Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Northern Maine, U.S.A.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Writer's Bag and a Parent's Bag

Hi all,

First-time forum poster. Long-time fan of TB.

I'm searching for a potential solution. I am a writer and a dad (two girls, 9 and 6). We live out in the sticks, so going shopping in our local town is always an ordeal. I need to pack snacks and at least one water bottle, and I usually try to have my travel "writer's kit" with me (usually: a 5x8 notepad, some pens, sometimes an iPad with travel keyboard).

I've tried:
    • the Brain Bag, but it is too big. And, after carrying it for a week at Disney, I don't care for taking it on and off every time I need to get something.
    • a Maker's Bag, but the flap closure is too much for me. I need one-handed access to things, especially if I'm walking around.
    • a Side Kick. Flat out too small. It's great for just my writer's kit, but I find I don't have the room for snacks, sunscreen, and other random kid things I end up carrying.

I'm looking at either a Parent Unit (with some additional organization pouches), or a Pilot.

Do any of you have recommendations?

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider the 10L Co-Pilot as well vs the 13L Pilot...same basic layout and accessibility. The Daylight Briefcase is also a good choice, but doesn't have the separate water bottle pocket.
    Hopefully you know that TB has a good return policy so you can order & test pack to see what will work and return the ones that don't... see the FAQ for the details/requirements... https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

Good luck and let us know what you get!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that I can access a lot of my Synapse 19 (depending on how fully it's packed) by slinging off one shoulder. Not sure if that's one-handed enough for you, but it seems in the right size range.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a parental unit might be the bag for you, super interior organization, but big enough for iPad and notebook.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about a Daylight Briefcase? It's a lot like a really big Side Kick.
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think either the pilot or PU would work. I carry lots of writing /art supplies. I'd personally prefer the PU because I think it would "carry better" on one's shoulder. However, if you do any traveling - vacations, business, etc - the pilot would make more budget sense because it is better luggage. I think with the PU, all of the kids stuff would fit into the external pockets and your stuff fit inside the main compartment. I'd suggest halcyon as well because it's more forgiving if you have oddly shaped items.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by wynlyre View Post
    Hi all,

First-time forum poster. Long-time fan of TB.

I'm searching for a potential solution. I am a writer and a dad (two girls, 9 and 6). We live out in the sticks, so going shopping in our local town is always an ordeal. I need to pack snacks and at least one water bottle, and I usually try to have my travel "writer's kit" with me (usually: a 5x8 notepad, some pens, sometimes an iPad with travel keyboard).

I've tried:
    • the Brain Bag, but it is too big. And, after carrying it for a week at Disney, I don't care for taking it on and off every time I need to get something.
    • a Maker's Bag, but the flap closure is too much for me. I need one-handed access to things, especially if I'm walking around.
    • a Side Kick. Flat out too small. It's great for just my writer's kit, but I find I don't have the room for snacks, sunscreen, and other random kid things I end up carrying.

I'm looking at either a Parent Unit (with some additional organization pouches), or a Pilot.

Do any of you have recommendations?

Thanks!
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can definitely recommend a PU to organize a lot of small random kid stuff like sunscreens and snacks. I like Size 1 Travel Stuff sacks, Mini or Small OPs, or Q-kits for further in-bag organization.

You can see a lot of variations of what I carry here:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ost161500.html

The pockets encroach on each other so you have to keep everything slim, but it sounds like you can put your iPad in the main pocket and put most of the kids stuff in the side pockets. I like tall slim things (sunscreen spray or a water bottle) at the ends of the main pocket because of how the bag curves up towards the strap attachment points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northern Maine, U.S.A.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all!

I've ordered a P.U. and a Pilot to test. I'm leaning heavily towards the P.U. right now, because I love being able to organize things and it looks like the P.U. might be more forgiving of random things than the Pilot.