Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for one bag solution

I am trying to find a solution for one bagging a work trip for 5 days. I currently own a WF, tri-star, and synapse 25 and I can't get any of these to work with what I need to pack for this trip.

Any idea will be appreciated.

The items I am bringing are the following:

- size 13 men's running shoes (I can't get these to not bulge out of the WF or tri-star)
    - 15" macbook pro
    - 4 t-shirts
    - pair of running shorts
    - 1 pair of socks
    - 5 underwear
    - pair of pants
    - toiletries
    - chargers and cables
    - kindle
    - over the ear headphones

The main issue I am running into are the running shoes. They are making most of the bags bulge and bulky. I was thinking of getting an aeronaut 30, but from what I have read the laptop wouldn't fit.

Thanks

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ybihn View Post
    I am trying to find a solution for one bagging a work trip for 5 days. I currently own a WF, tri-star, and synapse 25 and I can't get any of these to work with what I need to pack for this trip.

The items I am bringing are the following:

- size 13 men's running shoes (I can't get these to not bulge out of the WF or tri-star)
    - 15" macbook pro

The main issue I am running into are the running shoes. They are making most of the bags bulge and bulky. I was thinking of getting an aeronaut 30, but from what I have read the laptop wouldn't fit.

Thanks
    The laptop should fit, though there is no built-in protection. Otherwise, it should be fine for your laptop.

The A30's description indicates the end pockets can accommodate shoes (either running or formal) up to size 12, so it might still be an issue, although I have no personal experience with that size. Actually, I've never been able to comfortably fit a good pair of oxfords into the A30 end pockets, no matter what size. Athletic shoes should be easier, though.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I traded my A30 for an A45. Packing the exact same items, I get more 2-D acreage with the A45. I'm a normal sized woman, and I was surprised how much more comfortable the A45 was to carry than the A30. If it's your shoes that are causing the most problem, the A45 should be able to handle them.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoes are always a killer for a one-bag. My workaround is squishy shoes that pack flat (These I have in size 12 that fit in my WF). New shoes are cheaper than a new bag!

No reason the rest shouldn't fit in the bags you have now, depending on how over-ear the headphones are.

France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need and ease to carry normally a couple of pairs of shoes is also why A45 is my choice.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    Shoes are always a killer for a one-bag. My workaround is squishy shoes that pack flat. New shoes are cheaper than a new bag!
    I wish that were true for quality oxfords Gotta use shoe trees to keep their shape, which also adds to their weight. I've still not found a pair of travel oxfords or bluchers that is comfortable, durable, and of proper classic style.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    Need and ease to carry normally a couple of pairs of shoes is also why A45 is my choice.
    I'm leaning toward that conclusion, too. I recently got an A45 to try out (for extra room in the main compartment) and discovered that the end pockets are cavernous, too, and easily hold multiple cubes (311, snake charmer, toiletry bag, and first aid kit in one end) and large shoes.
    Last edited by ThomGault; 06-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadD View Post
    That's what I'm thinking, but it's going to be a shame to have so much wasted space in the middle compartment. I can onebag for a couple of weeks with a synapse, so this is kind of defeating.

Will I have to gate check the A45 on a regional jet? Will the A45 fit under the airplane seat?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm thinking, but it's going to be a shame to have so much wasted space in the middle compartment. I can onebag for a couple of weeks with a synapse, so this is kind of defeating.

Will I have to gate check the A45 on a regional jet? Will the A45 fit under the airplane seat?
    Maybe you could get away with an A30 if you put the shoes and small odd things in the center compartment?

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are multiple threads about these issues which delve deeper than i will, but, basically, an a45 gives more space against your back, thus allowing more weight to be held tighter to your body (and making it feel lighter.) As for airline luggage regulations, ymmv on everything, but theoretically an underpacked a45 should be fine.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the A30 with ankle high safety/work boots (women's size 9) in the center section and other items packed around it and flat clothes on top - leaving the ends mostly for squishy clothes,etc.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about hanging the shoes outside the bag?
    https://www.amazon.com/Klitch-Footwe.../dp/B06XRK4962

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    I wish that were true for quality oxfords Gotta use shoe trees to keep their shape, which also adds to their weight.
    Somehow Oxfords are easier to pack than your typical New Balance crosstrainer...on the rare occasions I have to get Oxfords in my WF, I soft pack things like socks, undies, cables etc. in and around them to keep the shape. 12's are a very tight fit end-to-end in the front pocket of the WF, but I have managed a 3-day that way. My travel style tends to lean Venetian loafer, which I can swap with the trainers without a lot of fuss while out and about.
    Last edited by imperator; 06-26-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried again tonight and everything fit in the tri-star with no bulge. The trick was to align each shoe individually in the middle compartment (I was using a shoe bag before).

Now I think I will just purchase a DLBP to fold/pack in the TS and carry my laptop around at the conference.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing TB sells compares to the TB Brain Bag!!! It can handle all your packing needs!!!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried again tonight and everything fit in the tri-star with no bulge. The trick was to align each shoe individually in the middle compartment (I was using a shoe bag before).

Now I think I will just purchase a DLBP to fold/pack in the TS and carry my laptop around at the conference.
    I was about to suggest what you just did with your shoes.

A DLBP is a lifesaver in any trip, in transit, I use my DLBP as a Packing Cube and as a Backpack at the destination.