Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
    Between the two of us with our different use cases, we probably gave the OP quite a bit of help in deciding (or maybe made things worse, but nah, we did a good job explaining why we prefer what we prefer).
    Ballistic or Halcyon for S25... I need your input to make a better choice!
    Love the forum for the chance to hear all sides when trying to make a decision. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your input!

I've decided to practice patience. Ordering from my home country adds just too much VAT and postage ($200 becomes $300+) for my budget currently. I'm eying the European Ebay's for a new or second-hand one. And I'm putting my ear on the ground for friends traveling back from the US.

But that seems to be a long shot Frown

I'd feel really lucky if there was a S25 available closer to home!

Forum Member
    Philippines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
    Have you heard the saying "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain?"

Weight matters a lot to me and my compadres, considering that we wear our bags all day stuffed full with trade show catalogs. We're talking 8 hours straight, walking up and down rows. Even 3oz (68g = 2.3oz) difference matters when my shoulders are aching and the catalogs are poking me in the back. My buddy has got it worse--he's the photographer with multiple heavy bags to carry. We're both constantly shaving as much weight as we can from our load-outs.
    The other thing to consider about the weight of the bag is airline travel. I live and travel frequently in Southeast Asia. Budget airlines here limit your carry on by weight, not just size. The max is 7kg for most airlines. I believe the same is true in Europe as well? I own a S25 in ballistic that I use all the time for one bag, carry on only travel. I love it, but I do sometimes fantasize about buying one in Halcyon and saving those sweet sweet ounces. I have resisted temptation so far though.

Forum Member
    NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an S25 in black Halcyon. It was in daily use for about a year, and now just sees occasional use. I debated halcyon vs. ballistic, went for the halcyon, and have no regrets.

That said, I'm generally a fan of ballistic for the larger bags, and that is even more true now. My halcyon bag (it's the new halcyon, with the grey-black grid) has a tendency to look dingy from temporary scratches, etc -- it's no big deal, I can wipe it off, but my ballistic bags are more maintenance-free that way. I don't have this problem with my original black (black-white grid) halcyon daylight backpack or my shop bags though -- so it may have something to do with the environment the backpack was in.

Because of the S25's design it holds its shape much better than I would have expected when underpacked.

I like the black halcyon for the S25. It's subtly distinctive, and when I want through a period of back problems, I could make that bag very, very light. In a bag with so many small pockets, I appreciate the extra "give".

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm probably not going to be much help, because I love both. I have severe back and neck problems from a car accident a decade ago. It makes my bag choices even more limited. I have a halcyon 25 that I love for light duty edc (gym, local travel, short hikes) because the weight difference and the flexibility of the fabric works with awkward shapes. My ballastic 25 is for traveling when I need durability and strength, or for my books and notebooks which don't sit well in the halcyon. I love both, but I do tend to use my ballastic more (very little upkeep is a perk).
    Aubergine/steel MB, Aubergine/wasabi pilot , Aubergine/island SE, Aubergine/NWS Lswift, Black/fjord Sswift, Alphaviolet/NWS S25, Alphaviolet/viridian SK, Black/UV S19...and buying more! Smilie Aubergine and Alphaviolet lover!!!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m currently debating this right now. I have a MCB in Nebulous Grey 525 and I’m debating getting a matching Nebulous Grey S25, but I feel like I’d prefer the Halcyon for the larger bag. Can anyone comment on the difference in texture/feel between the two materials? Is one noticeably noisier than the other?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
    I’m currently debating this right now. I have a MCB in Nebulous Grey 525 and I’m debating getting a matching Nebulous Grey S25, but I feel like I’d prefer the Halcyon for the larger bag. Can anyone comment on the difference in texture/feel between the two materials? Is one noticeably noisier than the other?
    Hmmm, they are all pretty smooth weaves to me - YMMV- not like Cordura which has a noticeable texture.
    I also haven't noticed a noise difference - none of them are 'crinkly' sounding or anything... and the nylon 'woosh' you can get with synthetic pants/clothes doesn't seem to apply since the bags aren't usually swinging around against things...

You can always shoot an email/IM/call to the fine folks in Customer Service and ask for a swatch of any of the materials/colours that you're contemplating.
    Note that the Original (white grid) Black and the (new dark grid) Nordic are both discontinuing at some point this year. The new (dark grid) Black is staying. That may affect what colour you choose to buy....

I have bags in all three colours plus discontinued original (white grid) Nordic and I like them all. Right now I'm particularly enamored of the Original (white grid) Black with Island interior - just got the S19 in that combo and have a Side Effect on the way
    Smilie
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2