Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP for Dr Bronner Bar Soap

I have tried a couple things for containing a bar of Dr Bronner's bar soap in my travel backpack. Plastic holder was bulky and didn't locked close too well. Wrapping in a dry wash cloth works, but inconvenient and uncontained in pack. Cutting the bar down to fit a GoTubb wasted soap and was different than normal form so felt different using it and thus didn't like it. So I look to a organizer pouch solution.

I would dry the bar off before placing it in OP, mesh sided would be optional I think with pros (air circulation for drying) and cons (square corners can tangle with mesh holes). I am also learning from my now 1 year old clear OP with ballistic backing, the material relaxes nicely to accommodate 50%? more volume than when I got it. (I used it for receipts and half sheet size papers. I was extremely disappointed in capacity when I got it with able to hold just a thin stack of papers, now I could fit a multi tool, bar of soap, pens, etc. It now can take the shape of pouch more than a flat organizer)

I only want the OP to fit a single full bar of Dr Bronner soap without much extra space to make the total package as small as possible. Thinking a mni could fit in time after material relaxed (Open to non-OP or other commercial product suggestions)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend something like this instead:

matadorup.com/products/flatpak-soap-bar-case?variant=12135840874609
    Current Everyday Carry: S19 in Cloud/Island, 15C Cache, SE in Wasabi, SC in Fjord; Cubelets in Dawn, Canyon, and Grass, COW in Original Halcyon
    Current Travel Carry: A30 in Original Halcyon/Ultraviolet, DLBP in Nordic, PCSB in Sitka, Large TT in Sitka, SSK in Wasabi, 3DOC in Solar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use a beeswax wrap to wrap and put in the OP? The warmth of your fingers can make the wrap's folded ends "stick" together.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering a small cloth bag like https://osmiaorganics.com/products/soap-travel-bag but I haven't fully decided yet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a sample pack of j r liggett shampoo from amazon the four bars came in this zip pouch. My full bar of soap fits right in there and dries hard not sticky. I usually cut the bars in half with a hack saw for travel, that seems to be plenty for a week or so including daily laundry, ivory suds up really well in the sink and rinses fast and clean in the shower. Iím always on the look out for a better built breathable bag like this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ziplock bag

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traps in h2o results in mushy soap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes hubs uses a plastic bag. He dries the bar first, like you would with an OP, and pops it into a zip lock or fold-top sandwich bag. I think he leaves it open while we're at our destination and only closes it in-transit. It works better than I expected.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xnykid View Post
    Traps in h2o results in mushy soap
    anything that doesn't let water out (which seems like a necessary condtion) is by definition trapping it in.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kieri View Post
    I would recommend something like this instead:

matadorup.com/products/flatpak-soap-bar-case?variant=12135840874609
    The flatpak soap bar case is just what I was looking for- simple, water resistant, appears durable, slightly overbuilt. I am going to buy one to try out. I will report back if I remember.

Beeswax wrap. I have not ever had the product, I will have to check the grocery co-op store the next time I go. I have used the Dr Bronner original packaging successfully now for 4-5 times. It is defiantly breaking down, but achieves the objective for now.

Ziplock bag - I think it is cheap solution that can work. I worry about soap scum build-up and washing is an short term option. It will break at some point and murphy's law says it will happen at worst time. The other issue is I haven't bought or have plastic bags for a couple years as I use glass or stainless containers.

Waterproof vs breathable for soap. The flatpak, cotton drawstring, and JR Liggetts pouches are Cordura, cotton, or appear Cordura like fabric. My S25 is cordura fabric and it will get wet, water will drip off, but the contents stay dry. The material must allow air through micro holes that are smaller than a bead of water to flow through

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will probably give that flatpack case a try. I keep a flat plastic hair brush in my toilet kit, 3D mesh, I rarely use it in my hair but every day to dry my soap.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Ziplock bag - I think it is cheap solution that can work. I worry about soap scum build-up and washing is an short term option. It will break at some point and murphy's law says it will happen at worst time. The other issue is I haven't bought or have plastic bags for a couple years as I use glass or stainless containers.
    FWIW, it's definitely going to break at some point. But, I always have three or four extra baggies in my bag. They're just super handy in a huge number of situations.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xnykid View Post
    I will probably give that flatpack case a try. I keep a flat plastic hair brush in my toilet kit, 3D mesh, I rarely use it in my hair but every day to dry my soap.

I haven't seen one of those in years. Where can I get one?

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found kits at Daiso that have tiny soap dishes in them. Perfect for the travel JR Liggets soaps.

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I haven't seen one of those in years. Where can I get one?

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk
    Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast