Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little help deciding...

So I've decided that an S25 is the right size for me for an EDC and travel bag but I'm still torn (pun intended) on which material to get. I'm a photographer and I've used Domke bags forever but I've been wanting/needing a backpack for various reasons and wanted something dual purpose. My daily carry in my Domke F3X-B is a Leica M3, a couple rolls of film, meter, another lens and sometimes another body. All that will go in a little divider bag and sit near the bottom. Plus my phone/wallet/keys, a light jacket or a sweatshirt or fleece (gets cold at work), sometimes gym clothes/shoes, lunch in tupperware and maybe some other odds and ends. Travel will be done with packing cubes and I think I'll have plenty of room.

All that being said, I'm not rough on my bags or gear but I don't necessarily baby them either. I'm not gonna go out of my way to scrape stuff on the ground or against walls. I really like the way the black halcyon looks and like that it's a little lighter but I don't want to get it if it's going to start getting blowouts after 2-3 years or if the DWR is going to come off within that same amount of time. I use NikWax on my Patagonia shell and it works great so I assume I can recoat the bag with that as well but I'm mostly worried about holes. Should I be worried?

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
    All that being said, I'm not rough on my bags or gear but I don't necessarily baby them either. I'm not gonna go out of my way to scrape stuff on the ground or against walls. I really like the way the black halcyon looks and like that it's a little lighter but I don't want to get it if it's going to start getting blowouts after 2-3 years or if the DWR is going to come off within that same amount of time. I use NikWax on my Patagonia shell and it works great so I assume I can recoat the bag with that as well but I'm mostly worried about holes. Should I be worried?
    No need to worry. If you treat it like something you want to keep for a long time, you'll get plenty of good use out of it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a S19 in black halcyon that I have been using almost daily for over a year and it still looks almost new. I don't baby it but it doesn't see hard use either. I don't think you should worry, it has been a pretty durable material for my use. I think you have the right idea with the halcyon too, it is lighter than the other materials and as such I favor using it for most everyday stuff. The material is also very smooth so it doesn't snag and catch on things or pick up hairs and lint, which I very much like.

So in my case it's not quite the 2-3 years as you're wondering but I haven't seen anything that would make me believe it would suffer as you said a 'blowout' in the next few years.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should I be worried?
    Not at all. I have used my black Halcyon S25 for several years, both as a travel bag and as EDC, and it looks as good as the day it arrived. I donít go out of my way to beat it up but certainly donít baby it. Itís a tough bag.

Also, as a fellow photographer and Domke fan, Iíll often either stick a Tenba insert into the bottom of the main S25 compartment or shove my whole Domke F803 into it. (The latter isnít terribly elegant.)

TLDR: Itís a great bag. Buy it.

Earth!
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am downright terrible to my bags, and I have never managed to break, tear, wear out, or rip a TB bag. I've messed up *plenty* of others, though. Halcyon is my favorite, and it's a trooper. I've been using my S25 for 3 years, no problem. The only things you want to look out for are white, chalky walls and deodorant (don't ask). But I've never had trouble wiping the fabric clean. I like to use baby wipes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, I think I'm pretty confident with the black halcyon at this point. Now if I could just settle on size which I know is covered on an almost daily basis here.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you leaning toward the S25 size? That seems like the right decision if you want to fit gym clothes/shoes and your lunch in with the other items.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    Are you leaning toward the S25 size? That seems like the right decision if you want to fit gym clothes/shoes and your lunch in with the other items.
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards the S25 but my problem is I see posts like THIS and THIS and feel like I can do similar packs with compression cubes. But they I remember my wife is not a "minimalist packer" and I'll need space for her overflow probably Scrunch Face. If I need a larger bag or another bag I could always get a Pilot or Co-Pilot or an A30. Honestly I probably won't carry gym clothes too often.

Forum Member
    NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the owner of a (black halcyon) S25, I have never wanted it to be smaller. It's a bag that does a good job of compressing and looking smaller when you don't need the extra space. That 25L is distributed among a lot of pockets, so it never feels like a big bag, although it will hold a lot if you really need it to.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards the S25 but my problem is I see posts like THIS and THIS and feel like I can do similar packs with compression cubes. But they I remember my wife is not a "minimalist packer" and I'll need space for her overflow probably Scrunch Face. If I need a larger bag or another bag I could always get a Pilot or Co-Pilot or an A30. Honestly I probably won't carry gym clothes too often.
    You might find it helpful to pile all your stuff neatly in as compact a square/rectangle as you can and use a ruler to measure the length/width/height... do your basic math and calculate what cubic volume you seem to want to carry. Google can easily convert cubic inches to liters...
    It's not perfect and not necessarily how you will use the available space in a pack, but it will give you another frame of reference to see if the S19, S25, or BB 36L are closest to the amount of stuff you want to carry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    You might find it helpful to pile all your stuff neatly in as compact a square/rectangle as you can and use a ruler to measure the length/width/height... do your basic math and calculate what cubic volume you seem to want to carry. Google can easily convert cubic inches to liters...
    It's not perfect and not necessarily how you will use the available space in a pack, but it will give you another frame of reference to see if the S19, S25, or BB 36L are closest to the amount of stuff you want to carry.
    Thanks! I'll actually give that a try tomorrow when I can get all my stuff together. That could help visualize it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I ordered a Black 525/Island S25 this morning. I went with my original idea with the ballistic just to have that extra sense of security with wear/tear. I was packing for a weekend trip to visit my parents and used my Filson duffle I have been using for travel and just realized that I probably need the extra space that the S25 offers. I think I *could* get down to an S19 size bag to travel with if I didn't need to carry a second pair of shoes sometimes and I had less bulky cotton items. But for now I think the S25 will treat me well and maybe I'll pick up an S19 in the future when I'm able to carry smaller.