags capable of carrying 15" (and 17") laptops like the ID, Ego, and Super Ego, there are still at least two dozen of these available for sale if you contact them directly.

I should state that while I've tried this with the Pilot, the success of this solution may depend on your height. I'm just under 5' 4", and while I use the Q-AM strap with other bags (Imago, ID Bag, Ego, and original version of the Parental Unit), I have to do too much fiddling with the exact length and placement of the Q-AM strap for this to work well for my height or, I suspect, anyone else who is short and with a petite build.

Maybe @tpnl can comment?

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry -- I have the Stowaway, but I no longer have a 15" MacBook Pro -- just a 12" MacBook.
    -m