1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A30 with packing cubes

I am considering downsizing two an A30 from a 38L carryon. I normally place my sweater and jacket in the carryon when I arrive at the airport.

If the main compartment is filled with cubes, is there space for a sweater and jacket on top of the cubes?

Also, if the compartment is filled with TB cubes, is there space for a toiletry bag?

I will be traveling with a checked bag, so this is just in case my checked bag is delayed. I am looking at an A30 with a travel laundry stuff sack and an end pocket sack for shoes. In the main compartment I am considering either 1 large and 2 small cubes, or 1 large and 1 small cube depending on the space left over.

Thanks in advance....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s a video you can watch while other folks weigh in: https://youtu.be/sKy0fvBqKRg

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_M View Post
    I am considering downsizing two an A30 from a 38L carryon. I normally place my sweater and jacket in the carryon when I arrive at the airport.

If the main compartment is filled with cubes, is there space for a sweater and jacket on top of the cubes?

Also, if the compartment is filled with TB cubes, is there space for a toiletry bag?

I will be traveling with a checked bag, so this is just in case my checked bag is delayed. I am looking at an A30 with a travel laundry stuff sack and an end pocket sack for shoes. In the main compartment I am considering either 1 large and 2 small cubes, or 1 large and 1 small cube depending on the space left over.

Thanks in advance....
    It'll depend on how you fill your packing cubes as well as the type/material of your sweater and jacket, as well as what you consider "fitting."

If you pack one large plus two small cubes, and over-stuff the cubes, and you have a thick sweater/jacket (e.g., a shetland sweater or authentic peacoat), no, there won't be room for outerwear. If you under-pack the cubes, there might be room for thick outerwear and definitely for thin outerwear. And if you pack them to normal size, there will be room for thin, but not thick, outerwear. Ymmv as all of these adjectives are subjective.
    The toiletry bag faces a similar situation---but, if you use a normal 3-1-1 bag as a toiletry kit, it should fit above packing cubes, but if you have outerwear above the cubes, maybe not.

Of course, if you use one large and one small cube, you change everything.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    It'll depend on how you fill your packing cubes as well as the type/material of your sweater and jacket, as well as what you consider "fitting."

If you pack one large plus two small cubes, and over-stuff the cubes, and you have a thick sweater/jacket (e.g., a shetland sweater or authentic peacoat), no, there won't be room for outerwear. If you under-pack the cubes, there might be room for thick outerwear and definitely for thin outerwear. And if you pack them to normal size, there will be room for thin, but not thick, outerwear. Ymmv as all of these adjectives are subjective.
    The toiletry bag faces a similar situation---but, if you use a normal 3-1-1 bag as a toiletry kit, it should fit above packing cubes, but if you have outerwear above the cubes, maybe not.

Of course, if you use one large and one small cube, you change everything.
    Usually I wear a thin merino wool sweater under a wind/rain jacket similar to a goretex hiking jacket. In winter, I add a toque and mitts. I roll my clothes so the packing cubes may be overstuffed.

It appears that I should err on the side of caution. Looks like the 1 large and 1 small combo may be best.

thanks...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @ThomGault said, a lot depends on how bulky your clothes are - and you can only really tell once you test pack.

FWIW, I have carried my A30 stuffed full - carried backpack style - and had a jacket snugged under the external hand straps. You roll the jacket length wise tuck it through the closed hand straps and fold it back down, letting gravity take care of it or tucking it back through again - depending on how long it is.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an A45, but I used to have an A30. I find that 1 large and 1 small cube work great for me. Then I use clear 3D cube for my 3-1-1 bag, and a travel tray in the remaining space and there's still plenty of room for a light jacket and thin sweater on top.

I also agree that you can use the handles to stuff a jacket or sweater through and carry on the outside of the bag, and that works in backpack or crossbody mode.

P.S. I love the laundry cubes. I never could get into the laundry stuff sacks. But I fold my laundry. I love that TB offers the two different styles.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-10-2018 at 08:55 AM.