Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lunch bag/box option

Hello,

I recently joined the Tom Bihn tribe with the purchase of the Pilot. However, I am also in need of an lunch box/bag for work and wanted to see what the community has come up with as a solution. I was looking at the 3D Organizer Cube as an option, but I am unsure if it will fit in the Pilot. I didn't see an official Tom Bihn lunch box/bag option, so I apologize if this problem has already been solved and I missed it.

Thank you for any help or thoughts you provide.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    The 3D organizer cube will fit in the Pilot, but it may not fit your lunch! Or is that just me? I usually have a Mason-jar of something...
    What items do you usually pack (i.e., Tupperware of leftovers, sandwich, etc.?), and do you prefer to fit something in one of the front pockets of the Pilot -- or could it be a separate bag?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    RDU Northern Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, we need to know what's for lunch!

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually take a sandwich, trailmix, 1 - 2 pieces of fruit and a snack bar of some sort, normally I put the sandwich in a container (Tupperware) and everything else just goes directly in the bag. Ideally, the lunch bag/box would go in the Pilot, but I am not opposed to using a second bag if I could attach it to my primary bag (Pilot) somehow.

Thank you for all your help/advice.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brazii View Post
    I usually take a sandwich, trailmix, 1 - 2 pieces of fruit and a snack bar of some sort, normally I put the sandwich in a container (Tupperware) and everything else just goes directly in the bag. Ideally, the lunch bag/box would go in the Pilot, but I am not opposed to using a second bag if I could attach it to my primary bag (Pilot) somehow.

Thank you for all your help/advice.
    You couldn't fit all of that in a 3DOC. In order to recommend something, it would help to know a bit more.

Do you use the same Tupperware every time? What size is it? What do you want the lunch bag to do? Do you just want it to let you carry your lunch easily to where you'll eat it or do you want to be able to toss in some napkins or a drink? You said attach it to the Pilot, do you mean on the outside? Do you need it to fit in the small front pockets of the Pilot or is the main compartment ok?

A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag might work depending on the answers to the above, and you could attach a strap and carry it separately when needed.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I usually use the same Tupperware. It is roughly 5.25" W x 8" L x 2.25" D. I just need it to carry my food (no drink or napkins). I am not opposed to attaching it to the outside of the Pilot as long as it is secured well (meaning minimal movement/dangling). Having the lunch bag in the Pilot main compartment would work, but I also need to fit my laptop in there too (13 in MBP). My first choice would be to have the lunch bag fit into one of the small front pockets. I will check out the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you can separate your Tupperware container and the rest of your lunch in different compartments in the Pilot. The fruit and other items could go in a travel stuff sack.

I use a large Travel Tray for my lunch (two thin, square cold packs, yogurt, fruit, spoon) and I've used it in lots of different TB bags including the Pilot. I don't carry a laptop so I used the back compartment.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the Large Travel Tray might work. I appreciate everyone's help with this!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brazii, do you have your Pilot already? From a quick measurement of mine, it seems like the Tupperware would fit well in the front pocket. If it's a dry sandwich inside, it's hard to see that you will need any other container, but a stuff sack would also work, as well as a Ziploc bag (which can be re-used). You can probably fit the fruit in the same pocket as well. For me, if it's a banana or orange, I don't always need a secondary container, though obviously for more delicate fruits you do.

Happy commuting!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 05-20-2018 at 12:50 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have received the Pilot (I live in Seattle so the wait time for shipping was one day). I will take a gander at the Stuff Sack and see if that will work too.

Thank you!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies for reviving this thread!

Similar question to OP.. do you think a PCSB would make a solid food/lunch bag? I typically carry a glass meal prep container (roughly 6" x 6 x 2), 17oz mason jar & a piece of fruit/protein bar.

Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lunch bag/box option-img_4663-jpg

Here's my original Nordic PCSB kitted out with similar items. I didn't have a container the same size, but that tea box is 6x4x2. You can see from the tape measure that there's enough room for another couple inches so your container should fit. The jar is a liter size Mason jar so twice the size of yours-it fits vertically with room to spare and no strain on the zipper. Another item or two would fit fine and there's always the front pocket too.

Forum Member
    Pollock Pines, CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An stuff sack 3 makes a great lunchbag for me. It holds quite a bit, 3D items are no problem and surprisingly the halcyon provides some insulation (4 hours later my yogurt is still cool). And folds or rolls up to nothing when I'm done. It's perfect.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post

Here's my original Nordic PCSB kitted out with similar items. I didn't have a container the same size, but that tea box is 6x4x2. You can see from the tape measure that there's enough room for another couple inches so your container should fit. The jar is a liter size Mason jar so twice the size of yours-it fits vertically with room to spare and no strain on the zipper. Another item or two would fit fine and there's always the front pocket too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverdaughter View Post
    An stuff sack 3 makes a great lunchbag for me. It holds quite a bit, 3D items are no problem and surprisingly the halcyon provides some insulation (4 hours later my yogurt is still cool). And folds or rolls up to nothing when I'm done. It's perfect.
    Thank you both! That picture of the PCSB is very helpful & gives me a good idea of what I'd be looking at with my stuff.

Also, thanks for the stuff sack suggestion. I'll be looking into that as well!