1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    Thanks so much! The s25 I ordered gets here on Friday (stupid holiday), so I'll try it out then.
    When you get it, let us know how it works for you. If it fits you well, I may try the S25 again at some point after the colors calm down.
    Last edited by Tonya; 07-05-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: typo

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...it has arrived! It fit everything great, including my phone in the small pocket, the length is perfect, and it's comfortable to wear...however, I compared it to my aeronaut 45 just for kicks and that was actually a more comfortable backpack.

After going back and forth on trying to figure out why, I realized that it is how the straps are set. (I know this has been brought up many times before), but the Aeronaut straps are set at an angle and are curved down and the Synapse straps are set straight and go straight down. This means that the Synapse doesn't hug your shoulders/neck as well and that you're constantly readjusting the straps to be closer to you. The sternum clip helps a bit, but it's still not like the Aeronaut fit.

First photo is the Aeronaut and the 2nd is the Synapse. It's a slight difference in the picture, but it makes a pretty big difference in comfort.

It's a pretty good bag otherwise. I love how slim it is and the padded hip belt and frame make it feel very comfortable with weight distribution.

I'm definitely returning the synapse 19, but I'm going to play around with the 25 more to see if it's worth keeping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nolegrl; 07-06-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nolegrl View Post
    After going back and forth on trying to figure out why, I realized that it is how the straps are set. (I know this has been brought up many times before), but the Aeronaut straps are set at an angle and are curved down and the Synapse straps are set straight and go straight down.
    This is also what I noticed about the S25 compared to my BB. The BB's straps sound like the Aeronaut. I must say that the Synapse straps look better on you than me! They floated on my shoulders except for a sliver of an edge that acted like a dull knife.

I may try the S25 again whenever TB comes out with a color that I like. I just couldn't get around the Island interior AND the strap issue. I only need one challenge to overcome at a time! Thanks for your photos!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    This is also what I noticed about the S25 compared to my BB. The BB's straps sound like the Aeronaut. I must say that the Synapse straps look better on you than me! They floated on my shoulders except for a sliver of an edge that acted like a dull knife.

I may try the S25 again whenever TB comes out with a color that I like. I just couldn't get around the Island interior AND the strap issue. I only need one challenge to overcome at a time! Thanks for your photos!
    No problem! I'm not sure what could be causing the floating thing, but I wish we could ask them to custom sew the straps on like they are on the Aeronaut (and I'm assuming the BB), that seems it would alleviate most of the issues we seem to be having.

If I lived closer to the store, I would walk in and show them the difference and see if there is anything they can do or at least it would point out a problem some have with the bag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya View Post
    As a follow-up diagnosis, do you have sloped shoulders? If so, that could make a huge difference in fit/comfort.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    As a follow-up diagnosis, do you have sloped shoulders? If so, that could make a huge difference in fit/comfort.
    That's interesting that you brought that up because when nolegrl posted her photos, I immediately noticed that her shoulders appear more narrow and sloped than mine. My shoulders are actually very straight. You can see my photos in this thread in comment #11 here.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh by the way ThomGault, hello from just north of you! I'm in the mountains close to Boone.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the S19 and S25, and I find the S25 to sit more comfortably on my back. It naturally seems to hit my butt and for me that feels better than the S19 ending up higher. The only way I can make the S19 fit that way, is to extend the straps a lot, which seems to cause other issues. I still love both bags, but if I'm carrying a lot of stuff the S25 is much more comfortable for me.

I'm 5'6" and have the S25 with the frame, and the S19 without the frame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2