Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to bring 3 laptops AND an iPad, one-bag travel is not for you. It's all about compromise, and if there is no opportunity for it, don't bother.

Best case for one-bag travel:
    -travelling in a lot of different modes of transit in a short period of time
    -multiple cities or locations where you are dealing with multiple people on different days, so repeating an outfit isn't as big a deal
    -travelling to a location that might be risky to have to keep track of multiple bags, or a greater risk of checked baggage being lost or stolen.
    -travelling on smaller aircraft where overheads may force a larger carry-on to be checked.
    -multiple countries with multiple standards for carry-on bags
    -available time or facilities to wash undergarments or soiled clothing, or steam refreshing worn items.
    -travelling in places with relatively consistent temperature range and weather conditions
    -limited opportunity to deviate (from work to play and vice-versa)

Best case for larger/roller bags: basically the opposite
    -long trip to one location via respectable infrastructure
    -living/working in civilized places where professional laundry service is available and trustworthy
    -working with the same group of people where repeating clothing or accessorizing the same clothes will be noticeable
    -low risk of luggage being stolen, have assistance form porters etc.
    -large variety of weather conditions to prepare for that would necessitate more gear
    -must have both work and vacation clothing in quantity

I know my own dedication to one-bag travel is almost pathological, so have little to offer in the discussion. If you aren't already addicted, stay off it!

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacharyabritton View Post
    I would probably be identified by members of this forum as one who have a similar amount of toiletrees to many of the women here. I very much dislike carrying any bag while I am traveling day-to-day. I prefer to leave my bag in my hotel/hostel/airbnb. If the consensus is that I am better off with two bags, maybe it is best if go with a Briggs and Riley or Tumi business set then. I really like the organization of the Synapse and the space of the Aeronaut 45, but the organization of stuff in the Aeronaut leaves me wanting.
    Totally understand if TB isn't your thing. I haven't checked out the aforementioned bags in a long time. I had a Tumi many years ago post college but either lost, destroyed or sold it along with way. But if you are thinking of using any bag as a carry-on and/or urban trekking with it (not carrying during the day but lots of moving from trains/rail/subways to hotel etc), check out the weights of the bags. After being a die-hard TB user for the past 3 years, I recently purchased a non-TB bag and was shocked at the weight. 4# stripped and empty. It's headed to eBay.

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zach-
    When I was younger, I carried a larger backpack whenever I went to Europe where I would spend the summer traveling about via Eurail, or a semester abroad. I packed like a Boy Scout = Be Prepared.

Now, I carry a TB S19 with organizational pouches on lanyards (TB Dopp kit, 1-2 changes of clothes, external battery, eye glasses, water bottle, journal, etc). The S19 accompanies my Briggs & Riley Int'l 21" carry-on (clothes for 7-14 days, sometimes an iPad, etc). Its been great to travel with this set up during my last few trips in Europe. I don't usually carry my S19 during the day, unless I need to carry rain gear or something I need to access to during the day, or if I'm staying in the city center and I can drop the pack off if desired.

Someday, I might look into the Aeronaut for traveling in Latin America.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdCoastHighlander View Post
    Zach-
    Now, I carry a TB S19 with organizational pouches on lanyards (TB Dopp kit, 1-2 changes of clothes, external battery, eye glasses, water bottle, journal, etc).
    So I'd love to see a photo of your S19 setup. Sounds interesting!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rdCoast -

I think I am past the stage where I will ever have time to backpack for six months. While I will be traveling for about six weeks, and the Aeronaut seems like an ideal bag for that purpose, and I especially value the two side pockets that separate shoes from the main compartment, unlike even Briggs or Tumi Bags, most of my other travel will be much shorter and not require such constant movement. Do you feel your setup is too burdensome? Although one-bag travel sounds great, the board seems to think it is not practical. That leads me to conclude a backpack will get more use and is probably the better option. Did you consider a Briggs or Tumi backpack? A fully loaded TB Synapse is comparable in price to a Tumi T-Pass Business backpack. What would a good set of accessories look like for a 25, other than the frame and computer cache? Is it necessary to have both a freduian slip and snake charmer? A packing cube? Laundry sack?

Thx

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All-
    So Iíve settled on a Synapse 25. Thanks for helping me decide between the Synapse and Aeronaut.

