Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test Pack a Pilot request

Good morning all. I'm still in the middle of a debate with myself. Id really like a WF, but I'm still holding onto the idea I could get away with the Pilot just fine. Ive scanned this forum over to the best of my time and ability and can't seem to find the answer to my questions. Ive seen pics of some people able to pack what I have and even pics with a chocolate box in the main compartment, but ive not seen it zipped up or with a cube like mine...So I will ask now...

I need a test pack and / or pics showing it can be done in a Pilot please!

What I have to pack:
    Company laptop: 13.3 x 9x 0.8
    Leather binder: 13 x 9 x 1.25
    Eagle creek clothes cube: 14 x 10 x 3
    Also might pack a projector ( 11.75 x 9.37 x 3.25 ) in place of the cube for teaching trips packing clothes in my other bag.

I know my little cubes and toiletries cube will have plenty of room in the front 3 pockets with room to spare, I'm just worried about the main compartment. And I dont care if it looks stuffed. I also have to "two bag it" when flying anyway due to my gear requirements, and my loadout wouldn't involve the clothes cube but maybe 10-12 times a year when taking short trips. Appreciate any help !!!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to carry your laptop, leather binder and Eagle Creek clothes cube at the same time, I would say that they would not fit.

The main compartment of the Pilot is only about 2.5" thick (and about 3" if really stuffing it with stuff).

Your items would need about 5" of thickness to work. Even if the clothes cube could be squished, IMO it would only go down an inch or so.

If you are ok with it, I sometimes add a PCSB (Packing Cube Shoulder Bag) to the back of my Pilot (piggy-back style) if needing to carry more. Perhaps this might work for carrying the additional items you have (maybe in place of your clothes cube). Also, if you can find a way to clip the clothes cube on the Pilot, it might work as well.

Here is an old picture I have of an Original Halycon PCSB piggybacking a Ballistic Pilot:

Have you considered a Stowaway? With its 8" thickness, it might better fit your items - but not sure.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other note on the Stowaway option - it will be a very tight fit with your laptop in a cache or other sleeve. I have a Lenovo X1 Gen 4 and it is very tight in a TB Cache.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are pictures of my pilot with a 14 x 10 eagle creek cube packed with some rolled up t-shirts, my 2014 15" macbook pro (0.71 x 14.13 x 9.73) and a saddleback leather portfolio 13.5 x 9.8 x 1 inches with a legal pad in it. It was tight but it worked and I probably could have fit something else thin in - depending on how squishy the packing cube is. Nothing was in the front pockets but the last picture is of the 3 items zipped up.
    Test Pack a Pilot request-img_6525-2-jpgTest Pack a Pilot request-img_1859-2-jpgTest Pack a Pilot request-img_0585-2-jpg
    Last edited by spcanf; 05-21-2018 at 11:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much! I wondered if it could be "stuffed" into that compartment. Was debating on getting rid of my leather folder as well to make it a little better fit when I need my clothes cube. Using the smaller profile of the Pilot would benefit me greater than having the room of the WF on a EDC situation. Thanks again!!

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spcanf View Post
    Here are pictures of my pilot with a 14 x 10 eagle creek cube packed with some rolled up t-shirts, my 2014 15" macbook pro (0.71 x 14.13 x 9.73) and a saddleback leather portfolio 13.5 x 9.8 x 1 inches with a legal pad in it. It was tight but it worked and I probably could have fit something else thin in - depending on how squishy the packing cube is. Nothing was in the front pockets but the last picture is of the 3 items zipped up.
    Test Pack a Pilot request-img_0585-2-jpg
    I'm not even in the market for a Pilot, but I love the pictures and information! We appreciate when you guys take the time to test pack your own gear for us, it makes purchase decisions easier (or harder!) You can tell that TB users are proud of their gear, y'all are a bunch of enablers!

Theresa in Indy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spcanf View Post
    Test Pack a Pilot request-img_6525-2-jpgTest Pack a Pilot request-img_1859-2-jpgTest Pack a Pilot request-img_0585-2-jpg
    Just a quick thought.....did the tight back compartment take away from the front pockets? If so, could you illustrate how much?