Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halcyon DLBP Fitting into any Waist Bags?

Hi everyone,

My inaugural post/question is on whether the halcyon Daylight Backpack will fit into any waist bags currently on offer - not the other way around Big Grin

I'm considering getting a Side Effect in addition to a DLBP, but given the Side Effect is on the more compact side (which is what I'm trying to go for), I wasn't sure this would be feasible.

Alternatively, if anyone has a halcyon DLBP and can fold it up as small as possible and take measurements, I'd be very very grateful.

Thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
    Hi everyone,

My inaugural post/question is on whether the halcyon Daylight Backpack will fit into any waist bags currently on offer - not the other way around Big Grin

I'm considering getting a Side Effect in addition to a DLBP, but given the Side Effect is on the more compact side (which is what I'm trying to go for), I wasn't sure this would be feasible.

Alternatively, if anyone has a halcyon DLBP and can fold it up as small as possible and take measurements, I'd be very very grateful.

Thank you!
    Hi @porkchop, and welcome to the forums. A folded, Halcyon Daylight Backpack will fit into a Side Effect, but it won't leave you with a lot of extra storage room. Nearly a year ago, @louisvilledanahys started a thread: Daylight BC/BP into a stuff sack? to ask what is the smallest sized Stuff Sack that can be used to hold a (folded or rolled) Daylight Briefcase or Daylight Backpack. I posted pictures of a rolled Halcyon Daylight Backpack (DLBP) in a Size #1 Travel Stuff Sack -- the smallest of the Travel Stuff Sacks -- and followed up with pictures of the folded Halcyon Daylight Backpack and Daylight Briefcase in either side of a Small Snake Charmer, and of the Daylight Briefcase in a 3D Organizer Cube.

The Daylight Briefcase folds up slightly smaller than the Daylight Backpack, so I'm not sure it would be as easy to fold up into a 1.0 liter 3D Organizer Cube, but it would certainly fit into a 1.5 liter Side Effect, which is larger in every dimension than a 3D Organizer Cube. You can also fit it into the yet larger Side Kick (that is probably not quite as comfortable to wear around your waist as the Side Effect, which is not quite as tall), or a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, which is larger still, and could probably be rigged to be worm around your waist. I'll excerpt one of my posts, but you should go read the whole thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    A few more pictures of the Halcyon Daylight Backpack and Daylight Briefcase packed into different accessories:

(These used my Original Black Halcyon Daylight Briefcase and Daylight Backpack, so I didn't have to unload straps, laptop caches, etc. just in order to roll/fold up the bag that is in use).

First, in Halcyon, the Daylight Briefcase actually packs flatter than the Daylight Backpack. (From the product page specs, the Halcyon DLBC weight is 9.2 oz / 260 grams; the Halcyon DLBP weight is 12.3 oz / 349 grams, and it also holds a larger volume). I can fold it into a 1 liter 3D Organizer Cube. While I can also do this for the DLBP, there's more bulge, and its a much tighter fit.

Both of these can be carried, folded, in the two sides of the Small Snake Charmer:

Small Snake Charmer in Monarch Halcyon. Left side holds a folded Daylight Briefcase in Original (Black) Halcyon. Right side holds a folded/rolled Daylight Backpack in Original (Black) Halcyon.

Zipped up Small Snake Charmer in Monarch Halcyon with both Original Halcyon Daylight Briefcase and Daylight Backpack. (Note that I could also have just inserted the New Black Halcyon Daylight Backpack that was rolled into the Size #1 TSS in the earlier post directly into one side of the Snake Charmer and zipped it up -- it would fit, but tend to bulge a bit more because of being "rolled" rather than flat-packed).

A comparison of the rolled up Black Halcyon Daylight Backpack in Size #1 TSS placed inside a Small Yarn Stuff Sack (about 1.5 liter capacity), with the Small Snake Charmer containing the packed Original Black Halcyon DLBP and DLBC. In the earlier post I mentioned that you could use a small Yarn Stuff Sack for slightly larger items (in between the Size #1 TSS and the Size #2 TSS). A Small Travel Tray (not shown, but also mentioned as an alternative in the earlier post), is about the size of the Small Yarn Stuff Sack, but very slightly taller (when opened). These would all easily fit folded/rolled Cordura Daylight Backpacks/Briefcases, which take up slghtly more room. To "flat-pack" a Cordura Daylight Briefcase, I'd probably use a Side Effect (1.5 liter), which can easily fit this without undue
    Original Halcyon Daylight Briefcase folded into a Solar Clear 3D Organizer Cube, just to show that this works. This also means that you can stored the folded Halcyon DLBC and DLBP anywhere you can stash 2 of these 3D Organizer Cubes -- e.g., into a Side Kick (since it will hold 2 3DOCs side by side), into the pockets in the rear compartment of the Co-Pilot (which are sized for a 3DOC, or slightly underfilled Side Effect), into the Small Cafe Bag, which fits in the 3DOC in its width, etc.

While I can see the use of packing up empty backpacks for use at the destination, and Duffels for use as overflow bags, I don't usually try to fold up the Daylight Briefcase. My imagination runs to friends and relatives who have been co-opted into carrying as many Tom Bihn products as possible to their loved ones overseas -- you know, "Here's the Daylight Backpack and Daylight Briefcase you wanted, packed inside the new Side Kick that you wanted to order". Or, "Here's your Mini Yeoman Duffel folded inside one of the new S525d Ballistic Nylon iIde Effects". Just my random thoughts here.

HTH

moriond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so amazingly thorough - thank you @moriond!