Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Briefcase - Halcyon or 525 Ballistic?

Hi All,

I'm can't decide which is best the new ballistic or the Halcyon version for th DBC?

I want a bag that can be used for carrying either a 12.9 iPAD pro or 2016 13" retina MBP, plus the option to use it casually.
    I love the lightness of PCSB - but sometines, I want a slightly bigger bag.
    I like bright colours, so with Halcyo, I would be limited to Nordic.

Will the ballistic be better for durability but will I sacrifice the flexibility of Halcyon?
    What do you think?

Thank you.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by London Eye View Post
    Hi All,

I'm can't decide which is best the new ballistic or the Halcyon version for th DBC?

I want a bag that can be used for carrying either a 12.9 iPAD pro or 2016 13" retina MBP, plus the option to use it casually.
    I love the lightness of PCSB - but sometines, I want a slightly bigger bag.
    I like bright colours, so with Halcyo, I would be limited to Nordic.

Will the ballistic be better for durability but will I sacrifice the flexibility of Halcyon?
    What do you think?

Thank you.
    I received a Nordic halcyon DLBC a few weeks ago in trade and have been using it as an EDC since. I love blues and grays and the Nordic is a funky deep cobalt with purple depths (to my eyes). I have put my larger work laptop in it when I needed to go between work buildings (no cache, my laptop is too big, but I was careful). It fits my MacBook Air better.
    For EDC I usually have a Travel Cubelet and journal in there, a 16oz Nalgene water bottle, and some misc. small stuff.
    I've been pleasantly surprised by how useful it is whilst not being too big or awkward.

I had test packed a Cordura version a couple month ago, but I much prefer the halcyon for this smaller bag. Generally, that's how my preferences for material seem to play out: small bags in the more flexible/lighter halcyon and larger bags (A30) in the 1050 ballistic... and my S19 is 525 ballistic - a good compromise I think. The 525 wouldn't be bad in the DLBC if you want a stiffer/more structured bag.

For colour, ask TB to send you swatches so you can see them in person.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide!
    Last edited by G42; 05-22-2018 at 07:55 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dlbc in nordic halcyon (it is brighter and a bit purple-ier than I expected) and I really like it. To me, the halcyon fabric is plenty durable unless you are going to be dragging the bag along the floor a lot. The only thing I have noticed is that it is very floppy. The difference in fabric to me is whether you want to bag to be more able to stand up on its own/keep its shape better.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your prompt replies G422 & spcanf - much appreciated.
    Is it a good size or do you find the DBC too small?

What are the views of those with the 525 ballistic?
    Do you like the material or is it too stiff?

Thank you.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the DLBC in Halcyon and the Side Kick in 525 Ballistic which I call EDC Ballistic as opposed to Travel Ballistic which is 1050, I believe.

When I first ordered the Side Kick in EDC Ballistic, I was at the same time, exited and also prepared to judge EDC Ballistic with a critical eye.

I could not image that ultra strong, tough Travel Ballistic used for the hardest jobs such as long distance checked bag, paperwork and other stuff during moves, bug out bag could be streamlined into a soft and strong smooth fabric perfect for EDC. I had dreamed of a fabric like that.

So the DLBC in EDC Ballistic will be just a little bit stiffer than the Halcyon.

It might be useful to get it in Ballistic, if you are in love with a particular color and you will need the DLBC to stand up.

Right now, there is a Marsh Red Canyon available to order and I think Canyon is a limited edition color which means that if you love that color get it now, because it is going to be very popular.

The next batch of DLBC in Halcyon is still in production.

I choose Halcyon Nordic because I love the color and the lightweight of the fabric.
    The DLBC is for a small footprint laptop, a truly portable one, so the bag can be worn on its own cross shoulder with minimal strain on the body.

A very light bag can be marsupialized: used inside another bag like the Pop Tote, the Swift or the Synapses or have another small bag like the SK or a Freudian Slip Insert, used inside to organize items with not much weight added.

If you love either of the two EDC Ballistic colors available now, get it now, especially Mars Red/Canyon.

If you want to know more about the fabrics before ordering email the Crew (customer service) and ask for fabric swatches.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

Right now, there is a Marsh Red Canyon available to order and I think Canyon is a limited edition color which means that if you love that color get it now, because it is going to be very popular....

If you love either of the two EDC Ballistic colors available now, get it now, especially Mars Red/Canyon.

Canyon is officially discontinued, so what's available is what is left...so if you like it, get it whilst you can.