Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Why do you need such a large First Aid Kit, to the point where you're actually taking two of them? This sounds like a trip in urban settings. Unless there is an adventure/camping element, I would leave all but a few bandages and Neosporin at home.

I know you said you weren't going to scale back the first aid kit because they weren't your kids, but any injury or ailment that couldn't be handled by a bandaid/sachet of burn gel/neosporin/Tylenol should be seen by a doctor, *especially* if they aren't your kids.

Familiarize yourself with the logistics of French medical services for foreigners, and print a list of key emergency first aid vocabulary words. Familiarize yourself with French names/brands of common OTC meds or pack lipstick sized travel sizes of same.

I hope you have a wonderful time. What time of year are you traveling?
    My previous reply got lost in the ether, so I’ll try again. I used to take kids on work camp trips and camping trips to the edge of wilderness areas usually 3 or more hours by car to a town for medical care, so I guess I was falling back on my being over-prepared. Thanks for the reality check. I have gotten things pared back to the Bihn first aid kit with enough of everything to get someone through a day before needing to go into the city to the pharmacy. I have complete confidence in the French medical system - I just want to be able to keep someone comfortable until we can get to a pharmacy, doctor, dentist, etc.

We’re staying on the edge of Toulouse near the Cité de l’espace, where the conference is being held, and it appears that we will have to find a ride when we need something. The website does show a shuttle to the city center in the summer months, which may make things much easier. I will keep you all posted about the trip. Thanks again for the good advice.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsobooks View Post
    My previous reply got lost in the ether, so I’ll try again. I used to take kids on work camp trips and camping trips to the edge of wilderness areas usually 3 or more hours by car to a town for medical care, so I guess I was falling back on my being over-prepared. Thanks for the reality check. I have gotten things pared back to the Bihn first aid kit with enough of everything to get someone through a day before needing to go into the city to the pharmacy. I have complete confidence in the French medical system - I just want to be able to keep someone comfortable until we can get to a pharmacy, doctor, dentist, etc.

We’re staying on the edge of Toulouse near the Cité de l’espace, where the conference is being held, and it appears that we will have to find a ride when we need something. The website does show a shuttle to the city center in the summer months, which may make things much easier. I will keep you all posted about the trip. Thanks again for the good advice.
    Ah that makes sense now. Good luck, I hope you have a fabulous time!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update - leaving in 2 weeks. The WF I got on eBay has just a messenger type strap instead of backpack straps, which I didn’t know when I bought it - ironically, I can carry it this wayCool Also, I just packed it for the trip, and at 15.5 lbs, I can get everything I need for 10 days of vacationing in the summer in France in it - yay! We’ll redistribute things for the actual trip, but it is nice to know that it can be done.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update - leaving in 2 weeks. The WF I got on eBay has just a messenger type strap instead of backpack straps, which I didn’t know when I bought it - ironically, I can carry it this wayCool Also, I just packed it for the trip, and at 15.5 lbs, I can get everything I need for 10 days of vacationing in the summer in France in it - yay! We’ll redistribute things for the actual trip, but it is nice to know that it can be done.
    I think I saw that one - didn't know there was yet another older version of the WF without the pass through, but with a single cross-body strap!

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonne Voyage!

Ask your conference organizers about transport. They may organize a shuttle, and if not, will tell you all about public transport, which tends to be very good in France. And you might even be able to snag a ride with someone local, a great chance to learn about the city.

Have fun!

France
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am based in Toulouse so perhaps can help.

Cite de l’Espace is a little distance out of city centre. There is a shuttle bus that runs from city centre, details are on Cite de l’Espace website and I would have thought that your conference organisers could help provide details. But depending on what time you arrive and exactly where you are staying (I think an earlier post said it was “near” Cite de l’Espace) it may be simpler to take and accept cost of a couple of taxis for that first arrival. Once at your hotel or conference you are sure to quickly work out suitable bus and metro links to get around. The Toulouse transport network is pretty good and reasonably priced, if you are connecting between busses, metro or tram you need to validate your ticket or pass each time but you only pay once for the full journey.

Your other concern about medications seems well answered, there are pharmacies everywhere with 24/7 rota which will help with normal minor ailments. Hopefully nothing more serious occurs, but the SAMU ambulance service and hospital emergency are excellent. Of course do make sure you all have adequate medical insurance cover.

Enjoy, Toulouse is a great city. Hopefully in another week or so it will be normal hot sunny weather we expect, sadly past month has been very rainy.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, my dear husband did not get TGV tickets when he got the airline tickets. Is it better to purchase them now, 3 days before leaving, or when we arrive. Also, it looks like we should take some form of transportation to the Gare Montparnasse in Paris. Any suggestions on how best to get there?

Finally, a Paris tourist question - is it worth it to buy the museum pass for the 2 days we will be there? Does it help when many places seem to be sold out?

Thanks all, again!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason, my dear husband did not get TGV tickets when he got the airline tickets. Is it better to purchase them now, 3 days before leaving, or when we arrive. Also, it looks like we should take some form of transportation to the Gare Montparnasse in Paris. Any suggestions on how best to get there?

Finally, a Paris tourist question - is it worth it to buy the museum pass for the 2 days we will be there? Does it help when many places seem to be sold out?

Thanks all, again!
    I'm just going to tag @melhoune since that might increase your chances of a knowledgeable reply. Smilie

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are hoping to use public transportation as much as possible and maybe Uber(??) if we need to get around Toulouse. Unfortunately, the metro doesn't go to Cite de l'espace, which is where the conference is being held and near where we are staying.

In Paris, the plan is to use the Metro to get around. We have reservations in the Latin Quarter - so near many sites of interest and the Metro to get to the others.
    When we were in paris last year, i found google maps indispensable. It can direct you to the closest correct metro station and tell you the correct stop. Our trip would've seriously been destroyed without it.

I don't know which attractions you plan to see, but the lines avoided by having a museum pass make it definitely worthwhile!
    Last edited by ThomGault; 06-26-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks all, again!
    Hi @lotsobooks,

If you are going directly from the Airport (CDG) to the Gare Montparnasse to catch your train, then the easiest way to get there is to take "Le Bus Direct" (until last year this used to be called the Air France Coach ("Les Cars AirFrance"), specifically coach number 4.)

https://www.lebusdirect.com/en/lines...asse-line.html

Line 4 - From Roissy CDG to Paris Montparnasse runs directly from any of the terminals at CDG to Paris' two main train stations, Gare de Lyon and Gare Montparnasse, and will load your luggage directly under the bus. It takes about 75 minutes (can depend on traffic).

If you want to use public transportation, you're going to have to take the RER B line to Denfert-Rochereau and then change to a different subway line. (The RER lines are integrated with the Métro, but it means that you can take a direct train into Paris from the Airport; I generally stay at a hotel near an RER line station, like the Luxembourg Gardens stop on the RER B line, which is close to the Quartier Latin, but which goes directly to the Airport).

I'll paste in the instructions from a Stack Exchange web page:https://travel.stackexchange.com/que...e-montparnasse

Note that the subway lines 4 and 6 referenced here are different from the line number 4 of "Le Bus Direct"

I'm quoting this, because I vaguely remember that you do end up at the far end of the platform from where you get the trains at the Gare Montparnasse if you simply follow any subway line routing to get to the station (i.e., the advice of which lines are better to transfer to). But someone who lives in Paris or has done this more recently can tell you more exactly.
    Your best bet using Paris transportation system :

Reach the station located in terminal 2.

Buy your ticket to Paris at the green machine if you have coins or a chip-and-pin credit card. Else you have to queue at the "regional" ticket booth, not the "grandes lignes" which is for long distance high-speed trains. A ticket to Paris is good for any destination inside Paris, including metro lines.

Take the RER B at the dedicated platforms. Although there are several branches and express/local services, all trains serve all stops inside Paris. Therefore you can board the first one available.

The train stops at several stations inside Paris. Get off at Denfert-Rochereau.

Using the same ticket, transfer to the metro line 6. Follow the "Etoile" direction (westbound). Get off at Montparnasse-Bienvenue 3 stops later.

Follow the "Grandes lignes" directions to reach the Montparnasse train station. After you pass through the exit gates, take the sideways escalators up to get to the long-distance lines; or those in front of you to reach the commuter platforms.

Do not use line 4 for this trip, if possible. Line 4 serves Montparnasse and Denfert-Rochereau too, but its platforms are at the far end of the metro station; it would require you passing through several flights of stairs and the locally famous moving walkways for 6 minutes of walk at least and stays rather impractical when carrying luggage. In contrast, line 6 platforms are the closest to the train station.

Sometimes, when getting off the last evening TGV, you can see people running really fast while hauling their luggage through the metro station although it is 1am, since they hope to get the last line 4 train. By the time they reach the platforms, it is common that the last train just went off!
    Another comment: you should be able to buy your TGV (or any rail) tickets at the same terminal location described for getting into Paris from CDG via the RER. And as long as you are using a credit card with a Chip, which may now be standard in the US, you can purchase tickets from the machines as well as from a window.

I would take the bus to the Gare Montparnasse if you are going there from CDG directly upon arrival, because it's a lot less hassle the first time you're there, but the public transportation route is an option if you want to save money.

I liked Touliuse at lot -- the center of the City had a really high density of bookstores! Have a great time

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-26-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: corrected time estimate for bus trip

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @lotsobooks,

I liked Touliuse at lot -- the center of the City had a really high density of bookstores! Have a great time

HTH

moriond
    Thank you so much! And, I love books - can't read much in French, but bookstores are always fun regardlessSmilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much! And, I love books - can't read much in French, but bookstores are always fun regardlessSmilie
    I also wanted to point you to the Paris tips? thread. There were some nice tips by @Fabrice about buying museum tickets (and the FNAC stores are everywhere if you don't buy tickets directly on line). A lot of those suggestions are for good places to visit that are less crowded. I like la Sainte-Chapelle and the Musée de Cluny, too. The big museums can get very crowded in summer time.

I looked up the prices for "Le Bus Direct", and it does cost more, so you might just want to take public transportation, which may be faster (the bus stops first at the Gare de Lyon to discharge/pick up passengers). It should run, however, even during periods of rail strikes.

Here's the recent discussion on the relative costs of travel between CDG and the Gare Montparnasse on the Rick Steves forum

I think there are discounts for purchasing train tickets on line in advance -- certainly if you buy them a month in advance -- but I don't know whether there are significant advantages to buying them now.

You probably don't have a lot of time to explore the area around Toulouse for historical context (and this is now also a center for French aerospace), but you might like to read up on the old Pilgrimage routes (The Way of St. James -- to Santiago de Compostela), or maybe the history of the Cathares.

Have a great time!

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 30 hours of travel and 1 pickpocket, we made it to Toulouse with all 7 of us intact and about $100 lost to the pickpocket - see Paris Tips for the story. My new-to-me Western Flyer worked like a champ for carry on for my husband and me.

My Small Cafe Bag also performed perfectly with all of the organizer pouches connected to the bag, it was impossible to lose anything - especially at the 25 to 30 hour parts of the trip when we were all tired. Small hacks to SCB allowed me to attach water bottles on outside of it. Also, carabiners attached to inside at top allowed me to hang it from seat back pocket on plane - inspiration came from:

Pictures not loading right now while on train ?? - will upload later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2