Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heat from Hydroflask transferring to big compartment

I have a brand-new Synapse 19, love it. But I carry my coffee to work every day, and find that the heat from the double-walled Hydroflask is transferring to the bag's large compartment, and today it unfortunately warmed my lunch. Any ideas? Is there a foam sleeve you know of? I live a couple of blocks from Paragon sports in NYC, so will look there, but I'm curious what Synapse owners have done.

Tim

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly what you're asking, but arguably the best 'on the go' hot/cold insulated drink container is from Zojirushi
    They are not cheap and require a little more effort to clean out the gaskets, but they are vacuum insulated, so no real hot/cold transfer to an outer pack and they keep the contents hot/cold a wicked long time.

Amazon has them and you can check out all the reviews...
    https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SM-.../dp/B005PO9T44

I have one & love it...also gave them to my 70+yr old parents

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry my 16 oz Hydroflask in one of the side pockets of my S19 and haven't had an issue with it transferring heat into the large compartment. But I use this sling to carry my Hydroflask if I need to use all of the pockets on my S19; I can attach it to one of the backpack straps or just carry it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MPR052...ter_B004MPR098

I haven't tried the larger size sling but it may fit a larger sized Hydroflask.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve never had that issue with hydroflasks before, seems like it could potentially be a defect or failure. Would you consider contacting them to see if a warranty replacement might be able to be arranged? their CS is reasonably responsive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the insulated Klean Kanteen and they seem to be a very good option for insulated drinks. The seal well, have 2 different lids, are sturdy (they have survived me and my clumsiness for years) and are pretty easy to clean.
    Klean Kanteen 20oz Wide Mouth Stainless Steel Coffee Mug with Klean Coat, Double Wall Vacuum Insulated and Leak Proof Cafť Cap 2.0 - Sea Crest (NEW 2018) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079GJ38QG..._QdfkBbTVJK2NR

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capncat,
    When you fill yours with hot drink, doesn't it feel warm on the outside? I've used this flask for a year now and it has always been warm. Never hot, never sweating, but warm. I figured that was normal.
    Tim

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone, many thanks. I'm really happy with my hydroflask, would much like to keep using it, and figured it would work well with the S19. Also, I've seen the slings, for sure, but not having a second anything has been a major priority. My main daily use for the bag is to and from work in the NYC subways, and I want to be able to read and not have anything in my hands. So I want/need to make the bag work for the flask, or make the flask work for the bag, or change the flask if I really have to.

Tim

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmenyc View Post
    Capncat,
    When you fill yours with hot drink, doesn't it feel warm on the outside? I've used this flask for a year now and it has always been warm. Never hot, never sweating, but warm. I figured that was normal.
    Tim
    Not noticeably, I donít think? Iím Doing Some Science with hot tap water (110F) right now to confirm (broke out the laser temp gun and meat thermometer and everything), should have some results to share later on tonight.

ETA: after 1.5 hrs, only .1 degree warmer on the outside as it was empty, right before I filled it with the hot water.
    Last edited by capncat; 06-18-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both a Klean Kanteen and a Hydroflask that I trade off using throughout the week. I have noticed my Hydroflask is lukewarm on the outside when I add my coffee, but it never has much effect on my paperwork (I put it in my MB inside pocket). I can say that the more wear they get the less able they are to maintain temp inside and out. This is my 3rd (and last) Hydroflask. I much prefer the KK. Defect or age?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience it is the lids of insulated bottles that feel warm after adding a hot drink, not the sides. If your hydroflask is warm to the touch on the sides/bottom, I would consider that a defect.

Maybe this is why Zojirushi seem to outperform other brands: the fiddly, multi-part lids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    Not noticeably, I don’t think? I’m Doing Some Science with hot tap water (110F) right now to confirm (broke out the laser temp gun and meat thermometer and everything), should have some results to share later on tonight.

ETA: after 1.5 hrs, only .1 degree warmer on the outside as it was empty, right before I filled it with the hot water.
    CC -- I'll do the same test tonight! If it's less than 10 degrees, I'll be surprised. Granted, I always heat the flask up with boiing water before I pour the coffee in, but i have this admittedly irrational habit of liking my hot coffee hot. So curious, thanks for running the test!
    Tim

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    In my experience it is the lids of insulated bottles that feel warm after adding a hot drink, not the sides. If your hydroflask is warm to the touch on the sides/bottom, I would consider that a defect.

Maybe this is why Zojirushi seem to outperform other brands: the fiddly, multi-part lids?
    Christina, with my Thermoflask, it's definitely the flask that warms up, not the lid. I'm so curious to see just how much it warms up.
    Tim

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossedbooker View Post
    I have both a Klean Kanteen and a Hydroflask that I trade off using throughout the week. I have noticed my Hydroflask is lukewarm on the outside when I add my coffee, but it never has much effect on my paperwork (I put it in my MB inside pocket). I can say that the more wear they get the less able they are to maintain temp inside and out. This is my 3rd (and last) Hydroflask. I much prefer the KK. Defect or age?
    Crossed, I wish it were just the papers in my bag. A warm ham and cheese sandwich that is not meant to be a croque monsieur was not the plan here...

Tim

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to wonder, did I over-read the description of the "bottle" pocket as being appropriate for a hot flask? If so, and Bihn literally and specifically meant water bottles, I need to find a flask that doesn't actually get hot on the outside. Or, in your experience, does it just work for whatever bottle you stick in there?

Many thanks.
    Tim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think it's appropriate for any flask, but temperature shielding is not built in. That would cause the bag to be much heavier and single-purpose, since not everyone has that need. From my experience with carrying vacuum mugs, they are supposed to have built-in shielding that prevents the heat from transferring to the outside. I've used both Zojirushi and Hydroflask, and have not had an issue with the outside getting warm -- maybe the seal is broken on yours?

Quote Originally Posted by tmenyc View Post
    I have to wonder, did I over-read the description of the "bottle" pocket as being appropriate for a hot flask? If so, and Bihn literally and specifically meant water bottles, I need to find a flask that doesn't actually get hot on the outside. Or, in your experience, does it just work for whatever bottle you stick in there?

Many thanks.
    Tim
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast