Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torn between colors on the SCB

I recently got a SK in cloud balistic 525 and absolutely love it especially seeing that it turned out being much darker than what it shows online, but now I'm hooked on TB (of course). My big purchase is going to be an A30 in Steel/Wasabi when I can afford it and I want a personal bag to go with it, but still be able to fit inside it. While I love the SK, it kind of feels like its shaped like a large brick and from what I've heard, the cafe bags are better about forming to your body. I'm leaning toward the SCB, but I'm not sure what color to go with. I want something to go well with the A30 and for everyday, while still looking good no matter what color my clothes are that day. I usually carry a small 14oz nalgene, a small wallet, phone, kindle paperwhite, notebook, planner, keys, and a couple of extras like lotion, stick sunscreen, small measuring tape, ect. Would anyone be willing to post pictures of them wearing clothes that don't especially match with their SCB color?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMoonMoon View Post
    I recently got a SK in cloud balistic 525 and absolutely love it especially seeing that it turned out being much darker than what it shows online, but now I'm hooked on TB (of course). My big purchase is going to be an A30 in Steel/Wasabi when I can afford it and I want a personal bag to go with it, but still be able to fit inside it. While I love the SK, it kind of feels like its shaped like a large brick and from what I've heard, the cafe bags are better about forming to your body. I'm leaning toward the SCB, but I'm not sure what color to go with. I want something to go well with the A30 and for everyday, while still looking good no matter what color my clothes are that day. I usually carry a small 14oz nalgene, a small wallet, phone, kindle paperwhite, notebook, planner, keys, and a couple of extras like lotion, stick sunscreen, small measuring tape, ect. Would anyone be willing to post pictures of them wearing clothes that don't especially match with their SCB color?
    I almost posted a similar question last week. What colors are in your wardrobe? I recently pared down my clothes so that on any given day I am either wearing a base of black or navy (sometimes both since dark-wash jeans are navy). So in my small TB bags I have a black version and a Deep Blue 525 Ballistic version. My next purchase will include a Dawn Travel Cubelet which I expect can go with the black days and the navy days.

Regarding coordinating with the larger travel bag (A30 in your case, A45 in mine) I wanted to avoid having a matching small bag and travel bag because I thought it might make the small bag look more like... I don't know really, maybe more like luggage? Or part of a set? I felt it would make me stand out in a way that wasn't true to how I normally look. But I know for some people, being able to match your everyday bag and your travel bag would be an amazing thing, so it really depends on how you like to dress normally. Do you normally wear a lot of colour or do you stick to neutrals? Do you wear neutral clothes with bright accessories, or bright clothes with neutral accessories? Or none of the above? :-)

Forum Member
    NC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big are your planner and notebook? You may be better off with the MCB, although if you can fit all that in the SK, you'll be fine with the SCB.

I use an SCB as my purse - I have one in red blend (which is gorgeous but clashes with a lot) and one in black, but honestly I stick with the black one most of the time. If I'm carrying my (large) planner or a water bottle, I go for the MCB.

I got my SCB to fit inside an A30 - and it does, although it's not as comfortable fit in the end pocket as I expected. The SK is better for that.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to your new TB obsession...

The halcyon fabric is more pliable than the 525 or 1050 ballistics, so any bag in halcyon will conform to your body a bit more than ballistic. With that being said, the SK is a horizontal layout and the SCB is vertical so it will depend on your body shape, preference and whether you have the bag hanging to the front, side, or back of your body...

Since you're fairly new to TB you might not realize that they are decreasing the amount of Cordura they are using (the Red Blend mentioned above), so the exterior 525 ballistic and 400 halcyon colours you see in the SK & SCB are your only real options unless you buy a used Cordura bag on Ebay or something...

Black is a safe choice and the Deep Blue is probably the next most 'neutral' choice.
    Note that there are some 1050 ballistic Steel/Iberian Side Kicks available right now... which I think may not be common in the future as TB seems to be using the newer lighter 525 ballistics for the smaller bags...

There is also a new lovely deep grey 525 ballistic called Nebulous that TB is introducing in the Synapse 19 and the Truck... it's not in the smaller bags yet, but it's logical to assume that it will be in time...depends on when you 'need' your bag. Smilie

You can email or call the amazing Customer Service folks and ask for swatches of the materials that you are interested in... it's not the same as seeing them in a full sized bag, but it's WAY better than the inaccuracy of a computer screen.

And hopefully you know that you can return bags after test packing them (works best if you're in the US), if you want to see more than one colour/material - please read the full FAQ for the rules
    https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq38

Keep us posted on what you pick!

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to your new TB obsession...

Black is a safe choice and the Deep Blue is probably the next most 'neutral' choice.
    Note that there are some 1050 ballistic Steel/Iberian Side Kicks available right now... which I think may not be common in the future as TB seems to be using the newer lighter 525 ballistics for the smaller bags...

There is also a new lovely deep grey 525 ballistic called Nebulous that TB is introducing in the Synapse 19 and the Truck... it's not in the smaller bags yet, but it's logical to assume that it will be in time...depends on when you 'need' your bag. Smilie

You can email or call the amazing Customer Service folks and ask for swatches of the materials that you are interested in... it's not the same as seeing them in a full sized bag, but it's WAY better than the inaccuracy of a computer screen.

Keep us posted on what you pick!
    Thanks for telling me about being able to ask for swatches, that's super cool and I had no idea. Does it cost anything? Now that you brought up that there was a steel ballistic SK, it looks online exactly like my cloud/ultraviolet looks in person...... interesting. I feel like those swatches will be a life saver in the future. And Nebulous looks gorgeous, i just don't want to match Steel too closely. I might have to go with black once that comes out....

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I almost posted a similar question last week. What colors are in your wardrobe? I recently pared down my clothes so that on any given day I am either wearing a base of black or navy (sometimes both since dark-wash jeans are navy). So in my small TB bags I have a black version and a Deep Blue 525 Ballistic version. My next purchase will include a Dawn Travel Cubelet which I expect can go with the black days and the navy days.

Regarding coordinating with the larger travel bag (A30 in your case, A45 in mine) I wanted to avoid having a matching small bag and travel bag because I thought it might make the small bag look more like... I don't know really, maybe more like luggage? Or part of a set? I felt it would make me stand out in a way that wasn't true to how I normally look. But I know for some people, being able to match your everyday bag and your travel bag would be an amazing thing, so it really depends on how you like to dress normally. Do you normally wear a lot of colour or do you stick to neutrals? Do you wear neutral clothes with bright accessories, or bright clothes with neutral accessories? Or none of the above? :-)
    Dawn looks amazing (wishing for it in SCB) and that's a really good point on the matching vs. not matching. I love having a grey or tan purse or bag because it goes with absolutely everything, but I don't really want my SCB to match my A30. My pants are usually neutrals while my shirts are colorful, but usually more on the dark cool colors side. I was thinking about getting olive, but I just want to see more picture of it on people not wearing just black, white, or grey. The other side is that olive looks really close to military green and not very professional, I wish the darker greens that I see in the past post on the forum and google still existed......

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catherder View Post
    How big are your planner and notebook? You may be better off with the MCB, although if you can fit all that in the SK, you'll be fine with the SCB.

I use an SCB as my purse - I have one in red blend (which is gorgeous but clashes with a lot) and one in black, but honestly I stick with the black one most of the time. If I'm carrying my (large) planner or a water bottle, I go for the MCB.

I got my SCB to fit inside an A30 - and it does, although it's not as comfortable fit in the end pocket as I expected. The SK is better for that.
    I forgot my kindle at home today, but here is a picture of most of the stuff that I carry. Would you mind showing me a picture of your SCB in the A30?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of my bags don't match, but coordinate (so black and various shades of greys). Some folks like to contrast. Unless you get the same color and the same fabric, they aren't going to be matchy-matchy. Even a steel ballistic and a steel parapack don't match. A steel and a cloud bag will coordinate, but not match. Looks like Nebulous will be closer to steel than to Cloud.

PS and Dawn IS amazing. It can change color depending on light and what its paired with. Sometimes its blue, sometimes its purple, sometimes it is almost grey.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 08-08-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds pretty much exactly what I want....... I wish SCB was in it......

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawn is a limited edition colour (phasing out now/soon) in 210 ballistic...it's lighter weight, so probably won't see it in any larger items. TB did a very limited run of Shop Bags in it... the Cubelet and Travel Cubelet have it as an exterior... the new 'Truck' bag is being made with it... other than that it is seems to only be used as an interior fabric. So if you do like it, buy it soon...

Olive 525 ballistic is also limited edition... since it's a heavier fabric, it is on the exterior of the medium sized bags like the SE, SK, DLBC, DLBP, Cafe Bags, etc. so again, if you think you'd like it, buy it soon before it's gone. FWIW, I have a SCB and Luminary in the Olive - partly because I think it looks amazing with 210 ballistic Canyon (a coppery colour now also discontinued)... it doesn't look military/khaki green to me at all. To me it's a lovely autumnal colour... the Olive, Mars Red, Canyon, and Burnt Orange all look like New England fall to me Smilie
    You can see Olive/Canyon in The Stowaway product page

Here's some colours in afternoon daylight: from the left, swatch of the new 525 Nebulous ballistic; center 1050 Steel ballistic Pocket Pouch; right Northwest Sky 200 halcyon...all sitting on a 525 Cloud Pop Tote... the bright light is slightly bleaching

Torn between colors on the SCB-img_20180808_173037-jpg

And some more: clockwise from top left... Dawn 210 ballistic Cubelet; NWSky 200 halcyon; Deep Blue 525 ballistic Cubelet; Steel 1050 ballistic Pocket Pouch; Olive 525 ballistic Travel Cubelet; new Nebulous 525 ballistic swatch in middle, again all sitting on a Cloud 525 ballistic Pop Tote

Torn between colors on the SCB-img_20180808_172952-1-jpg

The new Nebulous is a deeper darker grey than Steel...seems to have more black in it... the Steel always has a hint of deep green in it to me, which shows up more if you look at it in bright sunlight (I don't get the green in the photo, but I do in person)...
    I didn't show these with Island 200 halcyon, but there's a bunch of us who are big Steel/Island and Cloud/Island fans...

HTH
    Last edited by G42; 08-08-2018 at 06:52 PM.

Atlanta, GA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a throwback pic from @peregrina with an olive cordura medium cafe bag, so the ballistic would have more of sheen to it. I've never seen Olive 1050/525d ballistic in person, but all my years on the forum, the vast majority of people who have olive in any fabric says it leans far more autumnal/neutral than anything resembling military green.

Quote Originally Posted by peregrina View Post

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMoonMoon View Post
    That sounds pretty much exactly what I want....... I wish SCB was in it......

Swatches are free.

Also, there are only 3 Olive SCBs left, so if you might want it, act now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's easiest to pick a color that goes with most of your clothes -- for me, that's blue -- and then mix it up with neutrals such as silver (cloud or steel) and black. Anyway, that's my strategy. I like the Deep Blue a lot. For a while they were pairing it with a grassy green interior, which was not my thing at all, but now it comes in the Small Cafe Bag with a cloud lining, which is a lot nicer.

The olive is beautiful too. I think it's a great color.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-09-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dare I suggest that matching/coordinating might not be obligatory? If you are attracted to matching, great...But otherwise, Id say heygo for the colors that attract YOU and that might be different depending on the size of the bag and they may or may not harmonize together...and that can be fun too if the bags work for You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugg!!!! Now I'm tempted to get an olive SCB and a Mars Red TC....... I hadn't even looked at the TC until @G42 posted those lovely pictures. The olive and mars red seem like they could work with most outfits and go well with the steel A30 while not matching it. Maybe I should also add a dawn TC too........
    Last edited by MsMoonMoon; 08-09-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast