Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urethane coating of my DLBP breaking down (again!)

I've had this problem before, see here: https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post145597

And my new DLBP that I got as an replacement is starting to do the same, at the top, the same place! I bought it in January, so it's only six months old! I don't really have any idea why this is happening. I have never stuffed the bag full, I mostly carry it half empty. Nothings touching the inside lining on top when I use the bag (I use it as an EDC). It hasn't been washed or anything. I don't get it and it's really bugging me. The layout of this bag just works well for me and I like the looks, but I can't really justify getting another one when they keep doing this. Although I think the newer ballistic ones have a different coating, maybe that would hold up better?

Has this happened to anyone else? I just don't get it.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    I've had this problem before, see here: https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tml#post145597

And my new DLBP that I got as an replacement is starting to do the same, at the top, the same place! I bought it in January, so it's only six months old! I don't really have any idea why this is happening. I have never stuffed the bag full, I mostly carry it half empty. Nothings touching the inside lining on top when I use the bag (I use it as an EDC). It hasn't been washed or anything. I don't get it and it's really bugging me. The layout of this bag just works well for me and I like the looks, but I can't really justify getting another one when they keep doing this. Although I think the newer ballistic ones have a different coating, maybe that would hold up better?

Has this happened to anyone else? I just don't get it.
    I don't have the DLBP but haven't seen the problem on any of the bags I have yet (1 year old that I purchased but Ebay and swap items are from 3-6 years ago).

You should contact Customer Service with your concern
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this on the inside of the top of my Halcyon Side Kick after about a year. I assume it is because the top moves so much every time you open it. I think when this question has come up in the past, Customer Service have said it is normal wear and tear.

I would love to see a video on the TB site about how to re-waterproof your TB bag using that Nikwax stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks G42 and Cristina!

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I have seen this on the inside of the top of my Halcyon Side Kick after about a year. I assume it is because the top moves so much every time you open it. I think when this question has come up in the past, Customer Service have said it is normal wear and tear.
    That’s what they said the last time. But it’s good to know I’m not the only one with this issue, because I never read about it here and then to have it happen twice...

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Thanks G42 and Cristina!

That’s what they said the last time. But it’s good to know I’m not the only one with this issue, because I never read about it here and then to have it happen twice...
    Oh, it's been discussed, but the Forum search function isn't always easy...many of us use google search instead...and it probably wasn't started as a thread about 'urethane'
    @moriond may know, she has an insane memory for previous threads!
    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The less durable urethane coating on the Halcyon is the reason Iím still hoping Tom Bihn and team releases the Synapse 25 with ballistic 525 with 210 ballistic interior. 🙏🏻

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should get this combination in the DLBP now that it is available. I still think the DLBP is awesome, especially for travel and packing into bigger bags, but I wouldn't buy another DLBP in Halcyon. Although I still love the looks of Orginal Halcyon... Anyway, I will wait until the Luminary 14 is available before I make a decision about a backpack.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's too bad!
    I've had my Halcyon DLBP for what seems like a long time, but I only use it occasionally. I haven't noticed any peeling. I don't know if there is individual variation, or if it's proportional to usage.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Italy
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has happened to me on a S19 (original Halcyon) and on a DLBP (black Halcyon), always at the top.
    The S19 was replaced, the DLBP was not. Apparently it's related to the type of urethane coating used on the Halcyon.
    I like Halcyon a lot but my next purchases will be in Ballistic or Cordura only.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would happen if they did not use a Urethane coating??

Besides not being water resistant, is there other reasons for its use?

One of the reasons I chose TB was because I did not think they used coatings.
    I was going to buy a Kifaru Antero but found out there materials used a waterproof coating...

Skip to 3:20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlp7fPJ_Fo

Coatings and Treatments
    PU/TPU (polyurethane/thermoplastic polyurethane) — PU coatings/laminates provide waterproofing to the fabric. This coating is applied to the outside of the fabric and is also used in tents and clothing. PU coatings do not last forever (which is why manufacturers never have a lifetime guarantee on the coating). A coating’s lifetime can be diminished by excessive moisture (dry your backpack after a storm), excessive heat, and chemical contaminants (e.g., bleach, salt, chlorine). Extend the lifetime by storing your backpack in cool, dry, and well-ventilated areas. Proper care should help the coating last up to and possibly beyond 15 years. TPU is a specific class of PU that can be molded and reused but still retains the elastic properties of rubber because of its thermosetting characteristics.
    Last edited by PackMan; 09-28-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my DLBP all the time and havenít had an issue. I donít know that Iíd be all that concerned though. I have 20 year old Eagle Creek packing cubes where the interior peeled like that and they still work great.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About a year ago, I had a question about coatings before I bought my TB bags, and actually got a reply from the man himself. Sharing here in case other folks find it useful in the future.

(my question)
    I'm curious as to why the front/back panels aren't lined, especially as Tom himself has admitted that the interior urethane coating is often the weakest aspect? I have an old backpack (admittedly, from another company) where, after 10 years of use, the interior coating has failed and leaves little sticky flakes over my stuff. This is a frustrating reason to retire a bag, so I'm eager to prevent this problem as much as possible.
    (reply from TB Customer Service)
    I was able to reach out to Tom about this question and got back this interesting reply:

"Lining a backpack or bag adds weight, bulk and expense, so wed better have a good reason to do it. Thus we almost never line something for the sake of esthetics: a lining for us is typically an interior panel used to create a separate compartment or a pocket. Sometimes a lining panel is used to create a space to retain a piece of foam for padding or stiffening (or both). Occasionally we do use lining fabric to protect the urethane coated side of the exterior fabric. The bottoms of most of our backpacks are lined because the pointy corners of books or laptop computers can sometimes wear the coating from the inside of the bag; other panels might get lined if theyve shown over time to flex excessively and cause the coating to fail that way.

The Aeronaut is intended to be used to carry mostly soft stuff like clothing (not hard pointy books etc), and we have yet to see any failures of coating on this bag.

Also note, as I said back in the 2003 post, The good news is that the coatings have improved over time, and I see less and less coatings-gone-bad and this is even more true today. Remember not to store your bag when its damp or in a damp area, as the urethane still can degrade faster if left wet."
    I suspect that most bag fabric is coated with urethane because that gives it that stiffness and water resistance that we've come to expect. On my old (non-TB) bag where the coating has worn away, the now-naked fabric feels really light and insubstantial, to the point where you can see between the gaps in the threads. So I guess the fabric+coating are really meant to work together as a system. It's not perfect, but it fills a certain economic breakeven point, I'm sure. I have a daylight backpack in halcyon, but I've found it more useful as a weekend bag instead of daily carry, so I can't speak to that level of wear and tear. All my TB bags (and their coatings!) are still going strong, although I've had them for less a year. Time will tell.

Anyway, OP, I know how you feel. That's a frustrating thing to have happen (twice!), so I hope customer service is able to take care of you.

Germany
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who added to the discussion after I checked in the last time! Customer service contacted me with the offer to exchange my DLBP with a 525er model which uses a different coating. I picked one in Aubergine/Cloud, same as the SCB I recently bought. I will be sad to see my Original Halcyon DLBP go, but fingers crossed for the Aubergine. The replacement should arrive sometime next week.