The question is now what accessories should be outfitted. After doing substantial reading on the forum, I have decided to get:

Cache, 15Ē
    Freudian Slip - undecided, havenít read many positive comments, not sure if organizationally necessary or if it takes up too much space in the main compartment
    Snake Charmer
    3D organizer cube, clear or Mesh, and/or
    Side Effect (saw a setup with side effect as an interior top pocket very useful)
    Double organizer pouch, medium, clear
    And some combination of travel stuff sack(s), laundry stuff sack, and packing cubes.
    Bunch of key straps
    Possible q kit, small organizer

Would love a cube that could fit a pair of shoes if necessary and one for a change of clothing. Not sure if laundry sack serves that purpose or if a 30 mesh packing cube is necessary.

Also would love your thoughts if this setup is overboard, and what you would cut.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All-
    So Iíve settled on a Synapse 25. Thanks for helping me decide between the Synapse and Aeronaut.

The question is now what accessories should be outfitted. After doing substantial reading on the forum, I have decided to get:

Cache, 15Ē
    Freudian Slip - undecided, havenít read many positive comments, not sure if organizationally necessary or if it takes up too much space in the main compartment
    Snake Charmer
    3D organizer cube, clear or Mesh, and/or
    Side Effect (saw a setup with side effect as an interior top pocket very useful)
    Double organizer pouch, medium, clear
    And some combination of travel stuff sack(s), laundry stuff sack, and packing cubes.
    Bunch of key straps
    Possible q kit, small organizer

Would love a cube that could fit a pair of shoes if necessary and one for a change of clothing. Not sure if laundry sack serves that purpose or if a 30 mesh packing cube is necessary.

Also would love your thoughts if this setup is overboard, and what you would cut.

Thanks

What will you be carrying?

The good thing about the Freudian Slip is that it is removable. If you carry a number of office supplies: documents, folders... to work or school, nothing beats its organization.
    When traveling, it can be hung next to your hotel room or business center desk or, left at your home office.

The advice for the Packing Cube for the change of clothing will depend of the kind of clothes you want to pack.
    If you are packing a change of dress clothes, a Mesh Cube or a Packing Cube Backpack is necessary to keep everything flat and relatively wrinkle free.

If you want to pack gym or swim outfits or a bunch tees, you will be fine with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, it has a front pocket very handy for wet or dirty clothes, or a small towel, a snack bar, etc...

For your shoes, I recommend an end pocket for Aeronaute 30 https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...=6900211843135
    or Aeronaut 45 https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...=6900187922495
    One is bigger than the other, ask the Crew about the one that will fit your shoe size and the S25.

The pocket is made of ultra lightweight Aether, which is a strong nylon that keeps its shape and is very easy to clean.

The Laundry Stuff Sack is great for keeping dirty socks and other foundation garments out of way, essentially a traveling laundry bag.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-13-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíll be carrying a computer, charger, travel documents and work papers, a binder (thus not sure if a Freudian slip is necessary), a book, journal, water bottle, sunglasses, mini espresso machine if traveling, clothes will usually be casual and/or gym clothes, including shoes. The shoulder cube is preferable to the Aeronaut two part backpack cube or laundry bag? Seems like it is one or the other. Also seems like either the travel packs or laundry bag. Snake charmer looks helpful but if I get the Freudian slip not sure if it will be used, and vice versa. Only things I know I need are cache right now, and it sounds like the frame is a great addition too.

Forum Member
    NC Appalachians
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All-

The question is now what accessories should be outfitted.
    Don't forget the frame. If you are loading up the S25 for travel, it needs it.

I like the slip because I carry a lot of art/sketching supplies when I travel. The S25 already has excellent organization in the pockets, so you may not need it, but it is a great place to stash papers. It does take up space but also adds a bit of structure and loads more organization. Basically, it's a great way to transform the S25 into a briefcase or you can stuff the slip full of toiletries. It hangs nicely on the back of a bathroom door.

The Side Effect and the Snake Charmer will also fit into the bottom front pocket of the S25. Lots of options with those two goodies and I also highly recommend them with the S25 and other bags. If you add both of these, again, you may not need the slip.

Lay everything you typically pack out on a bed or table and visualize where it will go. That should let you know if you need/want the FS.
    Last edited by Tonya; 06-13-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I finally bit the bullet, placed an order (still amendable) for a Synapse 25, Black with Northwest Sky Halycon (although a Grass Interior would be fantastic), with the following accessories:

Double Organizer Pouch, Medium
    Q-Kit, Small
    Travel Stuff Sack Size 1 (rather than a Yarn Sack)
    Travel Stuff Sack Size 2
    Travel Laundry Sack, Aeronaut 30
    Aeronaut 30 Large Laundry Packing Cube
    3D Organizer Cube, Mesh (after watching countless videos determined the Snake Charmer is too large for my technology storage needs)
    3D Organizer Cube, Clear
    Cache for 15" MCB, passed on the Freudian Slip (believe the interior pocket and organization may be sufficient, if not I can always order one)
    5 Key Straps

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "One of us! One of us!" Big Grin

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3rdCoast -

I think I am past the stage where I will ever have time to backpack for six months. While I will be traveling for about six weeks, and the Aeronaut seems like an ideal bag for that purpose, and I especially value the two side pockets that separate shoes from the main compartment, unlike even Briggs or Tumi Bags, most of my other travel will be much shorter and not require such constant movement. Do you feel your setup is too burdensome? Although one-bag travel sounds great, the board seems to think it is not practical. That leads me to conclude a backpack will get more use and is probably the better option. Did you consider a Briggs or Tumi backpack? A fully loaded TB Synapse is comparable in price to a Tumi T-Pass Business backpack. What would a good set of accessories look like for a 25, other than the frame and computer cache? Is it necessary to have both a freduian slip and snake charmer? A packing cube? Laundry sack?

Thanks!
    I wear my TB S19 and pull a B&R Sympatico CX. In my TB S19 I carry a change of clothes in a packing cube, my journal, camera, pen/pencil/hi-lighter, Anker battery, water bottle, 3-1-1 bag, my rain coat when I'm not wearing it, headphones, Ipad (sometimes), & my Dopp kit. I also carry a TB travel trey (battery charger, clothes line/hook, sink plug, etc.

If I were one-bagging it, I'd move up to the S25 and carry a Side Kick maybe. When I'm touring, I usually leave everything where I'm staying. I guess where I'm traveling, it doesn't feel too burdensome. I'll be in Spain next week with my family for 14 days and I'll move from the airport, to the bus/metro to where I'm staying. We'll move from the capital to 3 other cities by train. All 4 of us will run the same set up.

And yes, traveling with only a backpack is definitely easier. If were just me, that's how I'd roll.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    So I'd love to see a photo of your S19 setup. Sounds interesting!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/162710098@N03/

Tonya- For some reason my .jpg files aren't uploading, so I'll try this. I'm starting to pack for my trip next week. I'll pack for 5-7 days in Spain with is h.o.t in the summer. I'll try and remember a few more picks this weekend.
    Last edited by 3rdCoastHighlander; 06-21-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having tried the WF, TS, A30 and A45, I finally settled on an A45 for my clothes and a smaller bag for whatever technology I'm bringing with me. That means either a SK, SE, or Pilot if I need a computer. One of these bags is worn cross body on me with the bag itself positioned in front of me, and then I wear the A45 as a backpack. This leaves me completely hands free, with good access to the important stuff in the smaller bag. The A45 goes in the overhead and the smaller bag under the seat in front of me. Since I tend to underpack, I can also put the smaller bag in the A45 if I really want to one bag it. I've travelled for a month with this setup and it worked great for me and my husband.

Since you are a lawyer, you may want to pick a more formal briefcase to wear cross body.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    After having tried the WF, TS, A30 and A45, I finally settled on an A45 for my clothes and a smaller bag for whatever technology I'm bringing with me. That means either a SK, SE, or Pilot if I need a computer. One of these bags gos cross body on me with the bag itself positioned in front of me, and then I wear the A45 as a backpack. This leaves me completely hands free, with good access to the important stuff in the smaller bag. The A45 goes in the overhead and the smaller bag under the seat in front of me. Since I tend to underpack, I can also put the smaller bag in the A45 if I really want to one bag it. I've lived for a month travelling with this setup.

Since you are a lawyer, you may want to pick a more formal briefcase to wear cross body.
    I ended up getting a Synapse 25, even though for my upcoming trip an Aeronaut might have sufficed. I doubt I would use the Aeronaut much except for weeklong travel and as a gym bag. I have more formal, less rugged bags for work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast