1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 - two caches?

Hi All. I'm planning to order the Synapse 19. I'm a teacher and I commute by bike to work so I like to have things organised in my bag. I have a 13'' MacBook and an iPad that I'll need to have with me at work every day along with the usual pencil/pen case, student papers, lunch, etc.

Is it overkill to get two caches? I see in the photos that there are loops for at least one cache. But are there enough loops to hole two caches - one for the laptop and the other for the tablet? I can't seem to tell and I don't want to buy both unnecessarily since I'm purchasing internationally ($$$).

Thanks for your help!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if two caches would both connect to the loops, but unless you are flying and need to slide them out (in which case you couldn't have a stack of electronics anyway, as they are supposed to be a single layer), it may be ok to have the iPad in a cache but not connected to the loops.

What size is your iPad?
    I have a Mini iPad that I keep in a Tom Bihn Side Kick along with other small notebooks and pens. Of course, this is only useful if you have the Mini size, and would find the Side Kick otherwise useful, but it's a great combo. It doesn't provide padding, though. Just thought I'd throw this out as another option.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S19 has two separate sets of loops for caches - one at the front of the main compartment and one at the back - so you can definitely put two in there.

The loops are big enough that you _could_ put two gatekeepers through them (ie put two caches through one set of loops). However, this would make one of them more difficult to access, and also be pretty bulky.

If you have the option, could you get a cache thatís sized for both the laptop and the iPad together?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    The S19 has two separate sets of loops for caches - one at the front of the main compartment and one at the back - so you can definitely put two in there.

The loops are big enough that you _could_ put two gatekeepers through them (ie put two caches through one set of loops). However, this would make one of them more difficult to access, and also be pretty bulky.

If you have the option, could you get a cache thatís sized for both the laptop and the iPad together?
    I didn't realize there was a cache for both. Or do you mean a larger one that I just put both into? It seems there are two sets of loops so I don't really need to worry about this option, but I appreciate you bringing it up since it's one I hadn't considered!

I don't fly/travel that often so I don't need to worry about the stacking issue.

Thanks!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baglady55 View Post
    Or do you mean a larger one that I just put both into?
    Yes, thatís what I meant. Youíd have to lay the iPad on top of the laptop and then measure their combined depth and see if thereís a Cache size that would work. (Full disclosure: I havenít got a Cache but I use something similar that I made myself, and put multiple devices in it all the time.)

Good point about this killing the TSA-friendliness, but for day-to-day use this works well for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you fly frequently to/within the US and don't have Global Entry/TSA PreCheck, then the cache is a great idea, since it's a great safe way to pull your electronics out for scanning without them detaching from the bag.

If you're GE/TSAPre and/or don't fly to/within the US a lot, it's less expensive to get random protective sleeves for your devices.