Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And another S19 vs S25 thread... :)

Hello, all. I need some advice. I started a thread about a week ago and received no response, and since then I've had second thoughts on my planned S25 order. I've got a Daylight that I've used as EDC for several years and love it, but now I desperately need something larger.

My first choice was an S25 but as a 5'5" somewhat slim female, I'm concerned that it will be too big and cumbersome for EDC (though I am somewhat wide shouldered and long waisted so I've got a bit more torso room than some). Anyway, I'm thinking about getting an S19 instead.

Below is my current main pocket carry in my Daylight.

And another S19 vs S25 thread... :)-img_4683-jpg

I can't comfortably get all of these things in my Daylight without turning it into a heavy lump. Plus, the back of the Daylight isn't padded so it gets somewhat uncomfortable if things shift, but otherwise the Daylight has been an extremely comfortable carry for me.

Also, this much stuffed into the main Daylight pocket nearly makes the front pocket unusable except for something flat like paper or my TB wallet. There's no room for sunglasses or anything rounded. And forget adding in a laptop.

And another S19 vs S25 thread... :)-img_4684-jpg

And another S19 vs S25 thread... :)-img_4685-jpg

Yep, stuffed! In addition to these items, I also want to get a Cubelet to hold my TB wallet, sunglasses, iPhone, and a few misc items. I think the Cubelet would be handy to pop out of my pack when I want to run errands without sketching and birding gear. Plus, I'd like some extra room for a jacket and/or hat when needed.

Do you all think the S19 would suffice or should I go with the S25?
    Last edited by Tonya; 06-08-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: fix typos

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S19 is only 2.5L more than the DLBP... but the space is laid out differently due to the pockets.
    You could probably fit everything in, but the size of a potential laptop might be a deal breaker, plus it depends on how much wiggle room and quick access you want... especially if you start wanting to add jackets, etc.

The standard reco here is to get both S19 and S25, test pack them, and send back the one you don't want.... with the also standard warning that you might end up keeping both of them!

The jump from S19 to S25 is big enough in size - especially of how the pockets are sized - to probably change what & how you load your stuff and would easily accommodate your EDC items plus the potential extra items...

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    The S19 is only 2.5L more than the DLBP... but the space is laid out differently due to the pockets.
    You could probably fit everything in, but the size of a potential laptop might be a deal breaker, plus it depends on how much wiggle room and quick access you want... especially if you start wanting to add jackets, etc.

The standard reco here is to get both S19 and S25, test pack them, and send back the one you don't want.... with the also standard warning that you might end up keeping both of them!

The jump from S19 to S25 is big enough in size - especially of how the pockets are sized - to probably change what & how you load your stuff and would easily accommodate your EDC items plus the potential extra items...
    My laptop is fairly slim - a MacBook Air 13-inch - and I can easily fit it into the daylight if I remove the 9x12 watercolor block, but I'd occasionally like room for both. I've read the "get both and return one" advice and could do it as long as I returned one before my credit statement dropped. But ugh, paying for shipping both ways is what I'd prefer to avoid. My budget is tight and shipping costs could add up to a Travel Cubelet. I'd rather have the TC.

Does the S25 have the side straps to compress it, similar to the Brain Bag?

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Synapses both pack and carry best when not stuffed full. If the DLBP is that tight, then the S19 would not offer an easier carry experience for you. IMO
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I think the Synapses both pack and carry best when not stuffed full. If the DLBP is that tight, then the S19 would not offer an easier carry experience for you. IMO
    Great info so thanks for your input. I think you talked me into it. I'm also getting a Freudian Slip, and the S25 slip's organization seems so much better for me than the S19 slip, so that's a serious consideration also.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post

Does the S25 have the side straps to compress it, similar to the Brain Bag?
    unfortunately, no side compression straps

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    Great info so thanks for your input. I think you talked me into it. I'm also getting a Freudian Slip, and the S25 slip's organization seems so much better for me than the S19 slip, so that's a serious consideration also.
    I also highly recommend getting the frame sheet for your S25. It’s a game changer for many who have used it.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also highly recommend getting the frame sheet for your S25. It’s a game changer for many who have used it.
    Yes! People are not exaggerating when they say this.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    unfortunately, no side compression straps
    I couldn't find any mention of these or see them in photos, but I was hoping. Thank you so much for your comments. Very helpful!

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read about the frame in the forums and knew I'd prefer the rigidity and structure that it adds, so thanks for the reminder!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are concerned about the S25 size but still want more space occasionally, there is also the option to get an S19 and use some of the Bag Hack suggestions to add some space by attaching PCSB or other items onto the S19. One excellent example by @Dandelion is below:

S19 being a Smart Alec

There is also a Bag Hack that shows how to add a compression strap to an Synapse. If I find it, I will add to this post.

Hope this Helps
    Cheers
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-10-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    If you are concerned about the S25 size but still want more space occasionally, there is also the option to get an S19 and use some of the Bag Hack suggestions to add some space by attaching PCSB or other items onto the S19.
    I hadn't seen this post, but it's pretty brilliant. Let me know if you find the other one. I actually thought about something similar with the S25 to attach a lightweight tripod easel, but apparently it works for other things. Thanks!

Does anyone know how/if the S19 and S25 fit into the Brain Bag? I really like how my daylight slips right into the front pocket and my easel fits into that bag. I'm not picky about which section holds what.

Ohio
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Yes! People are not exaggerating when they say this.
    ....Aaaaaaaaaaaand here I am to promote that frame sheet. It's the single best extra purchase imaginable for anyone who loads up and travels around with a Synapse

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wavebeam View Post
    ....Aaaaaaaaaaaand here I am to promote that frame sheet. It's the single best extra purchase imaginable for anyone who loads up and travels around with a Synapse
    Totally took everyone's word for it and ordered a Synapse 25 PLUS a frame. But for some unknown reason, my shipment was delayed with UPS and didn't arrive until after I had to leave for a trip. {Sigh} I's waiting for me at home. Can't wait to try it out!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how did everything turn out? I hope you did get your package and pack!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast