Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side kick ballistic vs. side kick halycon vs. new ballistic 525?

hi!

I currently own a Side Kick in halcyon (which I love), and a Side Kick in ballistic (1050). I rarely use the ballistic fabric one because it doesn't quite have the give that I need to fit a few things. Does anyone have a Side Kick in the new ballistic 525 that they could compare to the halcyon?

p.s. any chance viridian will ever be an exterior color? I have the travel cubelet in viridian, and it's great.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Side Kick in both the original (1050) and new (525) ballistic. What sort of comparison are you looking for? I could take photos if that would be helpful, particularly if there is something you commonly pack that I could replicate. For me, I don't pack them so full that the amount of "give" makes a functional difference, but I think I prefer the increased lightness of the 525.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two SK's in the new 525 ballistic... I'm also considering getting a Nordic halcyon SK...I don't NEED another SK, just want one
    But I do have a Daylight Briefcase in Nordic halcyon... and I had compared it to the Cordura and 525 materials...

As you would expect, the halcyon is the most flexible, then the 525 ballistic, then the 1050 ballistic...
    For that small of a bag, I feel it's best to go with the flexibility/stiffness that you like... hopefully you're not subjecting it to so much stress that the difference in durability will be a factor... For the small bags, I choose based on colour combo's I like.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a number of items daily, mostly small, and I don't like to cram things so full that I can't get to each item. The main issue was my Traveler's Notebook, which fits easily in the halcyon Side Kick, but not so well in the ballistic 1050 (it fits, but it's tight because of the stiffness of the bag).

Items I normally carry:

- small leather wallet
    - traveler's notebook (regular size)
    - iPhone SE (in slim case)
    - Baggu reusable bag (folded)
    - two sets of keys (work and house stuff) -- put these in the front zip pocket with key straps
    - small halcyon organizer with ibuprofen/bandaids/miscellaneous

Photos would be super helpful if you are willing!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the dimensions of your Traveler's Notebook? I have a lot of Leuchtturm stuff; maybe one of them is similar in size.

Quote Originally Posted by haypeep View Post
    I carry a number of items daily, mostly small, and I don't like to cram things so full that I can't get to each item. The main issue was my Traveler's Notebook, which fits easily in the halcyon Side Kick, but not so well in the ballistic 1050 (it fits, but it's tight because of the stiffness of the bag).

Items I normally carry:

- small leather wallet
    - traveler's notebook (regular size)
    - iPhone SE (in slim case)
    - Baggu reusable bag (folded)
    - two sets of keys (work and house stuff) -- put these in the front zip pocket with key straps
    - small halcyon organizer with ibuprofen/bandaids/miscellaneous

Photos would be super helpful if you are willing!
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The traveler's notebook is roughly 22cm x 12 cm x 3 (ish) cm (thick) ... or ~8.75 in x 4.75 in x 1 in. It's the standard sized Midori one. The issue I had getting it in and out of the ballistic side kick was due to its length/height (longest dimension).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @haypeep, I'm sorry - I've tried all my notebooks and none of them approach that size. (They're a lot smaller.) So I'm not sure how helpful photos would be.

Overall, I think the 525 Side Kick is more similar to the 1050 ballistic than the Halcyon, if you are trying to fit in something, though I like it a lot as a fabric for this bag.
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haypeep View Post
    The traveler's notebook is roughly 22cm x 12 cm x 3 (ish) cm (thick) ... or ~8.75 in x 4.75 in x 1 in. It's the standard sized Midori one. The issue I had getting it in and out of the ballistic side kick was due to its length/height (longest dimension).
    Hi @haypeep,

I don't carry the Traveler's Notebook, but I do carry one of the refills for the Traveler's Notebook in my Side Kick. I generally use the Black Halcyon/Island version, but I have experience with both the 525d Ballistic and 1050d Ballistic versions of the Side Kick. My phone is the iPhone 6 (same size as your SE). @bchaplin is correct that the 525d fabric Side Kick is more similar to the 1050d Ballistic version than the Halcyon version, but if you are sparing of what you carry in your Side Kick (e.g., depending on the size of your small leather wallet), you may be able to use the 525d Ballistic Nylon version of the Side Kick.

As a side comment to give you an idea about the relative flexibility, I was checking the packing of the (recently retired) Night Flight Travel Duffel. I'm one of the people who has no problem fitting shoes in this bag (US size 6, or sometimes 5). I noticed that I could even easily pack a pair of high heels into my Halcyon Side Kick and put this into a side pocket of the NFTD, but that the 525d Ballistic Nylon Side Kick could also work for this (but not 1050d Ballistic, which didn't flex enough).

So, you might find there is enough extra flexure to let you use the 525d Ballistic Nylon Side Kick with your contents. One additional comment: the stiffness of the 1050d Ballistic Nylon is not only in the give of the fabric, but also in how inflexible the corners of the bag are, given seamed reinforcement of the stitched edges. So you may find there is more flexibility in the 525d Side Kick than you might guess.

I still prefer to use the Halcyon Side Kick for maximum flexibility in what I can carry.

HTH

moriond