Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xnykid View Post
    I saw a passenger in Italy with a standard roller bag be told to go wait in the line to check that bag. The bins on their plans are smaller than in the USA. In Europe I mostly use an A30. If it’s only 7 days I use the S25. Much prefer the synapse because it’s not to big to carry every day. It’s probably my favorite travel companion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I think gate agents subconscious apply special rules for rollerbags based on looks alone
    Last edited by ThomGault; 08-24-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your international travel is going to take you to Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands, be aware that the carry-on rules stipulate a weight of 7kg. I find that the A30 comes in at just under this when fully packed (comfortably full, not crammed full).

When I was looking for a bag for one-bag travel I looked at the Minaal, because one of the founders is from New Zealand and there was a bit of a buzz about it here at one time. I didn't like how the interior was divided up with bits and pieces and assumed a certain lifestyle that required travelling with a laptop. This all adds to the weight too, almost a half kg used up with dividers I don't want. I also didn't like that the only colour option at the time was black, although they have since diversified into grey! Although my A30 is a not so exciting original black halcyon on the outside, I love opening it up and seeing the wasabi interior.

As for the Tortuga, it is ugly, heavy, and full of compartments designed to fit other people's stuff. It might not meet carry-on requirements on the airlines I normally use.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    lawrence ks
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heresy? Tom Bihn vs. Tortuga vs. Minaal for "One Bag" Travel?

I first learned about TB by watching a guy on YouTube named Chase Reeves. He is a bit of a bag addict and wild child but he does very in depth reviews on bags that most of us never herd of.

Last edited by xnykid; 08-24-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do not have an Aeronaut 45 yet, as the lack of a functional hip belt/frame in the past eliminated it from my consideration, I am now seriously re-considering now that those are add on options. Thank you for starting this discussion thread! I have also been assessing various bag options to include the pending Peak Design travel backpack, but I keep returning to the lighter weight factor of the Aeronaut 45, lack of fussiness, and great build quality. Since I do not generally travel with a laptop, a laptop compartment is wasted space for my travel needs, and I appreciate the open design of the Aeronaut.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, if you did ever need to travel with a laptop you could add in a cache or put a daylight briefcase inside the A45.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heresy? Tom Bihn vs. Tortuga vs. Minaal for "One Bag" Travel?

My story:

I lived out of an A45 and pilot for 3 years. In the last 6 months I moved to an A30 and WF pairing. And then travelled for a continuous 6 months after that.

I went to Morocco, Egypt, through central America, turkey, most of Western Europe, Canada, Iceland. The A45 was solid. Itís comfortable enough to carry but I wouldnít be tracking etc with it. But if youíll travel like me to a place, drop it off at the hostel then just carry around your day pack in the place youíre visiting, then the A45 is magic.

My tip though. Highly consider the A30. I find the A45 is so huge that itís easy to overpack and be overweight. Iíll be posting about this in the next week or so for a new thread.

Ohh and to a previous poster. Iíve flown maybe 5 times on Ryanair and never been asked a question about my A45/Pilot combo or my A30/WF combo.

Ohh and as for the competition. That tortuga. Maybe just duct tap a cardboard box to your back. Be identical to that hideous bag. Iíve seen one tortuga in the wild and tried it on etc terrible fabric and quality. Just not the same as TB.

The Mubarak never heard of but that design is terrible. I like the open space of the Aeronaut design. Pack what you want how you want.

Last edited by LordAnubis; 08-25-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordAnubis View Post
    Ohh and to a previous poster. I’ve flown maybe 5 times on Ryanair and never been asked a question about my A45/Pilot combo or my A30/WF combo.
    Thanks. I was really looking for info on the A45 as a personal item one-bag solution, as Ryanair no longer allows a free carry-on. :/

Forum Member
    Perth, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Thanks. I was really looking for info on the A45 as a personal item one-bag solution, as Ryanair no longer allows a free carry-on. :/
    Oh really!?!? Hehe. That sucks. It def wonít pass as that! Heresy? Tom Bihn vs. Tortuga vs. Minaal for "One Bag" Travel?

Forum Member
    Sunny Singapore
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My story:

I lived out of an A45 and pilot for 3 years. In the last 6 months I moved to an A30 and WF pairing. And then travelled for a continuous 6 months after that.

I went to Morocco, Egypt, through central America, turkey, most of Western Europe, Canada, Iceland. The A45 was solid. It’s comfortable enough to carry but I wouldn’t be tracking etc with it. But if you’ll travel like me to a place, drop it off at the hostel then just carry around your day pack in the place you’re visiting, then the A45 is magic.

My tip though. Highly consider the A30. I find the A45 is so huge that it’s easy to overpack and be overweight. I’ll be posting about this in the next week or so for a new thread.

Ohh and to a previous poster. I’ve flown maybe 5 times on Ryanair and never been asked a question about my A45/Pilot combo or my A30/WF combo.

Ohh and as for the competition. That tortuga. Maybe just duct tap a cardboard box to your back. Be identical to that hideous bag. I’ve seen one tortuga in the wild and tried it on etc terrible fabric and quality. Just not the same as TB.

The Mubarak never heard of but that design is terrible. I like the open space of the Aeronaut design. Pack what you want how you want.

I'm curious about your A30/WF combo... Did you use both as carry-on? If yes, what is the carry-on weight limit of airlines you flew?
    Last edited by everythingslower; 08-26-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very much like the idea of the Minaal/Tortuga bags (and those like it) as I generally carry my laptop. But I always fear I'll have to check the bag anyway due to space... so it goes into a smaller personal item anyway. So that made my decision to stick with the Aeronaut.

The other big reason is after buying (and returning) both the Minaal and Outbreaker, they didn't match the quality feeling of the Aeronaut. They were nice, don't get me wrong. I think they'll hold up. But the quality of the TB stuff was just so nice. I do think TB is lacking in that one bag crowd, but something tells me it would get into a price point that is just too much.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep on waiting for Tom Bihn to roll out a product for the one bag space. Something exactly like the Tortuga or Minaal. It would be nice to have the quality and the one bag ability. A scaled down Hero’s Journey with a laptop sleeve would be awesome.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelManager View Post
    I keep on waiting for Tom Bihn to roll out a product for the one bag space. Something exactly like the Tortuga or Minaal. It would be nice to have the quality and the one bag ability. A scaled down Hero’s Journey with a laptop sleeve would be awesome.
    Can you delve into your definition of "one bag space?" It looks to me like there are quite a few 'one bags,' depending on one's needs, so perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what you're thinking about.

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh really!?!? Hehe. That sucks. It def won’t pass as that! Heresy? Tom Bihn vs. Tortuga vs. Minaal for "One Bag" Travel?

I'm currently fantasizing about packing 2/3 of the A45's main compartment, and using tie-down straps to bring the bag under the new 40x25x20cm dimensions. :\

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Can you delve into your definition of "one bag space?" It looks to me like there are quite a few 'one bags,' depending on one's needs, so perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what you're thinking about.
    I suspect they mean what I had meant, something that is likely more backpack, maybe double as a duffle in a pinch. But also have dedicated tech/organization. As much as I like TB, the rail system is... not that great. I have it on my S25 and more often than not, it's annoying to slip back in. And you have to buy different sizes (ok, you don't HAVE to...). Yes, the Tri-Star exists, but it looks far more luggage/business and definitely is brief/duffle first.

I think their point on a smaller hero's journey with a dedicated easy laptop access system is spot on. Though, it would need to be more backpack focused as the thread on the downsides of the hero's journey really points out deficiencies at the pricetag. Again, this probably won't happen because it would probably get ridiculously expensive.

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tortuga is a good company, and they have both maximum carry and smaller bags. The quality is not as good as TB. One of my Tortuga bags has lasted for years despite my daughter's abusive habits; another lasted me only about three trips. Thankfully the customer service is good, and they replaced the bag free of charge. I find Tortuga bags to be very comfortable and a bit more stylish than TB, but I know that I can trust TB not to fall apart. And let's not forget TB's legendary organization/O-rings. I've studied but not gotten my hands on a Minaal, but I don't like the way they pack. I don't know if this helps or not. I don't have any Aeronauts, but I do have a couple of TB and Tortuga packing videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt4...LIDvfEN_XRpLUg
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast